PDA

View Full Version : So many empty buildings.

LUNCHBOX
05-30-2011, 04:12 AM
I have been looking around more at all the empty buildings in my area, in town most of all. My concern/question is would these areas be useful or harmful in your location.

Take into consideration your weather, the structure itself (would it be defendable better than your own home) I know what or how I would use the ones in my area or how everyone else probable would anyway.

bacpacker
05-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Out near our place is just starting to build up a little. When we moved here it was all residential and farms. Some small buisiness have moved in now. There are only 2-3 that have moved out and closed. They are all close to the main road that goes thru this area. Our place is much more defensable and a little more hidden away. Plus the food production capabilities we have.

The Stig
05-31-2011, 01:14 AM
Probably depends on the situation. If you need temporary shelter after a wide spread SHTF event, the the abondened buildings could be set up as some sort of shelter, they'd be a positive (albeit this is a very specific and weird scenario.)

Mostly I think they bring lots of problems: vagrants, safety issues, health problems, economic impact, etc. During a SHTF event they provide fuel during fires, missiles during wind events and general rubble during an earthquake.

beginner
05-31-2011, 07:40 AM
Well, If I found a large abandoned warehouse post SHTF , I would make a giant paintball course in it. Except all the paintball guns would be mounted on go-karts you drove around in.... Weeee!

Out near our place is just starting to build up a little. When we moved here it was all residential and farms. Some small buisiness have moved in now. There are only 2-3 that have moved out and closed. They are all close to the main road that goes thru this area. Our place is much more defensable and a little more hidden away. Plus the food production capabilities we have.

This.

Although if I had to "abandon ship" I would consider it as shelter. I'd personally be too paranoid about scavengers / looters coming into the building to see what they can grab. I think there may be more of a chance of that in a building like you suggest rather than a house. I'm thinking "most" people would assume there is less chance of some random building being occupied than a house....

RedJohn
05-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Depending the SHTF and for safety reasons, I would not choose any building to use as shelter. I'd rather go far from civilization as possible and live in a tent.

LUNCHBOX
05-31-2011, 08:23 PM
RJ, I agree about putting distance between you and them. However, I do think these empty buildings will be free housing magnets for some and that in itself creates more of a problem than the others listed due to the fact that they just became a mob of hungry/hateful/hostile individuals. (IMO)

RedJohn
05-31-2011, 10:26 PM
RJ, I agree about putting distance between you and them. However, I do think these empty buildings will be free housing magnets for some and that in itself creates more of a problem than the others listed due to the fact that they just became a mob of hungry/hateful/hostile individuals. (IMO)

Definitely agree with you. I don't want to be next to unprepared people if SHTF. I already don't like it during normal times ...

bacpacker
05-31-2011, 10:34 PM
RJ I agree with your premis of getting out of town and be in a tent or field expedient shelter. I don't want to be in an area where there are abondoned buildings, too close to the population cities for me. If I had no other choice I probably would use one, but would be more comfortable away from areas like that.

izzyscout21
06-01-2011, 01:53 PM
in my experience, the empty buildings become a security risk and almost bought me the farm (Bacpacker, tell you the story later). even if someone is totally harmless when they stumble up on you, you are still running the risk of being compromised. Whether they're looking for scrap copper or they want your supplies, anyone can become harmful given the proper motivation. I'm with the rest of you, get out. Stay away. Don't take the unnecessary risk.

bacpacker
06-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Sounds iinteresting Izzy, can't wait to hear that one.

LUNCHBOX
06-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks Izzy, now I want to hear it too.

TroubleShooter
06-16-2011, 12:03 AM

You will know where they are...........and where they will likely return to.

piranha2
06-19-2011, 02:33 AM
in my experience, the empty buildings become a security risk and almost bought me the farm (Bacpacker, tell you the story later). even if someone is totally harmless when they stumble up on you, you are still running the risk of being compromised. Whether they're looking for scrap copper or they want your supplies, anyone can become harmful given the proper motivation. I'm with the rest of you, get out. Stay away. Don't take the unnecessary risk.

For another thread, ANYBODY is capable of ANYTHING, given the proper motivation.

jules1966
09-22-2011, 02:36 PM
I agree with everyone else empty buidings would be a no no for me. Speaking from experience i just have to add these empty buildings are owned by someone and in a shtf scenario there will still be cops and law enforcement personell. And in some states tresspassing is a criminal offense. So before you use any structure consider this or look up the law in your state. Just my opinion.

LUNCHBOX
09-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Jules, for the sake of the thread, let's assume we are past worrying about l.e. and crime. I think if you have the people a look inside is warranted for the hope of supplies. You have to base it on specific circumstances.

jules1966
09-22-2011, 03:20 PM
FLASHBACK: After Hurricane Katrina, NOLA cops told to shoot looters : Federal Jack (http://www.federaljack.com/?p=93641) Consider recent history.