PDA

View Full Version : Have not been camping in a long time, I dont know how to pack food

Metrocruiser
01-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Happy new years to everyone!!

The last time I went camping was in the 90's
number one beverage was beer, never brought any water with me ever. sad.
food I brought was ........... I cant even remember

Now its a whole different story and I am trying to learn how to do it all the right way so I can be a good example for my sons and teach them well.

My 1st Q on this topic is based on my next planned hike where I will bring the alcohol stove (http://www.shtfready.com/threads/2966-Wood-Gas-Stove-Pressurized-alchohol-stove-and-HDTV-fractal-antenna) along with us.

How do you pack up your coffee, fuel, stove etc. I was thinking to stuff it all into a tupperware or something similar.
Being that it will be just an afternoon hike, I am going to bring some canned ravioli and cambles soup for the kids. What do you bring out to eat on a short day hike?

Would love to hear and see pics if available of what you would pack for a small excursion.

robsdak
01-01-2013, 11:01 PM
camping has been a long lost memory for me, unless you count the number of days i slept in the truck waiting on first light to go fishing.

as far as day hikes go. simple enough, it's just me. a salad,tuna and crackers,fruit,plenty of water,dried fruit/nuts,a couple granola bars and a Power Bar and/or a Protein Bar or 2. i haven't felt the need to cook yet. most things i carry are light,full of energy. everything fits in a Maxped Jumbo Versipack.

i can 'camp cook' in the backyard and never leave. there i just build a fire, set up a couple blocks and a steel grate to cook over. hotdogs,sausage,burgers,pork tenderloin,steaks and taters. have even been known to roast some veggies. YUM!

EDIT: about carrying water. i have a 32 oz bottle for my bag. then i carry smaller plastic water 16 oz bottles inside the main pocket. they fold flat when empty and i refill them when i get home.

Sniper-T
01-01-2013, 11:19 PM
snack foods, trail mix, granola bars, jerky, fruit. Skip the tupperware, as they are bulky, use ziplocks. Since it is only a day trip you donèt need much, just try to have more calories to consume than you expect to eat. You know your location, heat and humidity will determine the amount of water needed, along with the difficulty of the hike. Get the kids their own packs, split up the load so they can carry some stuff too. small water bottles pack better than large ones, and collapse to nothing to pack out.

You are better off to stop every hour or two for a snack... then to push on all day, and have a big meal.

Take a camera and a local flora fauna book. use the snack breaks to identify some local plants.

Also take a map and compass, and get them involved with plottingéplanning the trip.

bacpacker
01-01-2013, 11:43 PM
I agree with using snacks/trail food for day hikes. We take raw veggies, dried fruit, jerky, cheese, meat stick, etc. I carry a small esbit stove and a stainless cup if I take a bag of freeze dried stuff with us.

I always carry 2 qts of liquid (water/gateraid) and the wife carries 1.5 qts. plus water purification tabs if we need more.

I would also suggest having a small light for each person, just in case. Having the kids at least carry some of their own food/water/clothing will give them a much greater sense of ownership and give them something to do as well.

Metrocruiser
01-02-2013, 12:23 AM
thanks for the replies guys, my kids are finicky eaters, I keep telling my wife to stop force feeding them. Lets try tiring them out with outdoor activities that are healthy and a learning experience for all of us. Then you will see them asking to eat sooner rather than later. They will be happily scarfing the foods you all recommended when I take them out lol.

We are planning to start buying the camping gear gradually.....its damned expensive for the quality stuff.
Honestly I want to start playing with the gear I manage to get out in the field asap. I have been reading about all this gear and equipment that we can buy, not knowing how to use it all if/when the time comes when outr lives depend on it would be a bad experience.

I will post a review of the cold steel 2 handed katana and the maxpedition fatboy versipack shortly.

Katrina
01-02-2013, 02:18 AM
Metro
Check out garage/estate sales. I picked up two Coleman lanterns this last year, practically brand new and pretty cheap Sadly due to owner passing and his adult kids didn't want the stuff. Guy ahead of me got a pretty decent stove and mess kits

4suchatimeasthis
01-02-2013, 02:22 AM
^^^ Yup, hit up craigslist, goodwill, garage sales, estate sales, etc.

Metrocruiser
01-02-2013, 03:32 AM
Yes!!!
That's a good one. I was on cl for a few hours the other day looking for tents. I never thought to look for all those other things that I had not thought about it yet. Lol I need a master list. Right now I'm looking for GSI cooking ware.

Sniper-T
01-02-2013, 11:40 AM
the key is to make the kids active participants, rather than just drag alongs. they will learn more, and have more fun. Get them involved with the planning, the route, the rest stops, the activities, etc.

Watch the garage sales in the better neighbourhoods around home too. they tend to have quality stuff that they either upgrade regularly, or 'tire of' and sell off for the latest fads.

Evolver
01-03-2013, 01:53 AM
Happy new years to everyone!!

The last time I went camping was in the 90's
number one beverage was beer, never brought any water with me ever. sad.
food I brought was ........... I cant even remember

Now its a whole different story and I am trying to learn how to do it all the right way so I can be a good example for my sons and teach them well.

My 1st Q on this topic is based on my next planned hike where I will bring the alcohol stove (http://www.shtfready.com/threads/2966-Wood-Gas-Stove-Pressurized-alchohol-stove-and-HDTV-fractal-antenna) along with us.

How do you pack up your coffee, fuel, stove etc. I was thinking to stuff it all into a tupperware or something similar.
Being that it will be just an afternoon hike, I am going to bring some canned ravioli and cambles soup for the kids. What do you bring out to eat on a short day hike?

Would love to hear and see pics if available of what you would pack for a small excursion.

Oh how this take my back to the day when my kids were young. I agree on the all of the thread replies and will add... My son and I have our favo hot camping/day fishing/hiking meal that we always do that started way back when. It's a big ole cans of Dinty Moore Beef Stew and crispy hard rolls to eat it with warmed from in the can in hot coals with the lid punchered then evolved to the self priming white gas Svea stove :). Do your day field test with your alcohol stove and a can of Ravioli, chop some wood and make fire with your son and the memories will last a life time for you both :)
Coffee goes in zip-loc bag and how you cook it is endless.

msomnipotent
01-03-2013, 05:53 AM
It isn't camping without a can of Yoders bacon. It is a bit too salty for my taste normally, but after 4 days of burgers and hot dogs I could have scarfed down the entire can, and there is a surprising quantity stuffed in that can. I strongly suggest a light grilling for best flavor, even though it can be eaten straight from the can. If it were me, I would say crackers, bacon, and apple slices with either Gatorade or water, depending on how hot it is.

Since it is just a day hike and the kids are picky, I would bring a little larger pack and put a little of everything to cook over the fire, just to give them a taste of everything. My daughter is picky too, and she will only eat 99% of the vegetables out there if they are wrapped in a "hobo pouch" that her cousins will make for her, and only while camping. I'm not sure of the exact recipe, but it seems to be a hit with the kids. I will ask my SIL if anyone is interested.

And NEVER forget smores material if you ever plan on lighting a fire. I can't even light a fire in our fireplace without our daughter asking to get a stick for smores. It is the only time I let her use a knife, under direct supervision, because everyone has to cut their own stick for a smore. It is the only thing I remember learning in Girl Scouts.

greg48
01-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Metro; first concern is coffee, i know several yrs ago it was beer, our priorties change. next is a way to cook the coffee. a bean can [without beans in it] will work if you forget the coffee pot. if you forget and bring whole bean coffee, your cleanest sock will work as a coffee filter. the rest of the list is not important.

ElevenBravo
01-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Lemme give you a video, and follow up with my personal advice...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIysQVPXku0

If I dont get in the woods at least a few times a month I get withdrawal jitters. Guess it came from so many years as a reserve grunt! So, I do this as often as time allows...

1) Chow: Mountain House is good stuff, well... as good as freeze dried comes by. Get a few packs, you can heat the water, pour it in the bag, stir and let it sit a good 20 minutes minimum. (follow *my* directions, *not* the bags). Stir about every 5 minutes.

There are other options, including just taking a few PB&J samiches in a ziploc. Be creative. And also, you do not need to spend a fortune, or even go beyond your local grocery store if you really wanted.

2) Coffee: God bless coffee! I take the Foldgers "singles", they are like tea bags. Bring your water to a boil, take off heat. Dip bag about 5 time, let it seep for about 20 seconds, enjoy. If you go toooo long it will be paint thinner. IMHO, taste almost as good as a fresh pot... but only a cup full at a time.

3) Alcohol stove: I run the "Mechanic Mike" open top alcohol jet stove, as seen in the video. He sells his on ebay for just a few bux, and after making a few semi-duds, his make mine look like garbage. Run what you have or what you like, its up to you.

4) Fuel: Only run denatured alcohol in your stove, trust me, its worth it in the long run... from fumes to black marks on your pot/canteen cup... denatured burns as clean as you can get. Hardware store/Home Depot/Lowes/Etc..

5) Fuel transport: I carry my alcohol in a small MSR fuel can, therefore I *know* my fuel wont leak and the container wont bust a seal. They are inexpensive and last forever and even get new o-rings if needed. Bonus: If you go with an MSR pump stove, you already have a bottle *and* it can run the same alcohol! (I got a whisper light in my plans...)

6) Water: Nalgene bottles and nothing else. After 2 decades plus of beating the bush, these bottles IMHO are top notch. Not a "Nalgene style" bottle but the Real McCoy. The plastic they are made of are both durable and light. Also, water does *not* come out with a plastic taste, like my GI canteens did. If you put spring water in, it *will* taste the same coming out.

7) Make sure you take a FAK, a few flashlights, a few chemlights, etc.. etc.. Okay, a day trip, dont need much. Pack like you might roll your ankle or break a knee cap and be on the trail overnight till help comes in the morning... If everything goes perfect, then at least you had a better workout for humping the extra weight! If luck runs sour, you got a few toys to play with until Rescue Rick can make his way into your area.

Any further questions, tips or advice, ask with specifics so we can answer as accurately as we can.

Have fun, be safe!

EB

bacpacker
01-04-2013, 12:46 AM
Peanut butter, I forgot to put PB in my list. We use this a lot on hikes, either on a sammich with honey and butter (goes down easy and good calories for energy), or load up a squeeze tube with PB and honey.

The MSR bottles are great for fuel. I have a couple I've had for 30 years or longer and are still perfect after much heavy use.

Another bit about stoves, the whisperlite stoves are light and work well, but if you need water boiled you need to highly pressurize the fuel to get enough heat. When you do that, it is almost impossible to get back to a simmer. Years ago I started with a Coleman Peak One and decided to go with the WL to reduce weight. I used it for a couple years, but was never fully satisfied with it. I ended up getting a new dual fuel Peak One. It is a little heavier, but for short trips, it holds enough fuel without having a seperate bottle. It is very stable and adjust well from very hard boil in less than 4 minutes to a very low simmer with just a move of the adjustment handle. I haven't been able to see much difference in fuel consumption overall.

I haven't used alcohol stoves, so can't speak to them. But the Esbit stoves do pretty good at getting stuff hot, but not really to a boil. But are very light and compact. Pretty good for day hikes and GH bags IMO.

ElevenBravo
01-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Backpacker, just FYI, Ive used both... Little open top alcohol stove *and* Esbit (You see the Esbit stove it's self in my above posted video, I use it for a pot stand if not with Esbit cubes).

The alcohol stove puts the Esbit to shame, but... the weight of the fuel is much greater... there is never a free lunch to be had and always trade offs, but I really like burning alcohol, its easy, clean, really hot and last longer than an Esbit cube IMHO.

HTH someone....
Andrew

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, Im a big Coleman fan, Id love to have one of these but there out of production and hard to come by...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Coleman+Exponent+Apex&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs
(https://www.google.com/search?q=Coleman+Exponent+Apex&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs)
EB

bacpacker
01-04-2013, 11:44 PM
This is the one of the models I have.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/coleman/feather-442-dual-fuel-stove/

I picked it up last summer and thought they are still available. I could well be wrong.

I'll have to check into the alcohol stoves and test out fuel consumpion. I knew the esbits are only a semi solution to the issue and carrying enough fuel to last very long is very bulky. I do like it for a GHB however. Compact and light for 3 days. Plus makes an excellent fire starter in a pinch.

ElevenBravo
01-05-2013, 02:55 AM
No doubt, the Esbit setup has its place in everyone's pack!

I also like that Coleman 442! Ill have to check bay to see if I can pick one up!

Thanks BPer...
EB

realist
01-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Well there is a bunch of stuff out there that has changed for the better. If you are taking kids then have them backpack some of the stuff. Keep it real light so they don’t get bogged down. May be a sandwich and a drink is all that they can manage but it is a start. Trail mix is your friend, check Costco for that my family goes through bags of the stuff.

I find that whenever I go camping it is a test of my equipment and different foods. If you have never had freeze dried food now is the time to try it out. Bring a couple of extras in case you or the kids do not like the first one.

Sniper is right; don’t forget to bring a camera. Even better with everything being digital and some being real small give it to the kids to take pictures. They will have fun and you can delete the trash later. Sometimes people are intimidated by a compass or GPS. Even if you are in a small park that you know where you are take one to get you and the kids familiar with one.

Backpacker is right about peanut butter. The nice thing is you can make a PB&Js and when you find one five days later they are still good.

Regarding coffee, Elevenbrovo is right on about the bags they work good. If you want to do more than you can consider a coffee press? They work very well for some people. If you are car camping then the best way is the Colman drip coffee maker, it just goes on the burner and works just like the plug in at home, I love mine.

The most important thing is take your time, don’t get in a hurry and have fun. If you are miserable then everyone will be, remember misery is optional.

Grumpy Old Man
01-05-2013, 03:46 PM
BP, I have one of the early Coleman Dual fuel stoves that I got as a birthday gift in 1992. I'm still using it along with my big 2 mantle lamp I got in college.

I've got to agree with the advice of taking a variety of freeze dried meals to try out. This is useful in finding out which you like so that you don't buy a #10 can of something you don't like for LTS.

ElevenBravo
01-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Im a *huge* Coleman fan!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5CWUVj3kyE
Just a few Coleman gas lanterns, not even showing my propane lamps or any stoves. Just gas lanterns I have.

I also like and agree with Grump's mindset:
"Buy & try... *before* you have to rely"

EB

Metrocruiser
01-05-2013, 07:56 PM
the key is to make the kids active participants, rather than just drag alongs. they will learn more, and have more fun. Get them involved with the planning, the route, the rest stops, the activities, etc.

Watch the garage sales in the better neighbourhoods around home too. they tend to have quality stuff that they either upgrade regularly, or 'tire of' and sell off for the latest fads.
We have been making efforts to keep it fun and get them involved, last outing after we packed up and were leaving I did about 3 donuts in the snow and they loved it. I have a compass in the suv now and my 5 year old tells me our bearing every time I turn.

Oh how this take my back to the day when my kids were young. I agree on the all of the thread replies and will add... My son and I have our favo hot camping/day fishing/hiking meal that we always do that started way back when. It's a big ole cans of Dinty Moore Beef Stew and crispy hard rolls to eat it with warmed from in the can in hot coals with the lid punchered then evolved to the self priming white gas Svea stove . Do your day field test with your alcohol stove and a can of Ravioli, chop some wood and make fire with your son and the memories will last a life time for you both
Coffee goes in zip-loc bag and how you cook it is endless.
I cant wait to have that bonding with my sons and look back after many years of our ongoing traditions that I hope they teach and share with their kids. I have been testing my coffee making at home with the alc stove and it takes about 5 minutes. Ive just got to make a safe stable stand now.

And NEVER forget smores material if you ever plan on lighting a fire. I can't even light a fire in our fireplace without our daughter asking to get a stick for smores. It is the only time I let her use a knife, under direct supervision, because everyone has to cut their own stick for a smore. It is the only thing I remember learning in Girl Scouts.
mmmm yummy, thanks we will enjoy!!

Metro; first concern is coffee, i know several yrs ago it was beer, our priorties change. next is a way to cook the coffee. a bean can [without beans in it] will work if you forget the coffee pot. if you forget and bring whole bean coffee, your cleanest sock will work as a coffee filter. the rest of the list is not important.

lol, yes I most definatley have coffee up there as a top 3. I have a Bialletti mocha express to bring along.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5Bx-n5U3auw/TlRrv7Tf_eI/AAAAAAAABgQ/G5sLowpA6nA/s640/bialetti-moka-express-espresso-diptych.jpeg

Lemme give you a video, and follow up with my personal advice...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIysQVPXku0

If I dont get in the woods at least a few times a month I get withdrawal jitters. Guess it came from so many years as a reserve grunt! So, I do this as often as time allows...

1) Chow: Mountain House is good stuff, well... as good as freeze dried comes by. Get a few packs, you can heat the water, pour it in the bag, stir and let it sit a good 20 minutes minimum. (follow *my* directions, *not* the bags). Stir about every 5 minutes.

There are other options, including just taking a few PB&J samiches in a ziploc. Be creative. And also, you do not need to spend a fortune, or even go beyond your local grocery store if you really wanted.

2) Coffee: God bless coffee! I take the Foldgers "singles", they are like tea bags. Bring your water to a boil, take off heat. Dip bag about 5 time, let it seep for about 20 seconds, enjoy. If you go toooo long it will be paint thinner. IMHO, taste almost as good as a fresh pot... but only a cup full at a time.

3) Alcohol stove: I run the "Mechanic Mike" open top alcohol jet stove, as seen in the video. He sells his on ebay for just a few bux, and after making a few semi-duds, his make mine look like garbage. Run what you have or what you like, its up to you.

4) Fuel: Only run denatured alcohol in your stove, trust me, its worth it in the long run... from fumes to black marks on your pot/canteen cup... denatured burns as clean as you can get. Hardware store/Home Depot/Lowes/Etc..

5) Fuel transport: I carry my alcohol in a small MSR fuel can, therefore I *know* my fuel wont leak and the container wont bust a seal. They are inexpensive and last forever and even get new o-rings if needed. Bonus: If you go with an MSR pump stove, you already have a bottle *and* it can run the same alcohol! (I got a whisper light in my plans...)

6) Water: Nalgene bottles and nothing else. After 2 decades plus of beating the bush, these bottles IMHO are top notch. Not a "Nalgene style" bottle but the Real McCoy. The plastic they are made of are both durable and light. Also, water does *not* come out with a plastic taste, like my GI canteens did. If you put spring water in, it *will* taste the same coming out.

7) Make sure you take a FAK, a few flashlights, a few chemlights, etc.. etc.. Okay, a day trip, dont need much. Pack like you might roll your ankle or break a knee cap and be on the trail overnight till help comes in the morning... If everything goes perfect, then at least you had a better workout for humping the extra weight! If luck runs sour, you got a few toys to play with until Rescue Rick can make his way into your area.

Any further questions, tips or advice, ask with specifics so we can answer as accurately as we can.

Have fun, be safe!

EB
Thanks for your detailed post. It is very helpful for me.
I am running methyl hyrate ( which I read is the same as denatured alc)
I hope to pick up a MSR fuel bottle and nalgene water bottle today.

Peanut butter, I forgot to put PB in my list. We use this a lot on hikes, either on a sammich with honey and butter (goes down easy and good calories for energy), or load up a squeeze tube with PB and honey.

The MSR bottles are great for fuel. I have a couple I've had for 30 years or longer and are still perfect after much heavy use.

Another bit about stoves, the whisperlite stoves are light and work well, but if you need water boiled you need to highly pressurize the fuel to get enough heat. When you do that, it is almost impossible to get back to a simmer. Years ago I started with a Coleman Peak One and decided to go with the WL to reduce weight. I used it for a couple years, but was never fully satisfied with it. I ended up getting a new dual fuel Peak One. It is a little heavier, but for short trips, it holds enough fuel without having a seperate bottle. It is very stable and adjust well from very hard boil in less than 4 minutes to a very low simmer with just a move of the adjustment handle. I haven't been able to see much difference in fuel consumption overall.

I haven't used alcohol stoves, so can't speak to them. But the Esbit stoves do pretty good at getting stuff hot, but not really to a boil. But are very light and compact. Pretty good for day hikes and GH bags IMO.
Ive got PB and a spork in the backpack :)
So far, and I have not tried any other stoves other than a screw onto the top of a mini coleman propane bottle, I am digging the alcohol stove. I am going to make a penny alc stove that can regulate two modes, hi and simmer.

Well there is a bunch of stuff out there that has changed for the better. If you are taking kids then have them backpack some of the stuff. Keep it real light so they don’t get bogged down. May be a sandwich and a drink is all that they can manage but it is a start. Trail mix is your friend, check Costco for that my family goes through bags of the stuff.

I find that whenever I go camping it is a test of my equipment and different foods. If you have never had freeze dried food now is the time to try it out. Bring a couple of extras in case you or the kids do not like the first one.

Sniper is right; don’t forget to bring a camera. Even better with everything being digital and some being real small give it to the kids to take pictures. They will have fun and you can delete the trash later. Sometimes people are intimidated by a compass or GPS. Even if you are in a small park that you know where you are take one to get you and the kids familiar with one.

Backpacker is right about peanut butter. The nice thing is you can make a PB&Js and when you find one five days later they are still good.

Regarding coffee, Elevenbrovo is right on about the bags they work good. If you want to do more than you can consider a coffee press? They work very well for some people. If you are car camping then the best way is the Colman drip coffee maker, it just goes on the burner and works just like the plug in at home, I love mine.

The most important thing is take your time, don’t get in a hurry and have fun. If you are miserable then everyone will be, remember misery is optional.
Ive got a bag of the costco trailmix with the m&ms in my suv box. yummy and im sure ill open it before I really need it lol.
Going to by some GSI cooking equipment shortly to try out some MRE's.
Compass and camera are both a check mark on the list, my 5 y/o loves to operate them both.
Good advice about not being in a rush. Ive found that the best way to follow this advice is to leave the wife at home rotflmao

ElevenBravo
01-05-2013, 10:12 PM
My friend, if your going to make your own stove, I encourage you to do so.. however please do test it with a trial run in the back yard *before* you take it to the field.

I have built a few and none really performed like "as advertised" on youtube, so I gave up and just bought one. The moral of the story is, if I had built it and took it to the field untested, I would have had no hot water. :-)

EB

bacpacker
01-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Metro you mentioned a stove with the screw on fuel canister. I haven't had a chance to try those out yet, but there are a lot of brands of these on the market. A couple guys on here back pack and have done reports on the Jet-Boil brand with good success. I know MSR makes 2-3 models than run on them as well. last gun show I went to, I found a no name model similar to the MSR Pocket Rocket , but haven't had time to test it out yet other than to start it and adjust it up and down. The adjustment seems to go over a good range and will simmer very well. It only cost $20, so I'm not out much if it's garbage.

Metrocruiser
01-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Hey EB,

Making coffee with about an ounce of methyl hydrate.

http://youtu.be/sKbvcJrjLAg
Boiling after about just less than 4 mins on the flame.

Jimmy24
01-07-2013, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE=Metrocruiser;54312]thanks for the replies guys, my kids are finicky eaters, I keep telling my wife to stop force feeding them. Lets try tiring them out with outdoor activities that are healthy and a learning experience for all of us. Then you will see them asking to eat sooner rather than later. They will be happily scarfing the foods you all recommended when I take them out lol. /QUOTE]

A great point! It's very surprising what you may or may not like at home. But when out in the boonies and working your legs and lungs, food takes on a different karma. Stuff I don't normally like, is the best thing I ever ate, when I'm out there.

All three of my kids grew up to like most of what I would bring on a hike. As kids they thought it was cool....they are all grown and on the teir own with their kids and doing the same thing.

Pass it on as you are doing Metrocruiser!! Good job!!

Jimmy

MegaCPC
01-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Im a *huge* Coleman fan!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5CWUVj3kyE
Just a few Coleman gas lanterns, not even showing my propane lamps or any stoves. Just gas lanterns I have.

I also like and agree with Grump's mindset:
"Buy & try... *before* you have to rely"

EB
I can't add anything that hasn't already been mentioned but I just have to say that it's just not camping without the hiss!

Jimmy24
01-07-2013, 04:12 PM
One other point I would like to make. Make sure the alcohol is in a container that the kids know FOR A FACT is not something to drink. Don't think that has not happened.

Also as you know, using alcohol requires due diligence when heating with it. No flame to speak of. Long seleved shirts that have a bit of fuzzy are really trouble.

I used to use alky stoves all the time, but have swapped to a the small fold up propane type. I have two friends whose lives were changed forever by an alcohol stove. They are easy to use, cheap to use but can be very dangerous.

Just my thoughts.

Jimmy

Metrocruiser
01-07-2013, 04:44 PM
One other point I would like to make. Make sure the alcohol is in a container that the kids know FOR A FACT is not something to drink. Don't think that has not happened.

Also as you know, using alcohol requires due diligence when heating with it. No flame to speak of. Long seleved shirts that have a bit of fuzzy are really trouble.

I used to use alky stoves all the time, but have swapped to a the small fold up propane type. I have two friends whose lives were changed forever by an alcohol stove. They are easy to use, cheap to use but can be very dangerous.

Just my thoughts.

Jimmy

Great thoughts Jimmy

Thank you for your wise words. Safety is a priority.

I was just thinking last night how will i mark the msr fuel bottle. I may spray paint it orange and get a skull crossbones sticker.

Metrocruiser
01-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Hi BP,

I am gonna try out the cheapo propane stove today I hope, Ill let you know what methinks

Metro you mentioned a stove with the screw on fuel canister. I haven't had a chance to try those out yet, but there are a lot of brands of these on the market. A couple guys on here back pack and have done reports on the Jet-Boil brand with good success. I know MSR makes 2-3 models than run on them as well. last gun show I went to, I found a no name model similar to the MSR Pocket Rocket , but haven't had time to test it out yet other than to start it and adjust it up and down. The adjustment seems to go over a good range and will simmer very well. It only cost $20, so I'm not out much if it's garbage.

ElevenBravo
01-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Lemme get my mind right... what type of camping are you wanting to do?

Trail camping in the woods?

Tent camping out of the car?

Tent camping opens endless possibilities. Hiking into the woods to camp is an entirely different story.

EB