PDA

View Full Version : Igloos don't have to be 0C if you have a few items & time...

Marthony
01-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Afternoon!

This is a bit of an obscure example to be practical for many, but I think is a decent example of how using inexpensive materials can improve a shelter.

This is the 9' igloo model as built by the Icebox igloo building tool; it is 9' wide on inside of the floor & 6'7" high to the outside of the wall. I then lined the inside with mylar emergency blankets to determine what kind of temperature difference it would make. The mylar doesn't touch the snow wall at any point. The process was this:

1- I started by creating small holes through the igloo wall with one of the Icebox poles.
2- I then used the same pole to push through popsicle sticks with string tied to the center of each, with the string hanging inside the igloo. A slight tug and the sticks were in place.
3- I folded single-ply cardboard & punched a hole through the center. Then, using a punch, pushed each string through the hole and secured the cardboard against the igloo wall with a piece of duct tape on the string/cardboard.
4- A tape loop was made and pressed against each anchor point.
5- Emergency blankets were unfolded, and installed one at a time, by pressing the material against an anchor point and gently tensioning before pressing against the next to maximize airspace and limit sagging of material.
6- Before starting on the floor, I used clear packing tape to connect one blanket to another, snug things up a bit, and close all gaps.
7- The air hole liner is simply mylar-air bubble-mylar material, rolled up, that I'd bought for an earlier home-made solar oven experiment. I snugged the blanket around it and taped it into place.
8- The floor is cardboard pieces cut to match the curve of the wall taped together with duct tape, with the mylar taped onto it, then taped to the wall mylar.
9- To cover the entrance trench once inside, a piece of carboard was cut to fit and mylar taped onto it. It then sits in place; it is not sealed like the rest of the setup.

And the answer is: 8C at 1' above the igloo floor, via my bodyheat & a few candles! I'm well aware I should have arranged to take readings at 2, 3, 4' etc., but by that time I was rather comfortable and had lost the balance of motovation & sobriety to leave the igloo to get, say, a 4' level & duct tape to run more tests. Without candles the temp at the same height dropped to 4C.

I've since learned that my air hole was twice as large as it needed to be; mine was 2.5-3" across, and 1.5" would have been ample for 1-2 people not cooking food. Someday I'll repeat the experiment with improvements and take full readings. If this was to be used for more than a night or two, I'd want to have put plastic under the cardboard first to prevent it from moisture, and perhaps also on top to prevent tearing. I used 6 e.blankets for this, with material left over

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/marthony/

This was time-intensive to do, but experiments always are the first time around...

Thoughts?

Sniper-T
01-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Nice!

Kodiak
01-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Good job! Will the igloo last all winter or do you get the snow and melt cycle like we do in ohio? One day we have a foot of snow and the next its 65 and sunny.

Marthony
01-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Thanks!

This igloo should last to the end of the winter, provided there isn't too much rainfall in central BC. Recent snowfall has thickened it, so it may be just fine. Eventually the sunny side will melt away leaving a half-igloo. =)

Locally, an 8' model version I made in mid-November is still up though it has sagged a good foot. I've improved my building technique though, so I'm hoping sagging shouldn't occur as much on the 9' & later builds.

I have to say, the warmer temp & 100% humidity wasn't a perfect combination...I'll have to put some thought into how to make this a more comfortable.

It would be interesting to build a larger igloo early in the winter, and see if a central column support would work well to prevent sagging...

Sniper-T
01-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Sagging usually symbolizes less than ideal snow conditions. the blocks actually compress, and cause the middle to droop. This can be a dangerous situation!!!

Granted, snow/weather conditions aren't always ideal, but there are a couple tricks that might help you out, as long as you are not in a hurry to do your build... Precut all your blocks, and stand them on end for a couple days. This will help them 'balance' so the top is not cold, and the insulated bottom warmer. Do your build slower... put up a layer, shore it it you have to, but then leave it for a day to set, and then put up your next layer. Your top couple can all go up at once, because without the cap stone, they'll be a bitch to try to keep up. Then when you put in the capstone, try to make it substancially thicker than the rest of the pcs. flush it on the inside, but leave what is sticking out bigger than needed. Once the last couple layers compress a little, a couple guys can pop out the capstone, adjust the sag out of it, and recap it.

Another way is to anticipate it to sag, and build it more cone shaped { <-- or so it is like that on the top. Once it settles, it'll be a more traditional shape.

Ah... the good old days!

ak474u
01-28-2013, 07:10 PM
I need a tutorial on how to make a mudloo, or a dirtloo. We've had about 3 inches of cold white stuff this year, and it's 72* here today.

Marthony
01-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Indeed Sniper-T, while 'sugar' snow is harder to work with it compresses less than the fantastic 'snowball' sticky stuff.

In my case as I'm using the Icebox tool I don't have all the options you described; one block is created against the one to the right & the one below it, and is not created beforehand. I do not have Inuit igloo building skills yet. =) On the plus side, I don't have to quarry my snow - I make blocks from loose snow one after the other.

I'll give some thought to your comment of building them more cone shaped however. As is, the Icebox comes with poles & setting on each to make 5 sizes of igloos. The 2 largest sizes are less cone-shaped than the smaller 2 sizes and are known to sag more quickly. It would take some work, but may be possible to rearrange the poles/settings to get a different shape.

Ak474u, cover your igloo with a white tarp, or multiple e-blankets. =)