PDA

View Full Version : Recording weather conditions

mitunnelrat
01-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Here's one for ya'll. I know some of you record weather data as part of a gardening log. How/ where are you getting your info?

I just tried using the weather band on my radio, but information is limited for my area.

The geeky side of me desires some sort of weather station that monitors and records wind, temperature, humidity, cloud cover, and precipitation, etc., but that's probably a bit much for now. :D

What's the simple way I should be looking at? A rain gauge and?

TIA, and my apologies if this has been covered somewhere that I've missed.

Evolver
01-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Nearby Airports are the best if they offer websites. You can get all the current weather and also archived weather history. :)
The temps from them are pretty correct for us because they're only 5mi away.

mitunnelrat
01-01-2013, 07:40 PM
That's a good idea too, there's a regional airport I can check that's 30 some miles from me. That'll probably be as close as I can get.

Evolver
01-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Weather Underground isn't too bad ether. They have a Weather History & Data Archive that you can enter your zip and get your local history.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/

mitunnelrat
01-01-2013, 07:50 PM
And there would be one of those options I think I've seen here before, now that you brought it up. lol. Thank you for it. These options should get me going while I learn what I need to do to collect it myself.

Evolver
01-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Your welcome MTR. :)

Grumpy Old Man
01-01-2013, 09:52 PM
"Total" weather stations can be had from these guys. The digital are a little spendy ranging up to ~ $450. But they also sell analog if you want to do it the old fashioned way.

http://www.weathershack.com/listing/complete-home-weather-stations.html

These guys have better prices and carry the same stuff, but I've never bought from them

http://www.weatherinstruments.com/weather-stations/digital-weather-stations/2876+2879+6180.cfm

This is similar to what I have

http://www.weatherinstruments.com/weather-stations/analog-weather-stations/acuritetahoeweatherstation.cfm

mitunnelrat
01-01-2013, 10:00 PM
I'd checked out the weathershack site. Some of the complete packages are in excess of $1,000 :eek:

bacpacker
01-01-2013, 10:11 PM
i report my rainfall, snow, hail, and any extreme conditions daily to here:

http://www.cocorahs.org

I've been involved with this for the past 5-8 years (can't remember now). The data is used by many organizations around the country to predict water availability or flood conditions across the country.

Myself I like using the analog instruments, just what I'm used to I guess, but I can also see many benifits to the digital ones as well.

Grumpy Old Man
01-02-2013, 03:26 AM
I'd checked out the weathershack site. Some of the complete packages are in excess of $1,000 :eek:

Like anything else MITR, you can spend as much as you want too, but the old fashioned instruments work just as well and are cheaper too. I like looking at my dials and recording the data. As for wind, I have a mule Anemometer. It is a wooden mule with a rope tail. If the tail is horizontal, it's very windy!!;)

mitunnelrat
01-02-2013, 04:48 AM
True. I was just noting the price, and did end it in "eek"

This is actually one of those areas where I believe analog is probably the way to go for prepping purposes.

The technophile in me did enjoy looking at the whiz bang model though ;)

Jimmy24
01-02-2013, 04:02 PM
I have been recording the local weather, my place, for many years. I have calendars from the late '80s. My dad had a complete set of calendars from the mid '60s.

I really don't give a hoot what the weather was anywhere else, as far as my garden, hunting, and fishing goes. I only pay attention to the weather in town, because it is west of me and the weather, good or bad comes from that direction. That's when I use radar, btw.

I have 2 rain gauges. 2 thermometers, 2 barometers, 2 humidity gauges. No anemometer though. I just record that it was windy or not and from what direction. I purchase one of those desk calendars every year. Has plenty of room to write on. They are easy to store.

Yep it’s nerdy as all heck, but I got the info when or if I need it.

Jimmy

mitunnelrat
01-04-2013, 05:33 PM
I don't find it nerdy at all. In fact, I've been thinking about it, and I think its an undervalued bit of knowledge that would server a prepper well under various circumstances. I'm thinking in terms of a MAG now, but someone should be able to know how to read and forecast weather to some degree of accuracy.

bacpacker
01-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Right on target MIT. In a long term SHTF deal a MAG will have to grow food. Having a good knowledge of weather forecasting and tracking history will be very important.

One thing your statement brings to mind that would be benificial to look into. Check with your local National Weather Service and sign up for there SkyWarn training. It's not a weathermans class, but it does put out a lot of good info on weather watching. Storm watching in particular. When I was running our EmComm group, we had class put on by the WX service every year as a refesher. They typicaly ran about two hours or so and we had folks from the local EMA, LEO's, FD, radio group, Etc. These are good skills to have. Classes are free.