PDA

View Full Version : Duece and a half?

David Armstrong
01-24-2013, 06:13 PM
I didn't see much come up by way of a search, so excuse me if this has been hashed out before, but why do I see so little love for the military 2 1/2 ton truck as a SHTF vehicle? We used them extensively on the farm when I was younger, and they are still widely available as surplus at what seems to be a pretty good price. 6-wheel drive, usually with an excellent winch already part of the package, multi-fuel capable in many versions, and tough as nails.

Echo2
01-24-2013, 06:55 PM
We have one at the retreat.....very tough vehicles.

izzyscout21
01-24-2013, 08:04 PM

I hate you.:o

David Armstrong
01-24-2013, 08:35 PM
That is us to some extent. Not at the retreat per se, but at our initial staging point should bugout be necessary. Just was wondering why it seems so many people put so much into other vehicles that aren't nearly as likely to provide the service one of those things will, and why so few mention them when discussing transport.

ElevenBravo
01-24-2013, 08:57 PM
I want a bobbed duce for a daily driver... call me stupid, but I still want one.

EB

izzyscout21
01-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Just was wondering why it seems so many people put so much into other vehicles that aren't nearly as likely to provide the service one of those things will, and why so few mention them when discussing transport.

Because MOST people think they are a maintenance nightmare, and MOST people think that repair parts are a pain with all the different makes and models, and MOST folks dont know about how to go about getting repair parts for one.

I want one. Really, really bad.

MegaCPC
01-24-2013, 09:49 PM
I didn't see much come up by way of a search, so excuse me if this has been hashed out before, but why do I see so little love for the military 2 1/2 ton truck as a SHTF vehicle? We used them extensively on the farm when I was younger, and they are still widely available as surplus at what seems to be a pretty good price. 6-wheel drive, usually with an excellent winch already part of the package, multi-fuel capable in many versions, and tough as nails.
I feel that a deuce is a total meltdown scenario vehicle. They are loud and slow. Useable only if you can defend it, and is obviously a target if not.

That said, it's probably the best at what it does (offroad transport), and it will pull or haul just about anything.

I want a bobbed duce for a daily driver... call me stupid, but I still want one.

EB

Check out Hundy. (http://100dollarman.com)

bacpacker
01-24-2013, 11:08 PM
I to would like to have one of these. If the plans work out long term, one of these will have a spot on my place.

I know of a place on my way to work that has three or four of them setting around, along with some trailers. I need to check and see if they are for sale, how much, what condition.

helomech
01-24-2013, 11:26 PM
I know the ones I had in the army where always needing something done. Seems the where broke more than running. Now the 5 tons seemed to always work.

ElevenBravo
01-25-2013, 12:11 AM
Ived drooled over $100's page many times...

EB

Stormfeather
01-25-2013, 12:30 AM
Most folks dont realize how easy it is to procure one either. Its as simple as looking up http://www.govliquidation.com and finding one in your area. Most medium size bases, and even some of the smaller ones have a DRMO (Defense Reutilization Marketing Office) on them and they sell them to civilians after completing a small avalanche of paperwork.

You can buy the CUCV as well, which is a bit more practical than the 2.5 ton, but, they are all available for sale.

mitunnelrat
01-25-2013, 12:49 AM
I have the procurement of mine planned in. Look for it to pop up on here in early 2015.

Stormfeather
01-25-2013, 12:52 AM
I have the procurement of mine planned in. Look for it to pop up on here in early 2015.

You sure you are going to have that far ahead to get one? I hear the new Mayan Apocalypse is scheduled for next month. . . and if that one doesnt happen, there may be another one scheduled for later this year! :rolleyes:

mitunnelrat
01-25-2013, 02:31 AM
Lol! No, I'm not sure I'll have that long. I learned here that, Mayan's black helicopter collisions with planet x aside, condoms don't guarantee safe sex, and I could still die tomorrow if I get shot while... well, you know.

Really though, I believe it was T. Roosevelt who said it best: "Do what you can, with what you have, where you're at." A deuce will come in time. Until then I can't worry over it.

Stormfeather
01-25-2013, 02:38 AM
But still. . . those damn black mayan helicopters. . . . they scare me!

ak474u
01-25-2013, 02:52 AM
Lol! No, I'm not sure I'll have that long. I learned here that, Mayan's black helicopter collisions with planet x aside, condoms don't guarantee safe sex, and I could still die tomorrow if I get shot while... well, you know.

Really though, I believe it was T. Roosevelt who said it best: "Do what you can, with what you have, where you're at." A deuce will come in time. Until then I can't worry over it.

After the Mayan apocalypse, you can just run down to the local base or guard unit and pick one up, along with all the goodies you need, I hear ammo, and guns will just be "laying all over the place"

ElevenBravo
01-25-2013, 08:02 PM
I hear ammo, and guns will just be "laying all over the place"

Good luck with that! <smile>

EB

2die4
01-26-2013, 02:18 AM
I never liked the beasts.

David Armstrong
01-26-2013, 09:08 PM
I'd really like to find one of the old 3/4 ton trucks, but they are relatively scarce and really expensive for one in good shape.

Jimmy24
01-27-2013, 04:25 PM
You know this thread has made me think about the dueces. There are two of them in the area, that are privately owned. Both have been for sale for a long time. No idea what prices they have been asking. Both seem to at least run. I may have to stop by and ask now. Ya'll have piqued my interest...

Jimmy

mitunnelrat
02-06-2013, 07:29 AM
Perhaps someone here can help me along a little rabbit trail I'm following at the moment re: tires and wheels. From what I'm reading, they come stock with 20" rims and 37" tires. I'm also seeing this can be done on a Jeep Wrangler (which is what I'd like to replace my daily driver with). I'm way out of my lane on this one, but compatibility between the two seems like a good idea to me. However, I see that deuce enthusiasts recommend a larger rim and tire, and Jeep enthusiasts don't recommend going as large as a 20" rim unless running a 40" tire...

This has me wondering a few things. First, would a 20"/ 40" compromise work for both, would I be able to keep a Wrangler street legal like this, and what is it that I don't know I don't know?

Any help would be great, thanks.

blackhole
02-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Those wheels and tires would be waaay too heavy for a stock wrangler drivetrain to handle. Brakes would be overwhelmed, gas mileage would go way down, and it would ride like a log-wagon.

FL-Jeeper
02-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Perhaps someone here can help me along a little rabbit trail I'm following at the moment re: tires and wheels. From what I'm reading, they come stock with 20" rims and 37" tires. I'm also seeing this can be done on a Jeep Wrangler (which is what I'd like to replace my daily driver with). I'm way out of my lane on this one, but compatibility between the two seems like a good idea to me. However, I see that deuce enthusiasts recommend a larger rim and tire, and Jeep enthusiasts don't recommend going as large as a 20" rim unless running a 40" tire...

This has me wondering a few things. First, would a 20"/ 40" compromise work for both, would I be able to keep a Wrangler street legal like this, and what is it that I don't know I don't know?

Any help would be great, thanks.

Your first hurdle is the bolt pattern. Next up is backspacing. Deuce rims are dished & while I don't know the backspacing specs off hand, I don't see how it would work even with some gigantic spacers/adapters.

THAT SAID, I have seen a dude put deuce axles under a JK Wrangler. It was a monster with the full width axles but the owner claimed it was streetable.

I'll see if I can dig up a link.

FL-Jeeper
02-06-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm having trouble finding the particular monster but I did find this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwgmhPkr54c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Rockwell axles are popular upgrades for the more extreme folks.

Found it!!! http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/886486-jk-build.html

$$$$$$$$$

:D

Sniper-T
02-06-2013, 12:49 PM
That's an awesome build! I love Exo-skeletons!!! Would be real easy to set up some plates for armour.

I don't know about where you are, but that would NOT be street legal here. Tires can only stick out 4" beyond the side of the vehicle without requiring flared fenders to cover them

FL-Jeeper
02-06-2013, 01:24 PM
That's an awesome build! I love Exo-skeletons!!! Would be real easy to set up some plates for armour.

I don't know about where you are, but that would NOT be street legal here. Tires can only stick out 4" beyond the side of the vehicle without requiring flared fenders to cover them

Yeah, & I notice he trailers the rig too. Another concern would be the legality of the full hydraulic steering setup. I know in some states these systems are not street legal. Down here in FL you can run pretty much anything as long as it has turn signals & headlights.

mitunnelrat
02-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Well then! lol...

It seemed like a good idea last night. The little academic knowledge I do have on the topic had me surmising a new drive train and brakes would have to be part of the package, and I saw mention of the deuce axles under a Wrangler.

I believe I'll have to let this idea go

Btw, thanks for the links on this. I'll have to look later since they're both likely to cause my dial up to fail ;)