PDA

View Full Version : Prioritizing Your Plan

mitunnelrat
01-29-2013, 07:13 AM
Its been a while since I've discussed this, but figured there's no better time than the present since I'm in the middle of updating and revamping my own plans.

Not only are some of its specifics changing, but also how I look at it over all. I like structure, I like routine, and I like keeping my priorities straight. So, with that in mind, I could use some feedback and constructive criticism to ensure my logic hasn't left me behind...

The overall plan is composed of 12 parts. All are areas I feel need to be addressed to make for well rounded living, let alone prepping. The way I figure it, the rule of 3's can be adopted and expanded to set how each part is prioritized, so it looks like this:

Normal Living -
1. Finances (monthly expenses, debt elimination, savings, spending, and barter plans)
2. Transportation (reliable vehicle, regular upkeep, parts, tools, etc.)
3a. Medical, General Health
4. Networking

3 Minutes -
5. Physical Security (to include, but not limited to SA Development, MA training, defensive driving, weapon procurement and training, maintenance and supply tools equipment, support gear, and NBC)

3 Hours -
6. Shelter.
3b. Medical, Major Trauma Response

3 Days -
3c. Medical, Debilitating Illness Response; General medicine and wound care.
7. Sanitation & Hygiene.
8. Water

3 Weeks -
9. Food.
10. Navigation

3 Months -
11. Communication
12. Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR)

It obviously has some overlap and gets more in depth and specific from here, but the way I'm looking at it, there are various stages of development in skill and materials for the specifics of each part until long term goals are met. To keep it in balance one would simply move down to the next item on the list until "stage one" is complete for all of them, and take it from the top again on stage 2

mitunnelrat
01-29-2013, 07:47 AM
And I already altered it. "Medical, Health" is my #1 now. Finances has been bumped down to #2, Transportation #3.

Echo2
01-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Prioritizing with a list is a good thing...it allows you to make sure that your not neglecting/forgetting about something important.

However, I'm more of a "target of opportunity" preparer.

I keep a solid idea of what is required for day to day living....but often try to take advantage of things that come up expectantly.

Keeping flexibility in your priorities can allow for greater reward in some areas.....yet this may mean some adjustments in "comfort" levels in others.

You just have to weigh the reward vs sacrifice.....in everything you do...:)

Just my $0.02.....YMMV.

mitunnelrat
01-29-2013, 11:03 AM
True, things do come up. I think that's where a contingency fund would fit in well for me though, and I can adjust as needed from there.

prepguide
01-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Looks good to me, I agree with the point about flexibility. Its good to have a plan and a set of goals. We are in the process of revamping some priorities here at the farm as well in light of world/national events.

Echo2
01-29-2013, 12:48 PM
True, things do come up. I think that's where a contingency fund would fit in well for me though, and I can adjust as needed from there.

I keep a fund...I call it my "gun fund".....but use it for what ever raises it head.

The rules I have with using it...

1) A smoking deal that in reality will not show for that $$$ again.(savings must be 40% +/-)

2) I have to be fairly certain I can resale for a profit.(generally 25% or better)

3) Never let "want" override "need".....this is difficult...cause I like toys....:)

4) Will the group reimburse me for the purchase? (We have a standing fund...in which we can be compensated for expenditures for the retreat. Common items are propane tanks, fuel cells, comm equipment, inverters, heater heads, ammo, medical, some foods.....etc.)

It makes a difference when you can move on a good deal. This generally means you have to "carry cash", which dosen't do for some folks. Also, know how to judge condition of goods....dry rot...corrosion...etc.

Echo2
01-29-2013, 12:54 PM
I should note....I have most basic preps covered.

Right now I'm at a point that we are plugging holes and acquiring creature comforts.

What I'm saying is you shouldn't buy a $1000 HAM for $500......if you don't have food.

So having a priority of which preps to focus on.....is a must....if your "beans, bullets, and band aids" aren't covered.

mitunnelrat
01-29-2013, 01:01 PM
I like those rules. They're more thoroughly developed than what I'd come up with so far.

And yeah, thinking back there's been a few times this year I went an unexpected direction. That's why I revise and update my plans. I'd rather be like wet clay than fire hardened brick.

ladyhk13
01-30-2013, 02:12 AM
I always also keep in the back of my mind "if it's a good deal, can I barter it...can I sell it for a profit wshtf...can it be used to better our group?" If I can say yes to any of those I will get it.

Jimmy24
02-02-2013, 06:45 PM
I agree a lot with Echo2. He makes a lot of good points.

It's not a deal if one doesn't need it. Especially if one needs " the beans, bullets and band aids" and they aren't covered, as Echo2 said.

I have been so broke, that if they were selling nuclear submarines for 10 cents, all I could do is run up and down the beach and scream "Oh my god what a deal"...:rolleyes: :p ;)

But if they have a bucket of bullets I can get for a deal, I always manage to fund it.

I think your list is a good start to modify and keep up with your prepping. Keep it up and you will know where you stand at all times.

Good thread.

Jimmy