PDA

View Full Version : Medical Reference

Stg1swret
06-05-2011, 02:04 AM
What medical reference books do you have?
I currenrtly have 'Where there are no doctors", and "Ditch Medicine".

izzyscout21
06-05-2011, 02:34 AM
ive got
where there is no doctor,
a pocket guide to prescription medicine,
The Combat Lifesaver coure as outlined by the army,
and the special forces medical handbook

anyone know of any other good ones?

The Stig
06-05-2011, 03:04 AM
Are the Combat Lifesaver course materials available somewhere for purchase or is that strictly an Army document?

izzyscout21
06-05-2011, 03:10 AM
ive got them somewhere give me a minute

bacpacker
06-05-2011, 03:16 AM
I have a ton of books, gonna have to go thru mine to see what all I do have. The wife used to work for a Dr. and I think she brought in something from him if I can still find it.

izzyscout21
06-05-2011, 03:24 AM
here you go. i think i may have additional,i'll have to find it

bacpacker
06-05-2011, 03:30 AM
Very cool Izzy, downloaded and saved for future study and reference.

izzyscout21
06-05-2011, 03:32 AM
no problem. like i said, If i find the rest of the course material, i'll post it up

bacpacker
06-05-2011, 03:36 AM
I'm thinkin I need to start a medical reference binder with a lot of the stuff I got. Some of mine is Herbal stuff and I've found that it works pretty well over the years. I need to get it all in one spot. Plus scan and burn to a disc as long as power stays up and puter to search would be so much quicker.

izzyscout21
06-05-2011, 03:37 AM
not a bad idea. I've got a bunch of reference material in a 3 ring binder

Grumpy Old Man
06-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Besides those mentioned I have, I have Survival and Austere Medicine in a pdf. I don't remember where I got it, maybe Hesperia. I'm not quite sure how I can attach the file but I'll try.113

bacpacker
07-02-2011, 12:05 AM
I finally had a chance to go thru my Med books. Here a partial list.

Medicinal Plants and Herbs
The Herb Book
Chinese Healing Herbs
The Complete Medicinal Herbal
Medicinal Plants
The Herbalist
Herbal Medicine
US army Special Forces Medical Handbook
The Official Pocket Medical Survival Handbook

I have a few others that I need to dig out and begin going thru them again and marking them up to be scanned and saved together.

I didn't realize we had so many on Herbal Medicine. We bought those before Y2K and got into it for a while, and it pains me to say, but didn't follow thru. As much stuff as we grow, there's no reason we can't get back to that to some degree.

Next on the list is Where there is no Dr and Where there is no Dentist.

Grumpy Old Man
07-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Ask and ye shall receive BP.

Hesperian Foundation (http://www.hesperian.org/publications_download.php)

This is Hesperian, a non-profit health organization. You can download Both WTIN Doctor and WTIN Dentist from here. I tried to upload and attach my pdfs I got from here but the size exceeded the limits of the forum. So I offered this link instead. You can also order hard copies for about $22 each.

bacpacker
07-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks Grumpy! That is awesome. I've never read them completely, got thru about a thrid of WTIN Dr on a job I used to work at. As I remember, there was a lot of really good info in it. I bet the dentist is every bit as good.
I got the wife a Kindle and these will be loaded up ASAP.

bacpacker
07-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Wow that site has lots of book in PDF. I just downloaded 8-10 different medical and health books. They have some good ones on sanitation, water cleanleness, cholera prevention. Thanks again Grumpy.

Sniper-T
10-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Heres a good one, particularly if SHTF in a messy way:

War Medicine (http://www.scribd.com/doc/49288944/War-Medicine)

Stormfeather
10-20-2011, 06:17 AM
Izzy and I have pretty much the same books, Ive also D/L everything I could get from that Hesperian website, lots of good stuff there!

ladyhk13
10-21-2011, 05:16 AM
here you go. i think i may have additional,i'll have to find it

Wow, this looks exactly like the stuff we had to do in Combat Medic School in the Army in San Antonio....time warp...

izzyscout21
10-21-2011, 05:19 AM
Wow, this looks exactly like the stuff we had to do in Combat Medic School in the Army in San Antonio....time warp...

Some things just stay the same. Basic firstline medicine hasn't changes too much....some of the equipment just got snazzier.

tc556guy
04-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Quite a bunch of stuff saved up over the past few years, broken down into several categories. Culled from numerous websites that I would have to work quite a bit just to find individual links to each document again

Tealcat95
04-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Being a retired nurse, I have a boatload of my old refernce books. Also I was on a training team when I was Active Duty C.G. and USN, so I have almost ALL of the training manuals, which includes the Dental Tech basic and advanced, USN Preventive Med manual, and the Nuclear war and survival skills manual.
I also have The Survival Nurse, WTIN Doctor and Dentist, Emergency War Surgery, and Herbal antibiotics just to name a few.

Robert96
04-30-2013, 03:02 PM
If the CLS materials activate your firing mechanism, check out the Military Edition of the Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) book from the National Association of EMT's, ISBN-13:978-0-323-03986-4. Also useful is the 68W Advanced Fieldcraft Combat Medic Skills book from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. It's ISBN 978-0-7637-3564-7. Both books are excellent tactical medicine resources. For austere medicine, any of the Wilderness texts, Wilderness First Responder, or Wilderness EMT, are quite useful. In general, any EMT text is helpful, but much more so if you enroll in the subject course.

Also check out the Ranger Medic Handbook, and the Advanced Tactical Paramedic Protocols Handbook. I think the former is available from North American Rescue, and the latter is an annual supplement to the Journal of Special Operations Medicine, available on their website. Both of them travel in my deployment gear.

Fidel MD
08-09-2013, 02:59 PM
We (my wife, the PhD research pharmacist) and I have a few books - we collect old / antique medical and scientific books and equipment. At least a ton of them, in fact. I also have about 160GB of e-books on several USB drives.

There are a few books available online that are quite worth downloading, IMHO, for long-term medical care. These are mostly based on treatment aboard merchant ships, which can be away from medical care for a couple of weeks at a time. Search for International Medical Guide for Ships, and Ships Medical Chest and Medical Care at Sea.

I also keep handy (downloaded to my laptop, tablet and smartphone) the following books and apps:
SOF Medical Handbook, 2nd Ed (Not the old, 1960's edition), Ranger Medical Handbook, REMM (Radiological Emergency Medical Management), WISER for Windows (Hazmat info), Buttarviolli's Minor Medical Emergencies, Surviving Terrorism, Trott's Wounds and Lacerations, Planning Guidance for Response to a Nuclear Detonation 2nd Ed

A copy of Gray's Anatomy is probably not terribly useful for most - and if it's the 'historical' version, it's not terribly useful for anyone.

Here are the more or less standard texts used today in medical school, listed by subject and author (you can use that on Amazon to find the books). The first, and most important book to get is a professional level medical dictionary. They're mostly all the same, I prefer Stedman's but Tabor and Dorland have the same words.

The really large textbooks (>5 lbs, >$150) like Harrison's Internal Medicine, etc are for refined study. If you want to know the history of diabetes treatment, for example, thats a place to go look.

Anatomy: Netter, Rohen

Embryology: Langmans

Histology: No real standard, but usually its the atlas by Wheater

Physiology: Guyton

Biochemistry: Lippincott's review

Medical Psychology: Kaplan and Kaplan

Biostatistics: Glasers High-Yield Review. "Studying the Study and Testing the Test" by Riegelman should be required reading for anyone who reads a medical journal, as should "The Trouble with Medical Journals" by Richard Smith

Neuroanatomy: Snell, and for an atlas, Haines

Pharmacology: Lange

Pathology: Robbins and Coltrane

Clinical Medicine: This is where it gets interesting.

Most everyone uses the book (and videos) by Bates for physical exam skills. These were originally written for training nurses and nurse practitioners, and are somewhat basic for physicians. They do show the basic mechanical skills well enough for beginners.

I prefer teaching using Schwartz for the basics, and then using De Gowin for the details.

3-M/Littman has a series of recordings available on line and free for interpreting heart and lung sounds.

For interpretation of ECG, the go-to book is Dubin, and then for more refined interpretation Garcia's 12-lead ECG

For general weird diagnosis stuff, the standard book (updated yearly) is Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment, published by Lange.

I recommend that all new medical students (3rd year to end of 1st year of residency) have a copy of the Clinicians Pocket Reference by Gomella (also called the Scut Monkey's Handbook), and the Maxwell's Quick Medical Reference. Also a drug reference, ideally on their PDA or Smartphone (Epocrates) or a paper copy of something like Tarascon or Sanford. Something like the Merck Manual is less valuable to carry around.

In training rotations like Internal Medicine, a guide like the Washington Manual of Medical Therapeutics, or the Fermi Guide, is good to have.

In Pediatrics, the Harriet Lane book.

In Surgery, something like Surgical Recall, but students need to be studying the textbooks like Schwartz's. In addition to the Scut Monkey's Handbook (Gomella's Clinicians Pocket Reference) I have a copy of Mosby's Pocket Manual of Basic Surgical Skills. I also like (and occasionally still refer to) a book that is long out of print, Surgical Knots and Suturing Techiques - but most people should NOT be closing wounds in the field, no matter what. I'll post a rant on that separately. For the times you should, Trott's Wounds and Lacerations.

Emergency Medicine is not all about Trauma. It incorporates a lot of primary care medicine. The standard texts for EM are either Rosen's Emergency Medicine ($373 on Amazon), or Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine (around $200). Both big books.

A good family practice text might be helpful, Davidsons Principals and Practice.

People (including medical students) seem to think they can get by with just buying course review, or test prep books, like the Board Review Series (BRS), Made Ridiculously Simple series, etc. Not a good idea, medicine isn't learned by memorizing "for this, that" kinds of factoids.

And the "Where there is no Doctor/Dentist/whatever" series is pretty basic stuff - designed for real third world areas where the patients have never seen a medical professional, and their health care giver is just slightly trained.

For carrying around books in a medical kit, the good ones these days are (IMPO) the Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook, available from the US GPO; Auerbach's Field Guide to Wilderness Medicine (the textbook, Wilderness Medicine is also quite good, not just the two chapters I wrote).

HTH