PDA

View Full Version : Bates E29502 USMC RAT Boots

Metrocruiser
12-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Hey all
I just saw these boots (2nds) at la police for $40. Has anyone bought a pair from this batch? I was reading reviews on amAzon that were not favorable. But on the la site there are tons of 4 and 5/5 reviews.

Merry xmas!!

rentprop1
12-24-2012, 03:17 AM
I've been looking at them for almost 6 months and can't bring myself to pull the trigger, for some reason they scream cheap, rejects ???
Jst my honest opinion, Id love to hear from someone who has them, until then Ill hold off

Metrocruiser
12-24-2012, 07:18 AM
Hi rent.
I just ordered a pair so ill let you know asap.

2die4
12-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Looks like a good pair of boots. Can't bring my self to wear anything with the Marine globe and anchor on it. Well that and I would get beaten within an inch of my life with a pair of Army issue Altimas if my First Sergeant caught me.

Dain Bramaged
01-14-2013, 04:09 PM
I bought a pair in late November and have been wearing them as near to daily as possible. So far, no problems and they're probably the most comfortable boots I've ever had.

There's an article I saw that they fell apart on the Marines in Afghanistan, but I don't have time to look for it right now.

Either these are not from that lot, or i have yet to put them through the same torture as a Marine in the desert.

So far, worth the $40

ElevenBravo
01-14-2013, 07:40 PM
I bought a "nice" pair of Bates when I worked corrections... Ill never make that mistake again. YMMV.

EB

The Stig
01-15-2013, 10:40 AM
I bought a "nice" pair of Bates when I worked corrections... Ill never make that mistake again. YMMV.

EB

What went wrong with them?

ElevenBravo
01-15-2013, 07:42 PM
The rubber wore out quick, the glue wore out quick, the soles wore out quick.

NOT the quality I expected from Bates.

I bought a pair of Bates Lites corfram shoes for dress uniform when I was in, outstanding shoes. I anticipated the boots would be similar quality. I was wrong... a few years between purchases and standards have really dropped.

I still wear the Bates today, but they are trashed.

EB

- - - Updated - - -

Ill try to take a picture to post... disappointed.

Belleville and Danner are about the only two left making a product worth a shit anymore, as far as I can tell... (I own boots from both so I speak from personal experience only on the three)

EB

David Armstrong
01-17-2013, 05:50 PM
I've had good luck with the Hi-Tech Magnum brand of boots. Not too expensive, seem to give good wear value for the price, very comfortable.

ElevenBravo
01-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Bates, Magnum, etc.. the economy boots.. are okay for garrison.

For field, the more expensive & better boot, like Belleville (Sp?), Danner, etc are the only way to go for :comfort, durability, waterproof (Goretex).

Just my opinion...

EB

Dain Bramaged
03-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Update:

Still wearing the boots daily. No signs of falling apart, etc.

Most importantly, still very comfortable.

Dain Bramaged
05-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Update: more of the same. If LAPG has another sale/free shipping, I may buy another pair.

Stormfeather
05-10-2013, 04:14 AM
Awesome news, good to hear, will definitely be looking out for them to go on sale again!