PDA

View Full Version : Meeting other preppers

2die4
12-09-2012, 01:35 AM
I met a survivalist- beginning prepper for the first time yesterday and it went very well. We talked quite a bit and plan to get together to trade skills and trade ideas. I was expecting a grizzled old guy but was met by a 23 year old. His mentality of being prepared and having basic common sense gave me a bit of relief for the younger generation. I want to hear if any of you had some positive meet and greets outside of the Colony and I want to hear if you had the unfortunate experience of meeting the tin foil hat wearers as well.

smoker1
12-09-2012, 02:08 AM
I got a pleasant surprise last time I was home, My daughter has met a young man who has his head on straight , has a job, has a home and his own firearms who has started putting things by for hard times. That has really taken a load off my mind.
And it does give me some hope for the younger generation.

prepguide
12-09-2012, 11:01 AM
There are those out there who do think like we do, that are training, networking and such. Unfortunately there will never be enough of "us" but more is definitely better. I have had the opportunity to meet a large number of others since I came on board with this lifestyle nearly two decades ago. One rule that remains a constant with me is to go slow when dealing with others. No matter how much I like them initially I make myself go slow and don't give up too much information on myself just in case.

Fortunately that has not been a concern in the vast majority of the cases but there have been a few exceptions. Guys who have turned out to be real whack jobs mentally. So congrats for meeting another of like mind but please remember to take it easy with your own information.

msomnipotent
12-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Not including people from this site, the preppers I have encountered have been real weirdos. But they were all from Craigslist, so I hope it isn't an accurate representation of the kind of people near me. On one hand, I'm glad that there are more preppers than I thought in my area. On the other hand, they are not anything like me and will probably cause more trouble than prevent.

2die4
12-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Oh yeah. Opsec is rule #1!

rentprop1
12-09-2012, 05:04 PM
I have met some real weirdo's as well, several of the other on line survival forums and communities are not superior as the fine folks on this forum, I usually pre judge folks by their writing style and comments and I usually right on, some folks are prepping for no food but have no weapons or they are anti, etc, the whole storing seeds as a main theory of prepping escapes me, usually someone write stuff that makes me roll my eyes and after meeting them in person usually solidifys that, just my .02

2die4
12-17-2012, 02:40 AM
nobody else?

Gunfixr
12-17-2012, 02:44 AM
I got a couple of them who come into the shop.
One is a couple, and I don't know how long they've been at it, but I get the impression they're pretty well set.

The other was just starting out, and we had a couple good discussions and he's really taken off. I think he's now ahead of us, but then, he's single and got a pretty good job.

greg48
12-18-2012, 07:48 PM
i live in a pretty rural community, i believe many are preppers without even knowing it. when SHTF it'll be natural to pull together to survive, also alot of amish around me. the biggest asset in a community will be strong, solid leadership...