PDA

View Full Version : Hidden clause in HealthCare Act could cause food shortage

ladyhk13
01-28-2013, 04:38 AM
As I was was watching the Sunday news with one eye and half an ear this afternoon something snapped me into reality. Hidden in the Health Care Act is a clause that requires all foods that are sold to be labled with how many calories are in it. Well at first glance it sounds like a pain in the butt for food companies but really no big deal right? Wrong!

Origionally it was said that "no one was considering putting grocery stores under this rule" but then decided why not? Which means every apple pie, every roll in the bakery, every chicken breast in the deli, every item on the shelf must have how many calories are in it. How is that calculated? The items must be sent to a lab for testing and all documentation must be at the store plus items labled too. Can you imagine how expensive this is going to be? Now, for those stores who are not in compliance with the new regulations, the store will be fined and get this THE OWNER, PRESIDENT WILL BE JAILED! Yes, I said jailed.
So, stores will now be faced with a choice (as will any other place that has food or manufactures it)...pay extreme amounts of money to comply or remove them from their shelves. This I believe is going to create a food shortage in a very short amount of time. I can't remember what the newscast (it was on FOX) said about the timeframe when it was going into effect but I believe it was fairly soon.
Knowing this I have began to rethink my prepping on food storage. I know that everyone is focused on guns and ammo right now (maybe that's why this is slipping through the cracks and no one is talking about it?) but I think that maybe it would be a good time to actually plan on the food more and really think about getting more self sufficient so I don't have to buy things so much at the store.

Can any of you give me some ideas of things that really need to be purchased because they either can't be grown easily or raised? I know right now I have to can or freeze meats since we don't have animals yet but things like sugar I know I have to buy but I'm trying to think of other items that would need to be purchased. What's left in stores are going to become very expensive as well so I think if ya'll have some extra money you might want to think about adding what you can. I was very surprised at this information. I wish I could remember what program it was on so I could cite it for you but I will keep my ears open now for more information on it.

ladyhk13
01-28-2013, 06:13 AM
Ok, I found the video on this. It explains it much better than I can.
http://video.foxnews.com/v/2122953089001/new-regulations-at-your-supermarket

Echo2
01-28-2013, 10:37 AM
You wanna hear something else crazy....

The Dept. of Agriculture.....issued badges and uniforms to select employees.

bacpacker
01-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Other stuff that I know I cant raise myself are several spices we use, tea, coffee, dairy if you dont have animals, some fruits. I am sure there are others as well. I gotta check out the link tonight.

Echo2
01-28-2013, 01:10 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0HdoGEU__tP4DAKrLX4Td-3unYC0IB2zbdVtQxMElztgJAZNrQA

DarkLight
01-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Slightly tangential question, how does this affect farmers markets? 99% of the produce isn't labled with nutritional/caloric information. I'm at work and haven't watched the video so if it's in there I apologize. If they are going to be under this clause then I see a black (or at least grey market) developing almost overnight. We already have a woman in the area who sells free-range eggs from her trunk at the "mailboxes in the parking lot in front of the <specific store here> on <certain day here>"...cash only. She's the one we got the three backpacks from (sweet deal by the way...totally tangential...sorry). This could not only make food skyrocket but just go downhill in general at a break-neck pace.

msomnipotent
01-28-2013, 02:42 PM
I would assume we can say good bye to farmer's markets, even U-pick orchards and the like. I love the breads our grocer bakes, but I doubt they will bother with it now. I'm going to have to learn to bake my own.

Echo2
01-28-2013, 02:51 PM
I would assume we can say good bye to farmer's markets, even U-pick orchards and the like. I love the breads our grocer bakes, but I doubt they will bother with it now. I'm going to have to learn to bake my own.

This would be my thought also...

Taz Baby
01-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Would that affect the farms that sell their foods to markets or small Mom n Pop grocery stores? Or if they sell grains to feed stores? Don't know much about that but I have been looking into places for us to sell our produce to when we get it going good. Mom N Pop stores are everywhere here.

DarkLight
01-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Discussed this with a couple of people at lunch and here was the general consensus (and I've seen the video since my first post).

Farmers Markets:
Produce, Animal Products, Animal By-Products - No affect if they post the FDA standard serving nutritional values for the produce they are selling (Fruits and Veggies, Meat, Poultry, Eggs, Honey, etc.)
Baked, canned, pickled and preserved goods - This is where it could potentially hurt, both the buyer and the seller. I've come up with a couple of ways to minimize the cost to both sides though.
1) Create a bakery/canning/cooking/whatever co-op. Although a lot of the margins are slim in a lot of small businesses, some profit is better than none (unless you go underground entirely). Utilizing a co-operative system you can have access to an establishment that could get discounted "testing" done for caloric count, etc. Additionally, you could most likely get discounts for buying in bulk as well as use equipment that you may not have access to otherwise, potentially giving you tighter control over your end product.
2) Use calorie ranges. Realistic, tight ranges but ranges instead of specific values. There are already places that do this now (Panera Bread comes to mind) on their menus since even though some things come to them already made and they have a fairly tight recipe they work from, there will always be some variation and they simply cannot guarantee a bread bowl will be X calories every single time. If they are realistic and do it in good faith, using the FDA provided nutritional values for ALL of the ingredients in the product, they should be covered.

Let me know what you think...

DL

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I forgot to mention, and I don't want anyone to think I don't realize it's still a big deal...I totally understand that it's a headache and a cost for the sellers to have to both look up the nutritional information for their products and in some cases print out and make signs/laminate/weatherproof, etc. those signs for long term use. I totall get that. I was just trying to think of a way for them to stay in business at all. :)

--DL

Echo2
01-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Discussed this with a couple of people at lunch and here was the general consensus (and I've seen the video since my first post).

Farmers Markets:
Produce, Animal Products, Animal By-Products - No affect if they post the FDA standard serving nutritional values for the produce they are selling (Fruits and Veggies, Meat, Poultry, Eggs, Honey, etc.)
Baked, canned, pickled and preserved goods - This is where it could potentially hurt, both the buyer and the seller. I've come up with a couple of ways to minimize the cost to both sides though.
1) Create a bakery/canning/cooking/whatever co-op. Although a lot of the margins are slim in a lot of small businesses, some profit is better than none (unless you go underground entirely). Utilizing a co-operative system you can have access to an establishment that could get discounted "testing" done for caloric count, etc. Additionally, you could most likely get discounts for buying in bulk as well as use equipment that you may not have access to otherwise, potentially giving you tighter control over your end product.
2) Use calorie ranges. Realistic, tight ranges but ranges instead of specific values. There are already places that do this now (Panera Bread comes to mind) on their menus since even though some things come to them already made and they have a fairly tight recipe they work from, there will always be some variation and they simply cannot guarantee a bread bowl will be X calories every single time. If they are realistic and do it in good faith, using the FDA provided nutritional values for ALL of the ingredients in the product, they should be covered.

Let me know what you think...

DL

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I forgot to mention, and I don't want anyone to think I don't realize it's still a big deal...I totally understand that it's a headache and a cost for the sellers to have to both look up the nutritional information for their products and in some cases print out and make signs/laminate/weatherproof, etc. those signs for long term use. I totall get that. I was just trying to think of a way for them to stay in business at all. :)

--DL

A lot of these folks are on a shoe string anyway.....it could be the straw and the camels back thing.....

A lot of the older crowd in my AO set up in season and sell the surplus garden harvest.....that would go by the wayside.

ladyhk13
01-28-2013, 09:05 PM

Ok, that could be done but on the realistic side how many people - communities do you think will actually be able to do that? With the demand for testing do you think that labs are going to give discounts to these little co-ops? I think not. The cost of doing business still may not be enough for many of these smaller mom and pop places/co-ops to stay open or be created in order to make any kind of profit. Regulation would make it just not worth the small profit they could get.

Using FDA provided nutritional values is not an option. Lab testing is required. After everything is tested the first time those costs will come down again but the initial cost could be too much for many small companies to absorb or they will have to raise their prices and pass it along to their customers where we as consumers would have to bear the brunt of it.

I don't know how this will affect farmers markets but I know the gov't tries to stop people from selling their milk to people who want it. Will eggs come next? I have no idea. I just wonder how this will affect our grocery stores especially the smaller ones and will we be able to still buy many of the items we are buying now. Will that change how we prep our food storage since the camel's nose is coming under the tent I am asking myself how long will it be before the rest of his body is in the tent? Personally I think I am going to beef up food storage some more while costs are still affordable...prices have gone up a lot since last year and I think with this they will do nothing but continue to rise where many people will not be able to buy what they can now.

Sniper-T
01-29-2013, 02:12 PM
How are they going to police this? Are they going to create the "Caloric Enforcement Agency"? Will the CEA then travel around the country stopping in at grocery stores, and markets ticketing people who don't follow the rules?

What about the Farmers? are there going to be CEA agents watching them? The farmer who sells on the side of the road, is he going to have to have a Calorie sticker on each pumpkin cob of corn and strawberry? Will stores just stop accepting foods from farmers that do not have caloric information? will the onus switch to the farmer to provide the information prior to market?

What about the butcher? Maybe ranchers should just tattoo their animals with their calorie counts?

Echo2
01-29-2013, 03:17 PM
How are they going to police this? Are they going to create the "Caloric Enforcement Agency"? Will the CEA then travel around the country stopping in at grocery stores, and markets ticketing people who don't follow the rules?

What about the Farmers? are there going to be CEA agents watching them? The farmer who sells on the side of the road, is he going to have to have a Calorie sticker on each pumpkin cob of corn and strawberry? Will stores just stop accepting foods from farmers that do not have caloric information? will the onus switch to the farmer to provide the information prior to market?

What about the butcher? Maybe ranchers should just tattoo their animals with their calorie counts?

If it becomes criminal.....jail time and confiscation of property will make it profitable to them.

The more farms the can confiscate.....the more control of food they will have....and with the stomach....the hearts and minds will follow.

helomech
01-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Simple solution, label everything not for human consumption. It is illegal for me to sell eggs without a license, so I don't sell eggs, but I do sell egg cartons. It is also illegal to sell tilapia so I don't sell tilapia, get the picture yet? I have also started buying fish antibiotics for use in an emergency, it is labeled not for human use, but it is the exact same pill my pharmacy charges me 10X the price for.

ladyhk13
01-30-2013, 12:47 AM
That's how people get raw milk here, it's labled not for human consumption. Eggs are still ok as far as I know. None of these things (milk, eggs, cheese, meat, chicken, etc.) can be sold to the local store without proper regulation. Some places are requiring people to have a license to panhandle so they can surely regulate farmers markets and roadside stands.
I think that many people will be looking at growing more of their own foods to offset the higher costs and the lowering of items available.

DarkLight
01-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Again, one of the reasons we finally plopped down the (just shy of) 3k for a fence. Being able to let the pooch poop without taking him for a walk will be nice but being able to set up any number of raised beds without having to ask for permission and growing our own food will be worth it.

Grumpy Old Man
01-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Well we had to pass it to see what's in it. (Sarcasm off now) I predict that an even bigger underground economy will soon emerge.

bacpacker
01-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Well we had to pass it to see what's in it. (Sarcasm off now) I predict that an even bigger underground economy will soon emerge.

The sooner the better in my mind.

Echo2
01-30-2013, 04:54 PM
The sooner the better in my mind.

Hear here!!!

DarkLight
01-30-2013, 05:39 PM
<rant on> With the economy NOT getting any better, if you have a business and someone WANTS to pay you money to do something; nay they go out of their way to FIND YOU to pay you to do something, why is it so difficult to have them actually do the work? The fence guy didn't show up today to run the stringers...

If the work isn't completed tomorrow he doesn't get the rest of the money. That's what the written contract that he and I both signed yesterday states and I will be...<count to ten>...<count to ten again...I will be holding him to that. I paid him 50% yesterday, at the beginning of the deal, per the contract. He holds up his end or he doesn't get paid. I'm getting pissed now.
</rant off>

Sniper-T
01-30-2013, 05:45 PM
<soothing voice on> Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean... </soothing voice off>

DarkLight
01-30-2013, 06:02 PM
<soothing voice on> Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean... </soothing voice off>

*#&@ that, I can't swim!

Sniper-T
01-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Screw swimming... Have a seat:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/HOMERCHAIR_zps3aba48f5.jpg

beer?

DarkLight
01-30-2013, 08:03 PM
:) ok, you win.

BTW he finally showed up at 2:15. I'm wondering if he's somewhere on this board and reading my posts and went "Oh fushnizzle!" and hustled his butt over to the house...

Things that make you go hmmmm.:confused: