PDA

View Full Version : Pick me a nice knife sharpener

ElevenBravo
12-30-2012, 04:31 PM
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Sharpeners/category/cat100811

Ive got a SW here in town, Id like to have a nice knife sharpener for the field that will yield a very sharp blade but not shave hair sharp, unless that is possible... for not a lot of money, and one that doesnt take a degree on the subject to get satisfactory results.

Id like to spend $25 or less if that is possible...

Im not very well vested on the subject so I am recruiting your help please. If you would be so kind, post a link to one you would suggest, and give a brief example of why you like it.

Thanks in advance...
EB

mitunnelrat
12-30-2012, 07:24 PM
I'll try to find a link when I get my laptop going, but I use a Smith kit with guide rods and a clamp to ensure I keep a consistent angle. It has stones for coarse, fine, and a medium triangular stone for sharpening serrations (sp?).

Its put a razor edges on everything I've taken the time on. I've come up bleeding a time or two and never knew I cut myself.

ElevenBravo
12-30-2012, 07:48 PM
You must be talking about something like this setup...

http://www.smithsproducts.com/products/product.asp?id=34&cid=4

I had one similar many moons ago, it was the only thing I could use that gave good results. Im sure the newer kits do a better job.

Thanks,
EB

mitunnelrat
12-30-2012, 07:57 PM
That is exactly it. I've been a huge fan of the diamond sharpener since I first used one. You're welcome.

bacpacker
12-30-2012, 08:25 PM
I just got the same kit for christmas. I am happy with it so far.

FL-Jeeper
12-30-2012, 11:00 PM
I've had a kit of similar build from Lanskey for many years. IIRC I picked it up about 15 years ago & while it has seen light use it is still serving me well.

bacpacker
12-30-2012, 11:59 PM
I was looking at the Lansky sytems as well. They seemed to be pretty much the same except the Lanksy cost more. Both appear to be nice gear.

Grumpy Old Man
01-02-2013, 03:41 AM
I have one similar to this, but is aSpyderco.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Smith-3-in-1-Sharpener/productDetail/Sharpeners/prod9999004611/cat100811

But I also have Arkansas stones, and several diamond sharpeners, and ceramics. Two is one and one is none!

Gunfixr
01-04-2013, 03:36 AM
I've had a Lansky set for a long time as well, and don't remember Smith's having such a set when I got it. I think Lansky was the first for that type set.
However, as copies, they should all work about the same.
Hands down the most reliable way to put a good edge on almost any type of knife.
Takes the angle guesswork out, which is the hardest part to learn.

Second would be a set of "crock sticks" which is a set of ceramic rods which go in pre-angled holes in a block, usually wood. These are really best after the Lansky type set to touch up an edge quickly, but will do the whole thing. These are best when you have two sets of rods, coarse and fine. No oil is needed, and the rods can be scrubbed clean, which makes them a bit neater in the field.

greg48
01-06-2013, 04:22 PM
i have an electric sharpener from Worksharp Knife and Tool Sharpener. i got it a couple weeks before christmas. got it from northern tool for 69$ shipping included. i have several stones but my patience as well as my eyesight is not what it once was. the sharpener i bought has 3 different grit belts as well as a guide to keep the bevel consistant, i used it on my k-bar first, works excellent, tried it on a couple machetes, does a good job. i know you are looking for a field stone, just throwing this out as a review for anyone looking for an electric sharpener.

ElevenBravo
01-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks Greg, Ill keep that in mind!

EB

Grumpy Old Man
01-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Damn you Greg! Now I've got to get one of those! Thanks for the tip.

greg48
01-10-2013, 08:01 PM
GOM: i checked, northern tool still has the gadget at 69$ shippping included. i've had a lot of good experiences with northern tool, don't know if anyone else uses them, there are alot of items a "prepper" might need in their inventory and their service is fast.