PDA

View Full Version : June 6, Disembarkation Day

Grumpy Old Man
06-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Just a reminder that today marks the 67th anniversary of D-Day. If you know of any WW II vets still living, be sure to thank them for their service and sacrifice. And to all the vets here, Thank you for your service and sacrifice. You can also show your support by purchasing a "buddy poppy" from your local VFW member.

RedJohn
06-06-2011, 07:19 PM
I especially thank them being born where they landed.

bacpacker
06-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Very good post Grumpy. I knew 3 folks that landed on D Day. Great guys all. I never heard any of them say a word about their service. They flew a flag everytime I was around them. But I never knew about their service until I read their Obit. That was a great group of folks.

alpmco
06-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Company L, 320th Infantry, 35th Division landed on June 7, 1944.
That is where my dad was in the war. He mad it as far as the Ardennes when a air burst took him permanently out of the action. After several months of recovery he was sent to France and ran a hotel for soldiers returning from the front for R&R. If asked he will give up little tidbits of life in France or during training but he has never talked about his service between landing in Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge. I was unaware of just haw badly he was injured until several years ago when I was with him at the doctors for his checkup. I never noticed all the scars until then and the ones I had noticed I figured happened throughout life. It never occurred to me when I was younger that they all happened at the same time as a result of the war.