PDA

View Full Version : Texas Preppers Group?

Grumpy Old Man
01-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Helo, AK and anyone else I will have missed, don't you think we ought to have a Texas Preppers Group like FL and TN do here? Even though there was just me and Realist and Foulball out here in the PRK we were able to contact each other. Might be handy Deep in the Heart of....

prepguide
01-04-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm in western Oklahoma and would welcome contact with others in the area. I do get down to the Dallas area a couple of times a year as well.

helomech
01-04-2013, 08:04 PM
I am more than happy to give you my phone numbers and if we ever get a chance to meet up. The problem with Texas is that it is so freaking big.

ak474u
01-04-2013, 08:18 PM
I am more than happy to give you my phone numbers and if we ever get a chance to meet up. The problem with Texas is that it is so freaking big.

El Paso is closer to Los Angeles than it is to Dallas, so you're definitely right about TX being big. I'm definitely open to a Texas group.

Grumpy Old Man
01-04-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be about 2 hours from you AK, but I'm betting 5+ hours from you Helo. I'll be out in the sticks though. We might could pick a point that wouldn't be too bad of travel for any pf us. And your right Helo, Texas is BIG! But we still can put together our own call tree. I saw today where west Texas was getting hammered with snow; closed down I-10 around El Paso. Gonna be good to see real weather again!

Evolver
01-04-2013, 10:51 PM
El Paso is closer to Los Angeles than it is to Dallas, so you're definitely right about TX being big. I'm definitely open to a Texas group.
Now this puts things into prospective doesn't it! :) :cool:

bacpacker
01-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Now this puts things into prospective doesn't it! :) :cool:

I would have never guessed that. I've been across New mexico and Arizona and they are a piece across. WOW!

helomech
01-04-2013, 11:28 PM
I know the first mile marker I see when I come into Texas from Louisiana is marker 857.

Evolver
01-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Dang! All this is just something that most of us don't even think about.

Evolver
01-05-2013, 12:07 AM
LOL Just for shits a giggles I just did a virtual road trip via google maps of 857mi on the east coast to see how many states that I could drive threw... I traveled threw 9 States. ;) ME,NH,MA,RI,CT,NJ,DE,MD and VA. LOL. :o

bacpacker
01-05-2013, 01:44 AM
Gives you a little more perspective don't it. Tennesse is a long state and is only something like 460 miles across.

Evolver
01-05-2013, 02:01 AM
Yup!

Grumpy Old Man
01-05-2013, 03:17 AM
I'm going to the great state of Texas!!!!!! Yee Haw!!!!!

ak474u
01-05-2013, 03:46 AM
I'm going to the great state of Texas!!!!!! Yee Haw!!!!!

Don't leave a note, we don't need any of Gun Ban Diane's friends to follow you.

realist
01-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Grumpy you will be missed. I have been looking but can't find a place that has the climate that we have here. Let me know what you find there, I am done with the flat desert climate from years back.

AK actually I was hoping you would take Diane from us. However we can't be that lucky.

Grumpy Old Man
01-05-2013, 03:25 PM
The first priority after I get settled is to get rid of these white plates on my truck! I'm not a Californian, I just worked there.

Realist, Where I'll be in Brown County is on the East flank of what is known as the Hill Country. Rolling hills with several rivers and numerous lakes and stock tanks.

Deer are abundant as are feral hogs and there are many folks who raise goats, both milk and meat varieties. When I was down there interviewing I saw gas for $2.88/gal for 87 octane. Milk was about $2.50/gal Also I believe that there is no state income tax, which would be a refreshing change. The 2 major trees were live oaks and red cedar.

I'll let you know about housing when I get settled.

helomech
01-05-2013, 04:52 PM
The first priority after I get settled is to get rid of these white plates on my truck! I'm not a Californian, I just worked there.

Realist, Where I'll be in Brown County is on the East flank of what is known as the Hill Country. Rolling hills with several rivers and numerous lakes and stock tanks.

Deer are abundant as are feral hogs and there are many folks who raise goats, both milk and meat varieties. When I was down there interviewing I saw gas for $2.88/gal for 87 octane. Milk was about $2.50/gal Also I believe that there is no state income tax, which would be a refreshing change. The 2 major trees were live oaks and red cedar.

I'll let you know about housing when I get settled.

Yes, no state income tax, and depending on your area property tax can be low. My property tax on my house and 64 acres comes to about 500 dollars a year. Other than the 8.? % sales tax that is all the tax I pay to the state of Texas. I also get a lot of my toys with no taxes, such as my tractor, 4 wheeler and my honda big red. They are all for farm use.

DragoSapien
01-01-2014, 05:37 PM
I live here in west Texas and yes we had and do have snow/ice storms from time to time, but it only last tow or three days then its 70 again, LOL. We have our prepper group in place already. We are scattered all over west Texas and south east New Mexico. Lots of other prepper groups down in the Big Bend area, but you wont hear from them on the internet. they are very closed off.