PDA

View Full Version : Smaller food containers

prepguide
01-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Decided I wanted to have spaghetti for dinner last night. Grabbed two flavors of canned sauce, same brand but purchased two years apart (different flavors) and had them sitting side by side. Wasn't paying all that much attention until I went to stack something on top of them for a moment and when I did the smaller can of mushrooms was off kilter.

Hmmm says I why is that? Really took a look at the two cans and the one purchased two years ago was 26 ounces and the one purchased more recently was 24 ounces but the prices was the same for each purchase (.98 a can). So they are selling me less product for the same amount of $$. I've seen this in a variety of other products as well but that one caught me off guard. I obviously have not been paying as close attention to some of my purchases as others, so they got me on that one.

What other similar situations have you encountered?

MegaCPC
01-15-2013, 12:13 PM
It's just the producers way of making more money at your expense. Same size packaging, slightly less product. May not seem like much but when you are a manufacturer, a few ounces here and there really adds up.

I feel so ripped off when I buy a bag of potato chips nowadays. Half the damn bag is air.

I've noticed it on some beer too. A 12 fl. oz bottle may have anywhere from 11-12 fluid ounces of brew in it.

Bastards.

bacpacker
01-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Most everything has been reduced in size. Tuna peanut butter ice cream pasta. Just a different way to jack up prices.

4suchatimeasthis
01-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Tuna peanut butter ice cream

Dang, Bp! I've heard of some odd ice cream flavors, but that's just nasty! ;)

Just a few months ago the granola bars we buy for my kids school snack drastically changed. They went from 8 in a box, to 10, BUT they are all about half the size. I did an oz comparison and I was furious, nearly 1/3 of the product was cut, when they "redesigned" the box and wrapper. Friggin' Sunbelt.

bacpacker
01-15-2013, 04:49 PM
Damn that does sound nasty. Sorry I lost my commas.

4suchatimeasthis
01-15-2013, 05:20 PM
It's okay, I got a good laugh out of it....and today, I needed something to laugh at.

bacpacker
01-15-2013, 10:53 PM
:) Glad I could help!

ak474u
01-16-2013, 12:51 AM
Wanna see a really slick package to shaft you out of the contents? Check out canned salmon, it's a graduated cylinder talk about saving 1/8oz per can times 20-30 million cans.

ElevenBravo
01-16-2013, 01:10 AM
Well, IMHO, peanut butter ice cream sounds delicious.

Sorry for being off topic...
EB

Sniper-T
01-17-2013, 12:20 AM
pb ice cream is delicious. I love mixing a gob of it into some cookie dough ice cream.... but I leave the tuna out!

prepguide
01-17-2013, 03:11 AM
So many products are getting smaller and/or have had the price increased. I strongly believe that it will only get worse as we get deeper into this year. The buying power of our dollars has been shrinking for some time so smart shopping is key.