PDA

View Full Version : Ask me a question...

ElevenBravo
01-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Ask me a question and I will reply via YouTube and post it.

Make it realistic and reasonable.

Keep in mind, Im not a barefoot backwoods hippie so Im not an expert and Ive not done it all.... Keep them practical & tactical and keep it simple...

I do have a good measure of outdoor experience but by no stretch of the imagination would I call myself an expert. I do however have a high level of video production so this is an experiment for you, and me.

Since I do not run my own survival school and I am not a self proclaimed expert, lets keep it on the beginner level at first...

Even if *you* already *know* the answer to the question, but think it would benefit other patriots, present it for educational purposes. We all can learn, from each other.

Do bare in mind, there are more than one way to skin a cat so my reply might not be what is anticipated.

At this time, I will only be responding to SHTFREADY members, regardless of post count or seniority.

Take care and thanks for reading and playing along...
EB

ak474u
01-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Why do we drive on a parkway, and park on a driveway? I expect an in-depth video response. Lol

ElevenBravo
01-08-2013, 10:15 PM
That question is beyond my scope of comprehension. I was once asked if olive oil was made from olives, what is baby oil made from. I didnt come out of a coma for 5 weeks.

EB

Echo2
01-09-2013, 12:02 AM
If you were in a vehicle traveling at the speed of light.....and you cut your lights on....would they do anything?

Hey...I have a Coleman lantern.....I need to put a new pump in and re-vamp a bit.....swing over to the shop sometime and I'll get all the parts for it....you can do an instructional video on that.

ElevenBravo
01-09-2013, 12:22 AM
If you were in a vehicle traveling at the speed of light.....and you cut your lights on....would they do anything?

Hey...I have a Coleman lantern.....I need to put a new pump in and re-vamp a bit.....swing over to the shop sometime and I'll get all the parts for it....you can do an instructional video on that.

Roger that... I can bring my new to me HF10! BTW, I didnt make it last Sun, I was drunk. HA HA

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, BTW... forward movement would stop at the moment the headlights were turned on, as it would cancel out the speed of light. Kind of like the negative sine in an AC alternation, canceling out the positive sine. Therefore, if you take a meter reading at the outlet it should read zero volts. If it reads 120 volts or there about, the CIA has bugged your house so be careful what you say.

;)

HTH,
EB

rentprop1
01-09-2013, 02:39 AM
show me the discharge rate of a 12 volt battery while still hooked up to the battery charger but the power to the charger is zero, meaning its unplugged

ElevenBravo
01-09-2013, 07:29 PM
show me the discharge rate of a 12 volt battery while still hooked up to the battery charger but the power to the charger is zero, meaning its unplugged

I do not have a 12v battery on hand, but I will reply to your request as soon as I acquire one.

I am an amature radio operator and have over 20 years experience as an electronics hobbyest so I should be able to shed some light on this subject.

I am continuing to accept request for prep, bushcraft and fieldcraft so please post if you wish...
EB

Evolver
01-09-2013, 09:43 PM

While he's there you can have him do this mod also. It's adding a lighter to you lantern.:p http://www.shtfready.com/threads/1834-Coleman-Lantern-Lighters?highlight=Coleman+lantern+lighter

FL-Jeeper
01-10-2013, 02:22 AM
I am continuing to accept request for prep, bushcraft and fieldcraft so please post if you wish...
EB

How about some basic land navigation?

ElevenBravo
01-10-2013, 07:44 PM

Good one Jeeper. Land nav is probably best taught in person, with practical exercises. However, I think I can put together a video on the subject, but it will be lengthy... I will accept this challenge and post here when finished. Be patient, free time for me is limited....

EB

mitunnelrat
01-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Can you do us a favor then, please? I'm on my Blackberry a lot with tapatalk, and its almost impossible to run lengthy video. Any chance you can break things down into a series if the subject matter allows it?

Thanks.

MegaCPC
01-10-2013, 09:25 PM

Good one Jeeper. Land nav is probably best taught in person, with practical exercises. However, I think I can put together a video on the subject, but it will be lengthy... I will accept this challenge and post here when finished. Be patient, free time for me is limited....

EB
I'm very interested in this as well, my skills (or lack thereof) need some going over.

ElevenBravo
01-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Any chance you can break things down into a series if the subject matter allows it?

Not a chance in hell. But, if you want... when I get it posted PM me your address and Ill send you a DVD of the production.

EB

- - - Updated - - -

My land nav skills are good to go, 16 years in the Infantry. As long as I have a map and a compass, Im on track.

Ill teach about terrain features, map reading in UTM, yada yada yada... This production (land nav) will be quite a challange, it will take some time to complete.... there is a *LOT* of material to cover, so it will be done during free time and as the video accumulates Ill get closer to editing time.

Please be patient with this one... Land nav is something that cant be taught in one day, much less in a 10 min video.

Do bare in mind, my account allows for long videos, so even if the finished video is an hour long, it WILL be uploaded in one piece.

EB

FL-Jeeper
01-10-2013, 10:14 PM
WTG EB. FWIW I did say "basic" :D Realizing land navigation in it's entirety is indeed a lengthy subject, things that I consider basic are how to read a compass and a map, determine magnetic North, know what an azimuth is and how to obtain one, how to travel in a straight line. In regards to some of that suggested bush craft, you could cover field expedient compass, marking your trail or possibly more critical, how to hide evidence of your travel. Just some ideas ;)

ElevenBravo
01-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Okay, okay... dont let your panties creep! Ill keep it as basic as I can but its still a tall order IMHO. I dont play when it comes to land nav, yo.

:-)

EB

Metrocruiser
01-10-2013, 10:28 PM
awesomeness!!

Great topic FL and thanks EB I cant wait. I have been wanting to watch a tutorial on this subject.

mitunnelrat
01-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I'll probably be fine. If I feel I need the refresher that badly I can access a wifi hot spot outside of work.

Just out of curiosity since I've never gotten into making video tutorials... is there some technical difficulty in breaking the video into segments, or some bandwidth constraint restricting uploads? Seems like I evoked a pretty strong response from you.

Outside of my own stated self interest it would seem as though working smaller segments would make it easier for you to teach under the time constraints you mentioned, and easier for the end user to learn/ have time to learn per sitting.

Like I said though, this isn't my forte, so I likely don't even know what I don't know...

apssbc
01-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Even the very basics of types of compasses <-Is that the Plural, maybe how to adjust for declination, take a reading, sight an azimuth, and orient a map. It just needs to be basic so we can get an idea and learn from there. Remember KISS!

ElevenBravo
01-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Hey Rat... Actually, there are pros and cons to both so it can boil down to the preference of the audience, and/or the producer.

For me, I like to put together ONE video for the subject matter.

BTW, I was thinking... since I have quite a bit of storage space, I can build the DVD and generate an ISO from it... then I can post it for download for others to watch off line if wanted... Might as well post the MP4 while Im at it.

EB

mitunnelrat
01-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Hey Rat... Actually, there are pros and cons to both so it can boil down to the preference of the audience, and/or the producer.

For me, I like to put together ONE video for the subject matter.

Ok, I can respect that. I'd say its no different than me choosing still pics and text as my preferred format. The experience is still recorded and shared

Thank you for offering your time, btw. I don't know if its the same for you as it is me, but I enjoy getting outside, and having requests to meet gives me that little extra push of motivation and accountability.

BTW, I was thinking... since I have quite a bit of storage space, I can build the DVD and generate an ISO from it... then I can post it for download for others to watch off line if wanted... Might as well post the MP4 while Im at it.

I like this idea. I didn't think of it when you first mentioned a DVD, but I'm a firm believer in hard copy assets. I'm not a purist though, so I include electronic media with paper when I say that ;) Basically anything you can access offline and off grid is an asset in my mind. So thank you for offering us access to this too.

Domeguy
01-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Any chance on filling me in on this whole 'meaning of life' thing?

Evolver
01-11-2013, 11:07 PM
:rolleyes:

ElevenBravo
01-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Any chance on filling me in on this whole 'meaning of life' thing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushido

Scroll down to "Virtues"

This is one of my beliefs.

EB

Evolver
01-11-2013, 11:33 PM
:cool:

Domeguy
01-12-2013, 08:15 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushido

Scroll down to "Virtues"

This is one of my beliefs.

EB
Rectitude
Courage
Benevolence
Respect
Honesty
Honor
Loyalty
These are all admiral traits in which to live by. By golly, I believe you do know everything.