PDA

View Full Version : Summer EDC gear

izzyscout21
06-03-2011, 06:11 PM
So now that summer is upon us, who of us (other than myself) has changed out your summer EDC gear? Since it's getting hotter outside and we've made the switch to shorts and short sleeve shirts that make carryying large "tools" more difficult, I made the decision to go ahead and adapt. I changed my 6p Surefire light out for a smaller Surefire E1 Backup. My knife went from my Applegate folder to my Banchmade Auto-Stryker. Finally, my carry gun changed from my full size Kimber Desert Warrior 1911 to my smaller, more compact Kimber Compact Custom which rides in a custom holster from Milt Sparks. I still retain my Kel-tec P-32 as my backup.

Have any of you made a similar change?

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/DSCF3490.jpg

ak474u
06-04-2011, 02:40 AM
Yep, I've made a few changes too, but since spring sets in around february around here, I did it a while back... I always carry a pistol, but since it gets hot so soon, I can't carry my Kahr on me as often, but it, and my 92D are always a few steps away in my versipack. I climb in people's attics all day doing insulation estimates, and since I have to look decent I wear golf shirts tucked in which really messes with concealing even a subcompact, so I am pretty much down to carrying just my .22 derringer in my front jean pocket when on appointments. (almost used it on a customer's lab/mastiff mix today) I carry a cheapo folder all the time, and I carry my lightstick broken down to just the 2 CR123 light with the baton, and pepper spray detached. I'm hoping that I'll be able to upgrade the pocket pistol this month to a beretta bobcat.

bacpacker
06-04-2011, 02:53 AM
I can't carry where I work and checks are made regularly. That said I carry a Kershaw folder and a Surfire G2 all year. I park less than 100 yards from where I work and keep a GHB in there with everything I should need for 3-4 days (hopefully).

The Stig
06-04-2011, 10:57 PM
My summer carry has changed too.

Cincinnati got every bit as hot/humid as Mississippi does.......for a day or two out of the summer. So dealing with it starting in May is quite the adjustment.

As such the G23 in the IWB Raven kydex rig is on the shelf for a while. I've been rocking my Glock 27 in a RCS Ghost holster under the lightest weight, patterned, short-sleeve button shirt I can find. Still carrying at 2:00 to 2:30ish but totally different set up.

One thing I have found is I need to tinker with my additional mag carrier. It's a RCS single mag carrier, also kydex. Under a T-shirt, and at 10:00 to 10:30ish it sticks out a fair amount. A buddy has experimented with an extreme cant (don't remember if it's forward/backwards) to help minimize the signature.

I've dropped the Surefire E1B from the "all the time carry" to "only at night carry". Risky since I've lost the weapon light too but the trade off for less gear/weight under the clothes/in the heat is worth it to me.

I'm rocking a shitty Smith & Wesson "tactical" folder right now. It's an elcheapo but I wanted to give the line a try for real.

ETA: I did buy an Izula II from Rat recently and would like to give that a try for EDC. Here's my hangup however. During the day if I need a blade I don't necessary want to whip that out to open a box/cut a string, etc. But Im not sure I want to carry a folder AND a straight blade.

Oh the vexing issues.

Idaho Corsair
06-07-2011, 02:33 PM
I've rarely changed what I wear/carry due to the weather. Just another gear setup to complicate things for me... though I do see a point in it at times. Then again I'm not exactly a fashion icon. ;)

The Stig
06-15-2011, 02:42 AM
I'm going to need to revamp my overall carry arrangement when I'm working.

I can't carry OWB/IWB because it's too hot to wear a sport coat as a cover garment. Walking into a customer's office with an empty holster will look goofy.

I can't do a tuckable because I need to stow the weapon on every sales call. I'd greatly prefer to carry into the customer's office as a lot of crazy shit goes down in offices. But it would be tacky as hell, probably lose me sales and many places ban weapons. You can say "concealed is concealed" but all it would take is one customer to notice, one shirt getting pulled loose or anything to go wrong. I'd lose my job and not be able to support my family. You can scream 2A all you want but the facts is the facts.

Can't do a belly band for the same reason. Weapon has to be easily stowed and reholstered.

I think I'm being pushed down the path of an ankle rig which does not thrill me. I'd be able to reach the gun easily while seated in the car. Easy to reholster and nobody can really see what I'm doing as I reholster. On sales calls the holster will remain concealed.

Ugh...I hate ankle holsters.

mitunnelrat
06-15-2011, 02:55 AM
Smart Carry Holsters (http://www.smartcarry.com/) have served me well for deep concealment. I had a part time job that had a no carry policy, and was never made.

AlphaTea
06-15-2011, 07:31 AM
The only things I changed over for warmer weather was going from a G30 to a G27.
My normal EDC is either Glock in a MTAC, spare mag or two, A Surefire G2X-pro with a Leatherman Charge XTi, A CRKT M16, a small Swiss Army knife (executive I think), a titanium money clip with a few bucks in it, Ace comb, All-Ett wallet, Cell phone, key ring (with normal keys, my old BSA flint, Swiss utili-key, P-38, Photon Micro-light, and a handcuff key), truck remote, 16GB mini USB stick, a mini BIC lighter, and a mini pill bottle with various OTC meds in it.
Sounds like a lot but it IS my EDC.

I usually wear jeans and a long-tail tee or Henley from Duluth Trading. I am very self conscious about printing and have Wifey and TAST inspect me before leaving home. I am 6'2" 185lbs and with what I wear, I dont have any problems.

Oh yea, sometimes I also tote my P3AT in a Nemisis in my back pocket

izzyscout21
06-16-2011, 12:21 PM
I started my new job last week, and my GM told me that carry was allowed as long as customers couldn't see. For that reason I got a few of the 5.11 Tactical holster shirts. It carries the pistol under my armpit almost like a shoulder holster would. No printing, good to go. It's a little tricky to get into, but if i need it, I'll just rip the buttons awayy on my button down