PDA

View Full Version : "In The Mist" of a "Winter Storm"....

ElevenBravo
01-17-2013, 11:13 PM
These people, who the hell ever they are.... Need to research the word "storm", but thats what they call it. The system we are getting now, though it demands respect... it IMHO *not* a storm, but just... a winter system.

None the less, I am in the mist of it, and yes... it is being video documented. Ill post the final here when the system has concluded it's intentions.

Right now (In SW VA), I have about 4 inches of really wet & heavy snow... The mains (thats the power from the electric company for you non technicals) is flicking in and out at random so I am just waiting on it to cease all together... which in secret is what Id just assume it would do, and be done with it.

Its 7pm and I have the A Clock set for 3:30am to get ready for work. Im done with video for the day/evening and charging the pocket cam for tomorrow's trek to work adventure.

With temps expected to rise to around 50's Sat, I anticipate it will all be over around then.

Side note: I did test some of my gear in the snow, here is a list of the gear and results:

Belleveill 600 boots with Goretex (http://www.patriotsurplus.com/b600.html) (Links to people I bought them from, A++)
Redledge rain jacket & pant
Neoprene gloves
Military cold weather top (Ive used extensively before...)

Conclusion: Hands, feet, legs, head & body all warm and dry! Took the dog for a walk around the block, about a 20 min trek at a leisurely pace... I sloshed my feet in the deepest snow and slush the entire time. Belleville kicks ass, as does the Goretex that resides in it.

Anywho... Video to be posted in THIS thread at the conclusion.

EB

Echo2
01-17-2013, 11:38 PM
We have about 10" up here on the mountain....I'll post some pics in the morn.

bacpacker
01-17-2013, 11:46 PM
We got about 3" here at the house this evening. This one was kinda strange. We had zip at work, north of the house, got almost home before there was much laying. My parents live 30 miles or so to the east and they have 6". I haven't heard yet, but I bet the mountians got 12+".

ElevenBravo
01-18-2013, 12:08 AM
Still have juice. As soon as I got home, I went to swap propane tanks... The one for primary heat was 1/4 full, then another was 1/4 full... so I took an empty for a swap and got a full. So I have a full and a 1/2 20lb tanks total, in case mains drops and I need some heat.

I normally try to stay on top and be ready BEFORE the event, but with limited funds sometimes comes limited preps.

Anywho, I got plenty of 1 lb tanks for stove & lanterns, plus I have 3 gals of white gas for the coleman pump lanterns and the stove's tank, and a good amount of liquid paraffin for the hurricane lanterns, so all in all, Im more than good to go for a while...

It pays to prep BEFORE that event, than to wait for DURING the event.

EB

Echo2
01-18-2013, 12:33 AM
Still have juice. As soon as I got home, I went to swap propane tanks... The one for primary heat was 1/4 full, then another was 1/4 full... so I took an empty for a swap and got a full. So I have a full and a 1/2 20lb tanks total, in case mains drops and I need some heat.

I normally try to stay on top and be ready BEFORE the event, but with limited funds sometimes comes limited preps.

Anywho, I got plenty of 1 lb tanks for stove & lanterns, plus I have 3 gals of white gas for the coleman pump lanterns and the stove's tank, and a good amount of liquid paraffin for the hurricane lanterns, so all in all, Im more than good to go for a while...

It pays to prep BEFORE that event, than to wait for DURING the event.

EB

Let me know if you need some 20lb tanks....I have a line on them.

I keep a bunch of propane for cooking.

And I pulled the welder home....withan extra 15 gallons of fuel....8500w generator...:)

And I keep about 40, 1 lb tanks for the lanterns...just in case.(got them from CVS on sale at end of season....$2 for 2 tanks)

4suchatimeasthis
01-18-2013, 01:31 AM
I am so jealous. We don't really get snow over this way :(. We tend to just get cold rain/ice mixes, but not real snow. I grew up in northern Wisconsin, and some days I miss a good snowfall, and REAL winter weather.

Then, when I don't have to go shovel the driveway, and my nose hairs don't freeze before I get off the porch, and the snow doesn't squeak, and my car's seat foam isn't frozen rock hard, and I don't have to drive on roads that are completely snow covered so that you have to guess where the road is (much less the lines!), I stop missing it, bwahahahaha!

Gunfixr
01-18-2013, 02:21 AM
You guys are in VA, I'm in VA, but I'm just getting rain.
Dammit.

Sniper-T
01-18-2013, 11:18 AM
We had 4" last night too. The radio called it a light dusting. The only thing it means for me is that I get to do my driveway this weekend.

Echo2
01-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Woke up to about a foot of snow....sorry I didn't get any pics....had to get to the shop.

Cars everywhere on the mountain.....last night there were 28 stranded vehicles in a 2 mile stretch.

One of my friends was running his "Superburban" up and down the road giving rides and pulling folks out.

Told him now he was dripping with good karma....:)

Sniper-T
01-18-2013, 02:43 PM
One of my friends was ... giving rides and pulling folks out.

I do this too, after a real storm

Told him now he was dripping with good karma....:)

I prefer to be dripping with $50.00 bills

:cool:

Echo2
01-18-2013, 02:52 PM
I do this too, after a real storm

I prefer to be dripping with $50.00 bills

:cool:

This guy....really....really....doesn't need the money.

If I moved into his garage....I would almost triple my square footage.

It's attached to the house by a 20' x 60' enclosed walkway.

He will probably have scraped my driveway by the time I get home....:)

ElevenBravo
01-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Echo, thx for the offer but Im pretty set, more or less. Mains stayed on but gat daum woke up to a 55 deg house, the gat daum pilot went out on the furnace! WTF, over?!?!

Had to light it this AM and all is good.

Ive got several 20lb tanks, just not all are full right now. <sigh>.

Your a true trooper Echo... Ill keep you in mind when S really HTF and I need a hand up! <grin>

EB

ElevenBravo
01-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Video in editing...

ElevenBravo
01-19-2013, 06:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z80BP5caZrc

Evolver
01-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Well... I gave it a Google to learn the difference and came up not any smarter. :confused:

Storm
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
"Windstorm" redirects here. For the type of storm in Europe, see European windstorm. For the Gloria Jones album, see Windstorm (album).
For other uses, see Storm (disambiguation).
A shelf cloud associated with a heavy or severe thunderstorm over Enschede, Netherlands

A storm (Proto-Germanic *sturmaz "noise, tumult") is any disturbed state of an astronomical body's atmosphere, especially affecting its surface, and strongly implying severe weather. It may be marked by strong wind, hail, thunder and/or lightning (a thunderstorm), heavy precipitation (snowstorm, rainstorm), heavy freezing rain (ice storm), strong winds (tropical cyclone, windstorm) or wind transporting some substance through the atmosphere (as in a dust storm, blizzard, sandstorm, etc.). Storms generally lead to negative impacts to lives and property, such as storm surge, heavy rain or snow (causing flooding or road impassibility), lightning, wildfires, and vertical wind shear; however, systems with significant rainfall can alleviate drought in places they move through. Heavy snowfall can allow special recreational activities to take place which would not be possible otherwise, such as skiing and snowmobiling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=Winter+System&button=&title=Special%3ASearch
"Winter System" does not exist. You can ask for it to be created, but consider checking the search results below to see whether the topic is already covered.

I thought I'd go to school and learn the difference but all of my searchers came up empty so can you elaborate on the differences. :)

ElevenBravo
01-20-2013, 09:51 PM
From the past, Ive seen way worse and THAT was a storm! HA HA! However, areas outside of where I live may have been impacted much worse... I cant tell you, because I dont live there.

EB