PDA

View Full Version : Lesson: Cheap memory cards are..... Cheap.

ElevenBravo
01-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Well, I learned a hard lesson today. I just got my new super duper HD Canon camcorder, got my wireless mic working perfectly, and did an entire video on my .22 cal air rifle.

I went to transfer the files for editing, however the final MTS was totally corrupt.

A 32gig SD card for $14... well, this is a $14 lesson in cheap cards. Next one I get will be in the $40-$50 range, because it will be a real brand name certified high speed memory card.

The HF10 has 16 gigs of internal memory, I *should* have shot it on the internal memory, which is guaranteed to be perfect... but no, I wanted to use my new cheap high capacity SD card.

Just so you know, Ill be re-shooting the entire video, Ill chuck this one up to a "practice round". I reckon Ill take what Ive got that is good, and post a "teaser" video.

I also am waiting on a wide angle lens for my camcorder, after the experience I realize I should have had it to start with, so Ill reshoot *after* I get my wide angle adapter.

Lesson: Getting something really cheap, ends up getting you a cheap product in most cases. Cameras, camcorders and memory cards are a prime example.

HTH someone....
EB

msomnipotent
01-12-2013, 10:55 PM
I just bought a 32gb memory card yesterday for our trip. I was going to buy the cheapest one too because I'm just computer wise. My husband insisted on getting Sandisk. I think I would faint if we took hundreds of pictures at Disney and then found out something was wrong with the memory card!

ElevenBravo
01-13-2013, 04:46 AM
Well, there you go! Sandisk is one of the better/best brands. For me, it was a matter of inconvenience. For someone else, it might be baby pictures at the hospital..... the moments you cannot go back and re-capture.

EB

msomnipotent
01-13-2013, 06:05 AM
Well, I think it goes without saying that I should have said, "I'm just not computer wise", but I just said it.

I have also bought PNY and Kingston on Black Friday deals and haven't had a problem, but my husband doesn't want me to buy Kingston again. I have no idea why. We haven't had problems with ours, but I guess it isn't a brand name.

I am planning on buying several memory cards this year as this is the year I photograph everything I own in case a tornado hits. It was supposed to be last year, but time got in the way.

So what brand did you buy that you were not happy with?

ElevenBravo
01-13-2013, 06:26 AM
It wasnt even a brand, it was a generic off ebay. Not ebay's fault though... Buyer beware. I should have known better.

EB

The Stig
01-13-2013, 12:14 PM
ElevenBravo,

Buying cheap and getting burned is something I am well aware of. I generally buy the best I can afford but occasionally cheap out...and nearly always get burned. This usually results in epic rants here at the Colony where the membership secretly laughs at Ole Stiggy for being a dumbass.

helomech
01-13-2013, 01:58 PM
I have tons of memory sticks for my game cameras and have not had an issue with any of them. Even the cheap ones. I think I have about 20 of them total. Did you format the stick before you took pics with it? If not format it and try again.

robsdak
01-13-2013, 05:18 PM
ElevenBravo, This usually results in epic rants here at the Colony where the membership secretly laughs at Ole Stiggy for being a dumbass.

secretly my ass, sometimes i damn near fall out my chair for laughing so hard... :p

in todays economy, Cheap is just that, CHEAP! just remember, you get what you pay for. but i feel your pain. i have a lil' sister that thinks she is saving money by buying cheap. if it breaks she buys 2 next time 1 is bound to work right. me, i never try to save money on some items. tools,clothes,boots/shoes.

ElevenBravo
01-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Theres a BIG difference between saving a single 640X480 JPEG image to an el'cheapo memory card, and trying to record full 1080 HD video at 60i running at 12mbp/s my friend.

In the first, any memory card would work... The ladder, one the best will accept the data rate and not choke up. Hindsight.... is 20/20.

EB

helomech
01-13-2013, 09:40 PM
Theres a BIG difference between saving a single 640X480 JPEG image to an el'cheapo memory card, and trying to record full 1080 HD video at 60i running at 12mbp/s my friend.

In the first, any memory card would work... The ladder, one the best will accept the data rate and not choke up. Hindsight.... is 20/20.

EB

I have shot plenty video with it using my camera and game cams. BTW my 700 dollar game cams shoot video.

ElevenBravo
01-13-2013, 10:58 PM
Well, then.... bravo.

bacpacker
01-13-2013, 11:04 PM
I have got several brands over the years, while I've never lost a whole cards worth, I have had portions get taken out. I've gotten to where I only use Sandisk or PNY brand. Anything I'm putting on them is something I don't want to lose, or something I HAVE to have work when needed.