PDA

View Full Version : Testing the Frogg Toggs

ElevenBravo
01-27-2013, 03:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxBe_JnFx2g

Good rain gear, but I upgraded to the Redledge gear.

EB

mitunnelrat
01-27-2013, 06:10 AM
I got my dad a set of these for work - where he's exposed to a regular spray of water and a few different chemicals. They've held up well enough under those conditions I kind figured I'd buy myself some for backpacking.

You have me curious on the Red Ledge though. Iirc correctly you said the feel of the material made a difference for you. Where else did it outshine the FT's for you?

ElevenBravo
01-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Hey rat, thanks for checking in. To be honest, the Toggs were perfectly good, they did what they were supposed to and kept me dry, for that... I give it A+. However, I felt the material it's self may not hold up to rough use and over time would possibly fail. It also felt like putting on a sand blasting suit... mostly because the two materials are the same, just the Toggs are a lot thicker.

The RedLedge are effective in rain proofing just the same, but they are a thinner material. I would have to say they are more light in weight.. but not enough to advertise on a bill board, and they do appear to pack down way smaller and easier than the Toggs. RedLedge also has better draping characteristics so its more like wearing clothes than a space suit.

If I only had $X to spend and needed a rain suit, Id get the Toggs no problem, but be attentive to what you do while you have them. I have my reservations on how durable they would be doing a low crawl for a good distance and doing combat rolls.

I hope that helps, any other question-ask. Thats what were all here for, the share and learn!
EB

wickedwoman
02-19-2013, 10:28 PM
We love our Frogg Toggs! We do a lot of riding and the Toggs are a must have for the saddlebags on the bikes.

bacpacker
02-19-2013, 10:54 PM
My wife got a set and they do a good job of keeping you dry. My big dislike was the lack of packability. When we hike, I found it nearly impossible to pack them down to a small size, in particular when doing both the pants and jacket.

On another front, IIRC they are made of Tyvek, which is the same material used by radiological control techs and others in a nuclear enviroment when they have to enter a comtaminated area. I've worn both jacket/pants and coveralls while doing various calibrations and such. Other than blowing out a shoulder seam in a jacket. I've never had any issue with them. While i don't think they would hold up well tramping thru heavy brush or crawling across the ground, for cleaning up a spill, working with chemicals, or heaven forbid cleaning up after a nuclear incedent I don't think you could beat them.

Jimmy24
03-06-2013, 02:23 PM
My wife got a set and they do a good job of keeping you dry. My big dislike was the lack of packability. When we hike, I found it nearly impossible to pack them down to a small size, in particular when doing both the pants and jacket.

On another front, IIRC they are made of Tyvek, which is the same material used by radiological control techs and others in a nuclear enviroment when they have to enter a comtaminated area. I've worn both jacket/pants and coveralls while doing various calibrations and such. Other than blowing out a shoulder seam in a jacket. I've never had any issue with them. While i don't think they would hold up well tramping thru heavy brush or crawling across the ground, for cleaning up a spill, working with chemicals, or heaven forbid cleaning up after a nuclear incedent I don't think you could beat them.

I have been debating on buying a set. It seemed to me they might be a tad warm to wear in the summer. Can you enlighten me to that. Also isn't Tyvek what house wrap is made of? Good post.

Jimmy

bacpacker
03-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Tyvek is used as a house wrap and seems to be pretty effective, although I have no data to back that up. They are pretty hot in the summer. But not any worse than the pvc type. They dont breath like gore tex.

Jimmy24
03-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Tyvek is used as a house wrap and seems to be pretty effective, although I have no data to back that up. They are pretty hot in the summer. But not any worse than the pvc type. They dont breath like gore tex.

Thanks BP. That's the info I needed. My old rain gear is starting to get really dated. It's a commerical grade rubber/cloth lined type, but man it's just like being in the rain...:rolleyes:

I think I will spring for a nice set of the Gore-Tex stuff. Everything says it holds up nicely and BREATHS!!!

Thanks again.

Jimmy

bacpacker
03-07-2013, 05:34 PM
I hace tried at least three of the knock off GoreTex products and none of them have performed nearly as well as the real thing. I got my first piece in 1982 not long after it came out. I used it until the 90s when the seams started leaking badly.