PDA

View Full Version : If you won the lottery and your spouse said go ahead...What prep gear would you buy?

Metrocruiser
01-28-2013, 05:53 AM
Lets give it a $500K cap.

Metrocruiser
01-28-2013, 06:01 AM
I would buy a BOL, soup it up a bit and build a custom bov

mitunnelrat
01-28-2013, 08:32 AM
These days I'd like to think I'd pay out the first 20% to God and my Roth IRA... So I'm down to $400,000 right there.

Subtract another $10,000 as an emergency fund. I'd put that in a money market fund so its accessible, but not immediately so, which means I won't be as likely to make impulse buys with it. I'm now down to $390,000

Next up would be debt elimination. $390,000 - $15,000 (exaggerated to keep the numbers even) = $375,000

After that I'd talk to prepguide or Echo2 ;)

Echo2
01-28-2013, 10:33 AM
These days I'd like to think I'd pay out the first 20% to God and my Roth IRA... So I'm down to $400,000 right there.

Subtract another $10,000 as an emergency fund. I'd put that in a money market fund so its accessible, but not immediately so, which means I won't be as likely to make impulse buys with it. I'm now down to $390,000

Next up would be debt elimination. $390,000 - $15,000 (exaggerated to keep the numbers even) = $375,000

After that I'd talk to prepguide or Echo2 ;)

:)

Would buy as much land around BOL as possible.

Save $100k for secure block and steel storage building....

izzyscout21
01-28-2013, 12:43 PM
$50K to charity
$10300 for Deuce and tan krylon....... (allowing for repairs and upgrade parts and 300 for my favorite paint)
$10000 for new "old" truck for daily driver bov to replace my civic
$30K "slush" fund"
$20K for a "special project" I have planned

Move in next to LadyHK and RiverRat with the rest

Sniper-T
01-28-2013, 01:00 PM
prob not much would change. pay off the debt, update our vehicles, and put a few pcs of silver away.

Kodiak
01-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Sell the house and buy land more suitable to off the grid living, put some into savings and into the kids college funds. Give to charities/church and to friends and family. A bov would be on the list as well as more guns, ammo and prep supplies.

msomnipotent
01-28-2013, 02:25 PM
That would be just enough money to get an older home in the area I want to live in. It wouldn't leave anything for updating or paying off debts, but the school system is one of the top in the state, each lot is a minimum of 4 acres, and no one has ever heard of the town. Plus, most people have lived there for decades and have mini-farms or horses on their land.

izzyscout21
01-28-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm not putting one damn penny of it in the bank.

bacpacker
01-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Pay off debt and buy BOL location. See whats left from that.

ak474u
01-28-2013, 07:57 PM
120-150k Good piece of land with well and septic + 3 phase power (lots of those here where trailers have been repoed)
30k-ish DIY Barn style cabin and barn
30k DIY Small concrete bunker for storm shelter, secure ammo and food storage
1k Deer feeders
10-15k Small tractor with bucket and assorted implements
1k Rototiller
1k Pens for animals
5k Water tank
1k Dirt for my personal shooting range
?K Year supply of freeze dried food for 5
$300 Pallet jack for my ammo :)
20k Ammo for my pallet jack
10k Polaris ranger
5-10kGood cameras Internet linked for monitoring
10k Bobbed deuce
1k Military trailer
3k Rebuild engine in Daily driver
4k Assorted optics for existing rifles (eyes are getting old)
10k Several new rifles and duplicates of existing + parts
100k ish for future improvements

This all assumes that it's a lottery win, and I have 500k to blow, my wife would bugout on me if this were all there was and I spent it like this. She would however, let me buy some food for her new kitchen and pantry, and maybe a pistol to keep in the cabinet.

Dropy
01-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Add it to what I already have to move to Alaska on. Give 10% to church. Disappear.

Evolver
01-29-2013, 12:35 AM
Pay off our mortgage on this house, rent it out, live off the rent, buy land and build a modest house in it, chickens, goats, pigs, atv and a newer Tahoe. :) 500k would do just fine. :)

Willie51
01-29-2013, 02:30 AM
Give 10% to charity, then buy daughter & grand-boys a house and then invest the remaining $350K in land which would be secondary BOL.

TNDadx4
01-29-2013, 03:17 AM
A really nice, self-sufficient piece of property :)

robsdak
01-29-2013, 06:22 AM
i am seeing hookers,strippers and Jim Beam!!!! :p

ok, back too reality.

a decent BOL (20ac, pay taxes for 20yrs.)out in the forrest, medium sized cabin, solar powered and self sustaining, and all the paracord i could knot in 3 lifetimes. look at an extra engine for the truck(235,000 on a 4 banger) and a dog. i really have no bills. i paid everything off before i got sick. so i might invest in Savage,Ruger,Springfield,Remington (old school) and Federal. and wall paper the bath in $100 bills.

helomech
01-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Pay off land, and tractor and house. Finish the aquaponics system and build me about a 1500 square foot underground home.

Jerry D Young
01-29-2013, 06:39 PM
250k on a semi-self-sufficient BIL w/bunker
75k on 3 minimal BOL 'hunting cabins' w/caches
75k on PMs
100k on a Daily driver/PAW vehicle

Just my opinion.

cwconnertx
01-29-2013, 08:40 PM
First I'd finish the vehicle I have been working on for years... and make a few upgrades. Its a 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban with cummins engine. I'd add some tactical enhancements 50k
Pay off house 250k, finish the house upgrades 50k (solar system, insulation, a few luxury items)
From there it gets tough, I need to live near an airport for my job, and I have a serviceable piece of property to bug out to which is 10 acres of family property, so I might really consider
buying the sailboat I've been after, mounting my 50 cal on the front deck and stocking it for taking to the seas... in the meantime before shtf I would take some vacations to tropical islands and
drink a lot of rum on the beach 125k for boat, 25k for rum/vacations

without the mortgage I can spend an extra 2k a month on supplies and new toys

Katrina
01-31-2013, 04:40 AM
Let's see
Pay off mortgage, Da Hubs car. Add solar and wind power to house, extend the front porch, make it a mud room with a closet for our coats. And set up education accounts for grandchildren for their college education, that is AFTER I pay the taxes on the winnings

Grumpy Old Man
01-31-2013, 05:45 AM
This is not meant as an exercise in liberalism, but rather as a thought provoking exercise. What I would do is retire my debt, purchase a plot of land adequate to what I could take care of, secure my retirement and donate to charity.

http://www.katinkahesselink.net/other/tolstoy.html

Matthew 25:35-40

New International Version (NIV)

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me

This is not meant to be preachy, self aggrandizing, condescending or sanctimonious. It is just that as I approach 3 score years,I am more interested in who I can be, rather than what I want to survive. I still want and need a survival retreat; I still want to be secure; but I am more conscious of the needs of others. It may cost me my life with such an attitude, but I will " to thine ownself be true".

- - - Updated - - -

My needs and wants are simple. My children grown. My heart wishes to leave a legacy.

rentprop1
02-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Purchase Costa Rica BOL and hire 10 or so young female house keepers who are on board with the prep lifestyle

Jimmy24
02-02-2013, 06:52 PM
No spouse to give me a go-ahead. No debt. Got BOL. Preps are in good shape already.

Would be "completely off grid".

Would have components to build ammo forever.

Would have backup BOV and BOL.

Enough underground storage to matter.

10% to St Jude.

That's the short list anywho...:cool:

Jimmy

Foulball
02-03-2013, 04:59 AM
Not sure of what I would spend all of it on, but I'd gtfo of california, that's for sure.

spirit
07-01-2013, 04:17 AM
Donate to the renovations of our church, buy a deuce and 1/2, and buy more ammo...oh yea add to my BOL.

Stg1swret
07-01-2013, 01:38 PM
I 'd pay off my remaining debts, and my kids mortgages. 50K to the local Church food bank. That would leave about 250K for whatever I wish. There are a few weapons I want 2 Barret MRADS, finish hardening the house and complete the ability to unplug from the grid. Finish up some special preps I want. I'd then be left with about 125K.Since I'm retired now and have a military pension and social security, I'd be set.

Taz Baby
07-01-2013, 02:58 PM
I would probably die of a heart attack because I wouldn't believe I finally spent a $ for the ticket. But if I survived the shock, First thing I would do is bend to my knees and thank GOD and ask him to guide me as to where and how to spend it. I don't trust myself to spend it wisely.

4suchatimeasthis
07-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Ya know, Taz, one of the best movies of all time, "Waking Ned Divine" is actually about someone who dies from the shock of winning the lotto (and how the towns people conspire to claim the winnings). Of course, it's a cheesy Irish film, I adore it :)

Gunfixr
07-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Pay off the mortgage, buy a BOL and move to it. Rent out my current place.
Some would go to gold or silver investment.
Pay off bills, all I have is medical bills, no cards or personal loans, no vehicle loans.
Might buy a more fuel efficient truck, maybe.
The BOL would be set up right for self-sufficiency.
My Dad has helped us out a lot over the past year or so, he'd get a chunk for sure.