PDA

View Full Version : Survival Tactics - Soldier of Fortune July 2011 issue

Fatty
06-05-2011, 11:00 PM
I found an article in the titled magazine while paging through at Fleet Farm. It just discusses the basics of what to have in a bugout bag so I thought I'd post it since it won't let me access it on the SOF's website.

Basic Items to consider(1 person for 7-14 days)-

3 sets of underwear and socks
Warm sweater and warm hat (regardless of climate)
Gloves
Light wind-proof jacket
Durable pants
3 durable long sleeve shirts
1 pair of robust shoes/boots
Poncho/rain gear
Basic bathroom kit, roll or 2 of toilet paper
Back-up meds and prescription glasses
Large trash bags (many uses)
Strike-anywhere matches, fire starter, and those relight joke birthday candles.
8-14 MRE and hard candy
Light towerl, baby powder(for dry showering)
Plenty of feminine hygiene products(if applicable)
Sheath or utility pocket knife and multi-tool
Wool blanket or sleeping bag
Gallon or more of water per person (if possible)
Water purification tablets or filter system and a metal cup or pot.
100 feet of 550 cord
Flashlight and extra batteries
Cash in $5 and $10 bills (possibly gold coins for barter)
portable hand-crank radio
Firearm(s) and ammo
Copies of important papers, such as identification cards, wills, insurance, birth cert's, passports, and so on
Note pad, pencils and pens
First aid kit

Basic travel bag items-
Small back pack of some type may be the best container for ease of carry as you walk out.
Small flashlight and batteries
100 feet of 550cord
Handgun(where legal) and extra ammo (some to possibly use for barter) Due to weight and space, a .22 caliber is best for overall survival versatility.
Hunting or good utility knife.
3-6 MRE's and hard candy
Quart or 2 of water (change it every couple of weeks)
Small portable radio and batteries
Chemicals to purify water and a metal cup or pot
A reliable way to start a fire
Toilet paper
Some large garbage bags
Back-up required med's, stimulants, and glasses.
Some money and a few gold coins(if possible)
Warm hat and light jacket, decent shoes.

The above was mostly quoted from the article written by Robert Sundance

Most of this is stuff thats all been said before on these kinds of sites. Its just nice when you can keep track of consistencies. I know I always get an extra idea or 2 from what is discussed in any article or show that I see on this topic.

bacpacker
06-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Good post. I too love to look at various list to compare and contrast what's on them. Always good ides to grab it seems.

One thing I disagree with is the gold coins. Gold is great to have, but in a BOB and BAD situation you will not get value for the gold. IMO Silver (dimes, and quarters) will be more along the lines of the value of items you may need. That is unless your tryin to buy your way outa trouble or buy back a loved one. If that's the case we're screwed anyway.

Also mnetioned was a sweater and wind proof jacket, I used a gore tex coat to cover this. It's very light, waterproof, wind proof, and layered over a wicking set of long john's I'm good well down into the 40's, maybe even upper 30's.

LUNCHBOX
06-07-2011, 01:13 AM
I'm with you on the Gore-tex (I hate sweaters anyway) if you layer right you can get by with less heavy gear. I agree, the smaller silver coins would work better for barter. (IMO) I don't think I would walk around with my important paperwork either.

bacpacker
06-07-2011, 01:58 AM
I love Gore-tex. I got one almost 30 years ago right after it came out and have been completely satisfied. I've also tried some of the other knock offs, cheaper but also heavier and the 2 types I bought both were good at shedding rain, but would sweat you to death (not very breathable). Gore products to me seem to breathe very well. Generally in warm weather I will just get wet instead of putting the coat on and sweating my ass off. I put off enough body heat I generally dry my clothes back out pretty quick. I've done the same in winter if there is very little to no wind. ut you really have to keep an eye on the weather as well as your own condition.

I have a thumb drive in a padded case with all my important papers in the GHB, which will also go with the BOB should it be needed.