PDA

View Full Version : Ate expired tuna. Still here. Story inside

AlphaTea
01-02-2013, 02:11 PM
On or about the 28th Wifey discovered a box of those Tuna fish pouches on the back of a top shelf in the pantry.
She says "Ewwww, some of these expired in June 2007 and some in May 2010, we need to throw these things out!"
Now I says "Not so fast there my little love muffin, they are probably OK."
"Im not eating that"
"It'll be fine dear."
"Just to be on the safe side, lets throw it out"
"No, lets keep it, you never know. Maybe we can feed it to the cats or the TAST (dog) if times get really tough."
"Whatever. Im not eating it and you are NOT feeding it to the animals!"
"Look, the pouches are not bloated or punctured in any way. Here I will open one and eat some."
The moment of truth arrives and the pouch is opened. Smelled fine. Tasted fine.
"You want me to eat the whole thing to prove its OK?"
"No, you win."
:eek: <---my shocked face. 35 years and I can count the times she has said that on one finger.
"We will wait a little while to see if you need to go to the ER or not...."
I return to making a new batch of Laundry soap (another story)
A little while later she comes up to me and says " You know what Tuna Suprise is?"
"Yes" says I "Tuna Casserole? Right?"
"Surprise! We are having Tuna for supper!"
She put 2 more packs tuna from 2007 along with the one I already opened.
Honest to gosh, I kid you not, we could not tell the difference between those packs and a new one.
Cats like the tuna too, TAST was more interested in the noodles and the bacon on the side.
DISCLAIMER: YMMV

ak474u
01-02-2013, 02:18 PM
On or about the 28th Wifey discovered a box of those Tuna fish pouches on the back of a top shelf in the pantry.
She says "Ewwww, some of these expired in June 2007 and some in May 2010, we need to throw these things out!"
Now I says "Not so fast there my little love muffin, they are probably OK."
"Im not eating that"
"It'll be fine dear."
"Just to be on the safe side, lets throw it out"
"No, lets keep it, you never know. Maybe we can feed it to the cats or the TAST (dog) if times get really tough."
"Whatever. Im not eating it and you are NOT feeding it to the animals!"
"Look, the pouches are not bloated or punctured in any way. Here I will open one and eat some."
The moment of truth arrives and the pouch is opened. Smelled fine. Tasted fine.
"You want me to eat the whole thing to prove its OK?"
"No, you win."
:eek: <---my shocked face. 35 years and I can count the times she has said that on one finger.
"We will wait a little while to see if you need to go to the ER or not...."
I return to making a new batch of Laundry soap (another story)
A little while later she comes up to me and says " You know what Tuna Suprise is?"
"Yes" says I "Tuna Casserole? Right?"
"Surprise! We are having Tuna for supper!"
She put 2 more packs tuna from 2007 along with the one I already opened.
Honest to gosh, I kid you not, we could not tell the difference between those packs and a new one.
Cats like the tuna too, TAST was more interested in the noodles and the bacon on the side.
DISCLAIMER: YMMV

That's good to know. In other news, I found a McDonald's French fry under my seat, it looks like the day it was fried, and has no mold etc. I can mail it to you for testing if you'd like. Lol

AlphaTea
01-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Chick-fil-a fry I might try.
McD's fry? pass!

msomnipotent
01-02-2013, 03:17 PM
I was wondering how those pouches would hold up compared to cans. It sounds like they hold up well.

4suchatimeasthis
01-02-2013, 03:25 PM
^^^ Agreed, and another plus, you don't have all those cans to deal with. Sure, a few cans can be useful, but if you have dozens of them......not so much.

We have a bit of a "fear factor" breakfast at our house today. Last night hubby got on a cooking kick, and he didn't want any assistance from yours truly. He made some gawd-awful brown rice, he got the seasoning-to-rice ratio all wrong, with garlic and chicken bouillon. Well, this morning he was hell bent that he was not feeding it to the chickens, that it was just fine and fit for human consumption. So he reheated it, and added about a cup of frozen blue/black/raspberries. Good lord. The ego of a man. It might just kill him yet. He said it was "good practice for when we have to live off of bland beans and rice", referring to my preps. I introduced him to my tote..... of spices, lol. He is a good man, but that ego.....men!

mitunnelrat
01-02-2013, 04:31 PM
That's good to know. In other news, I found a McDonald's French fry under my seat, it looks like the day it was fried, and has no mold etc. I can mail it to you for testing if you'd like. Lol

I learned you can do the same thing with a plain hamburger, no cheese or condiments, too. A sales rep for some home products company had one as a graphic aid. It was disturbing, to say the least.

bacpacker
01-02-2013, 05:06 PM
One more reson not to eat at mikey ds

Evolver
01-03-2013, 12:39 AM
Chick-fil-a fry I might try.
McD's fry? pass!

Send it to our certified (by us) resident food tester Izzy! He'll eat what Mikey won't. :)

MegaCPC
01-03-2013, 01:53 AM
Good to know about the pouches. I was always skeptical that they would last as long as the canned stuff.

Sniper-T
01-04-2013, 03:25 AM
.... Good lord. The ego of a man.... but that ego.....men!

Hey!!! I resent that!

I'll put my spice rack up against yours any day!

What do you say... dueling lazy susans from 10 feet?

lol

At least he is trying MsOmni... give him some credit! And guidance, definately give him some guidance as well!

;)

4suchatimeasthis
01-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Lol, oh Sniper, dueling lazy Susan's, now that's funny!

I guess I wasn't clear enough, about that ego ;). He resents any offers to "help" him in the kitchen...no matter how politely given. In fact, when he gets his knickers in a twist about cooking, he shoo's me out of the kitchen, telling me to "go away", that he can handle it. He likes to remind me that he is 10 yrs my elder, that he can cook for himself. Which, is almost true. He is 10 yrs older, but I am fairly certain I did more cooking in the first 10 yrs of my life than he has done in his 40. Sometimes it's experience, not age. That's okay, everyone has to learn, making mistakes is how we gain experience. And I will smile sweetly, bite my lip, and try not to say those 4 little words that no man EVER wants to hear from his wife/girlfriend.....