PDA

View Full Version : Necro-posting

Sniper-T
12-18-2012, 11:39 AM
I've seen a couple people that are/were hesitant about posting on an old thread, and I for one, would like to encourage everyone to do more of this. There are a lot of great threads that were started a long time ago, that deserve a bump. Opinions change over time, as do circumstances. the original posters can update their posts, and we have a lot of new members that I'd like to hear more from. Posting on a forum like this, is like asking questions. The only bad question, is the one not posted.

IMO

The Stig
12-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Absolutely!

We encourage all members, new and old, to bring old threads back to life. As SniperT pointed out there's a lot of scenarios where an old post can be brought back to life. If you have something to add to the discussion please feel free to jump in.

We do have a rule against necroposting but that is aimed at someone posting in a 5 year old thread to say "good point!" or some other useless comment. If you have something to add to the discussion don't hesitate to comment.

prepguide
12-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks for this post. Being newer and very aware of the of rule against necro-posting I truly appreciate the clarification on this (guess I should have asked) because some of the older posts are interesting and should be revisited. Thank you!

Jimmy24
12-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Glad to read this. Had just reread the Rules of the Forum, Rule 12.

Thanks

Jimmy

izzyscout21
12-19-2012, 03:36 AM
New information comes to light all the time. I'm guilty of raising the dead if the situation is beneficial. Feel free if you have something new to add.

mitunnelrat
12-19-2012, 07:44 PM
I do it too, but unlike izzy I don't feel the least bit guilty about it ;)

Evolver
12-19-2012, 10:16 PM
I love it when we get a new comer that bumps up old forgotten posts. It shows that they're not just reading new stuff but doing some good excavation as well. We've had a few but I can't remember who they were. :o

izzyscout21
12-20-2012, 04:16 AM
I love it when we get a new comer that bumps up old forgotten posts. It shows that they're not just reading new stuff but doing some good excavation as well.

search function is our friend..............

rentprop1
12-20-2012, 05:00 AM
so what is wrong with starting a new post and referring to the old with a link ??

I can't stand Necroposting, its usually done by someone totally new , or those who are just to stupid to realize that its not tolerated on most forums, after a swift tongue lashing from a mod they usually realize and never do it again and when they notice someone else doing it, often help by telling others not to do it .....kind of self policing if you ask me ...lol

bacpacker
12-20-2012, 10:30 AM
I love it when we get a new comer that bumps up old forgotten posts. It shows that they're not just reading new stuff but doing some good excavation as well. We've had a few but I can't remember who they were. :o

I agree there are tons of stuff that has been posted on here since start up. In digging thru those if something has changed, new product, whatever its really a disservice not to add to what was already there. With all the newer folks that have came in over the last few months I have no doubt there will probably be more taking place. Good way for more info.

Sniper-T
12-20-2012, 10:34 AM
so what is wrong with starting a new post and referring to the old with a link ??

I can't stand Necroposting, its usually done by someone totally new , or those who are just to stupid to realize that its not tolerated on most forums, after a swift tongue lashing from a mod they usually realize and never do it again and when they notice someone else doing it, often help by telling others not to do it .....kind of self policing if you ask me ...lol

What I hate about this, is that you end up with a half dozen threads all about the same thing, all with 1/2 a dozen posts in them, and all refering to each other or stating the same thing with the same links. Which eventually will cause work for a mod to merge them together, and clean them up.

The Stig
12-20-2012, 10:58 AM

Well said. It is impressive when new members clearly demonstrate they are reading through old material, not just carpet bombing the forum with new threads. Even worse is storming in asking "what's the best tent for whatever" when a search would clearly answer the question.

That said, I don't want to discourage new people from asking questions and participating. Just try to do a couple searches. If that doesn't pan out, by all means, don't be shy. ASK!

In my mind necroposting is when someone posts on a 3 year old thread to say something inane like "great point" or "thanks for the info!". You are correct, that is ignorant and will most certainly receive some attention from the staff.

However comma if somebody brings back a 3 year old thread with updated information, new insights, their version of the project, commentary that propels the discussion forward, etc then it's perfectly acceptable. Then it's adding to the quality of the discussion and might bring a long forgotten thread back to life for everybody. It also avoids multiple threads on the same topic.

The key is adding new material to the discussion.

RedJohn
12-20-2012, 11:32 AM
However comma if ...

I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking. What's yours?

Sniper-T
12-20-2012, 11:36 AM
LOL! I couldn't quite place where that came from.

RedJohn
12-20-2012, 12:33 PM
LOL! I couldn't quite place where that came from.

It happens to me so often, that I had to notice.

Sniper-T
12-20-2012, 12:40 PM
So what happens if you want the word "comma" or "period" instead of the punctuation marks (,.)??

The Stig
12-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Actually I specifically wrote out the word "comma" just to be silly.

Now if I composed the post on my iphone? Holy shit, who knows what that damn thing would have come up with.

RedJohn
12-20-2012, 04:22 PM
So what happens if you want the word "comma" or "period" instead of the punctuation marks (,.)??

It is all in the way you say it.

RedJohn
12-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Actually I specifically wrote out the word "comma" just to be silly.

Now if I composed the post on my iphone? Holy shit, who knows what that damn thing would have come up with.

Darn. And I thought I was so good noticing it.