PDA

View Full Version : Suspect is 'Doomsday Prepper'

Sniper-T
01-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Sniped:

Like there is not already enough bad press about "Prepping" ..

Standoff drags into third day as man holds boy in underground bunker

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/31/us/alabama-child-hostage/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Midland City, Alabama (CNN) -- Somewhere underneath this red Alabama dirt is a little boy.

A kindergartner, snatched from the safety of his school bus by a gunman and stashed in an underground bunker;

A boy who needs daily medication;

A child that this Bible Belt community of 2,300 is praying for.

Many details have been released about the boy's abductor:

How he was supposed to have been in court to face charges that he'd shot at his neighbors over a minor property dispute;

How he boarded a stopped school bus Tuesday and shot dead the bus driver;

How he worked on the bunker in the middle of the night for more than a year.

But as the sun rose again on Midland City on Thursday, many more questions remain:

How deep is the bunker?
Neighbors: Bunker suspect is strange
Boy, 5, held hostage in Alabama
Bus driver shot; students 'in shock'

What's in it beside the man and the boy?

How are they keeping warm when temperatures have dipped into the 30s in the area?

Is the boy safe?

And most importantly, why him?

The driver

The gunman stormed into the school bus Tuesday afternoon and demanded that the driver hand him a child.

The driver, 66-year-old Charles Poland Jr., was a gentle Bible-reading man who could not stand to discipline the children on his bus because it hurt his heart, the Dothan Eagle newspaper reported.

When he refused the demand, police said, the gunman shot him several times as 22 horrified children scrambled for cover.

But the man was able to grab the boy and drag him to his underground bunker.

And the standoff began.

The suspect

Authorities have not released the name of the suspected gunman. But neighbors and news outlets around Midland City identified him as 65-year-old Jimmy Lee Dykes, a Vietnam veteran and a retired truck driver.

Neighbor Jimmy Davis told CNN that Dykes began digging a hole on his property soon after he moved in down the road from him.

Davis, who works a night shift, said Dykes worked on his bunker in the middle of the night -- every other night, between 2 and 3 a.m., for a year and a half.

He was friendly and welcoming and told Davis the hole would be a storm shelter.

But Tim Byrd, chief investigator with the Dale County Sheriff's Office, told the Southern Poverty Law Center's Hatewatch that Dykes had "anti-America" views.

"His friends and his neighbors stated that he did not trust the government, that he was a Vietnam vet, and that he had PTSD," Byrd told the civil rights group. "He was standoffish, didn't socialize or have any contact with anybody. He was a survivalist type."

The court date

On Wednesday, the day before the standoff began, Dykes was supposed to appear in court to answer to charges that he'd shot at Davis during a December argument over the dirt road that separated their homes.

Davis was moving out when his truck -- hauling a trailer -- dug ruts into the dirt speed bump that Dykes had built up across the road.

Dykes "got mad about what he saw" and stood by the side of the road, yelling and cursing, said Davis' mother, Claudia.

He then ran to his van, got a pistol and fired two shots at the truck, the Davises said.

Fortunately, no one was hurt, including Claudia Davis' 6-month-old daughter, who was inside.

The Wednesday court date in nearby Ozark was for menacing, a misdemeanor that carries penalties of up to six months in jail.

Another neighbor, Ronda Wilbur, said Dykes beat her dog to death with a lead pipe and then bragged to her husband about it.

"He made it very clear that any animals or people that came onto his property would be killed," she said.

Wilbur said she complained to animal control authorities and thought that this would stop the behavior.

"He just got increasingly more bizarre," Wilbur said.

The boy

Very little information has been released about the boy.

Police and school officials have said the child is 6, but a state representative in close contact with the family says he is 5 and will turn 6 in two weeks.

One thing is for certain: the kindergartner didn't know Dykes, State Rep. Steve Clouse said.

Through a PVC pipe that extends into the bunker, authorities have pleaded with the suspect to let the boy go -- to no avail.

The man agreed to let police send down coloring books, crayons and the prescription medicine the little boy desperately needs for Asperger's syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

But nothing else has changed.

As the standoff dragged into Thursday morning, the boy's parents were doing their best to hold it together.

They were "holding on by a thread," Clouse said.

The scene

Early Thursday morning, dozens of law enforcement vehicles clogged the dead-end dirt road that leads to Dykes' house. They were from local police, the FBI, even Homeland Security.

Authorities evacuated neighbors. Officials closed schools in three nearby districts for the week.

With little movement, police have been loath to share much with the media.

Authorities called off a planned news conference late Wednesday night, saying there was nothing new to report. Early Thursday morning, Dale County Sheriff Wally Olson gave reporters a similar message, but said officers and volunteers trying to resolve the situation were holding up well.

At an earlier news conference Wednesday, Olson said he had "no reason to believe that the child has been harmed."

A reporter asked what the community could do to help.

"Pray," the sheriff said.

"Pray."

DarkLight
01-31-2013, 02:49 PM
Sniped:

Like there is not already enough bad press about "Prepping" ..

We are attempting to be self-sufficient...this doesn't mesh with the plans of TPTB or those that control the media. It doesn't matter whether or not this guy turns out to be a "prepper" with a fully stocked underground bunker capable of surviving armageddon or not. If they can use it to make "Prepping" look bad, they will, because they are supposed to, because we're not falling in line!

Sniped:

But as the sun rose again on Midland City on Thursday, many more questions remain:

How deep is the bunker?
Neighbors: Bunker suspect is strange
Boy, 5, held hostage in Alabama
Bus driver shot; students 'in shock'

What's in it beside the man and the boy?

How are they keeping warm when temperatures have dipped into the 30s in the area?

Is the boy safe?

And most importantly, why him?

Ummm, someone needs to learn how to count. That's not many more questions, it's five (5) and one of them is assinine if you know anything about basements with a door. If the bunker is underground then the temperature is most likely a pretty constant 40-55 degrees...by default. Yes this guy has some screws loose but the purpose of even a root cellar is to keep fruits and vegetables from FREEZING over the WINTER when the temp drops even LOWER and if he was prepping he would know to have some blankets there. *facepalm* No, I don't expect the MSM to actually look this stuff up.

Sniped:

But Tim Byrd, chief investigator with the Dale County Sheriff's Office, told the Southern Poverty Law Center's Hatewatch that Dykes had "anti-America" views.

"His friends and his neighbors stated that he did not trust the government, that he was a Vietnam vet, and that he had PTSD," Byrd told the civil rights group. "He was standoffish, didn't socialize or have any contact with anybody. He was a survivalist type."

And there it is folks. He didn't trust the government so he had to be anti-America. He was a "survivalist type". Nevermind that he served in Vietnam. Nothing about his record there or his discharge, which was most likely honorable or they would have brought them up so they could have dragged him through the mud some more.

Sniped:

Authorities evacuated neighbors. Officials closed schools in three nearby districts for the week.

With little movement, police have been loath to share much with the media.

Authorities called off a planned news conference late Wednesday night, saying there was nothing new to report. Early Thursday morning, Dale County Sheriff Wally Olson gave reporters a similar message, but said officers and volunteers trying to resolve the situation were holding up well.

At an earlier news conference Wednesday, Olson said he had "no reason to believe that the child has been harmed."

Final thoughts: Wait...what? Officials have closed schools in three nearby DISTRICTS for the WEEK!?!?! BBBBBBBB!!!!! HUH? 20 children were shot dead in their classrooms in NH by a whack job and that didn't happen!

Police aren't sharing much with the media...Good for them! Finally, someone in authority is saying Back the EFF off you damned buzzards! They also called off the press conference because there wasn't any new information and they didn't feel the need to feed the trolls. Yay. Seriously, no snark implied or intended.

Also, kudos to the Police for stating, for the record, that they had "no reason to believe that the child was being harmed." It means that this guy doesn't have a sexual predator rap sheet or anything like that, which I'm really glad to hear. One less thing for the media to glom onto.

ElevenBravo
01-31-2013, 07:32 PM
I read it on my phone today, a shorter article.. "Anti American Ideas" and "Suspicious of the Gov" were mentioned in the same sentence as survivalist.

I had to run out to the bunker and make sure no kids were in it, there for a sec I thought they had zeroed in on *ME*!

Just kidding, I dont have a bunker and I dont kidnap, I have morals and ethics and I love my country, not necessarily the direction the country is taking.

Anywho... Yeah, great... First its Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo making us look like fuktards and then this whack'o... Cant we just be left with the
elusive veil of the unsure?

EB

DarkLight
01-31-2013, 08:58 PM
Anywho... Yeah, great... First its Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo making us look like fuktards and then this whack'o... Cant we just be left with the
elusive veil of the unsure?

EB

EB - No, they can't just leave us alone. We don't fit their mold and, well, the sheep will never be comfortable around the sheepdogs no matter how necessary we prove to be. We just look too much like the wolves.

ElevenBravo
01-31-2013, 11:14 PM
"Dear loyal subjects of the United States, please forgive me for wanting to be a simple citizen, and not a loyal subject."

EB

izzyscout21
02-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Time to ban bunkers.....

Domeguy
02-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Time to ban bunkers.....

Next the media will be calling all root cellars "ASSAULT BUNKERS".

ElevenBravo
02-01-2013, 11:24 PM
"Assault" I think is the new emotional trigger... Assault weapon, assault magazine, assault bunker, assault coffee... WTH... I wish I was closer, I have 1/2 the nerve to rush the bunker and punch this skirt in the throat. Dimwit.

Evolver
02-02-2013, 12:55 AM
Time to ban bunkers.....

Yup the Big O just passed the nO bunker law but he and his mighty staff has many to choose from. :p

ak474u
02-02-2013, 05:04 PM
I hope these Feds aren't just sitting on their asses waiting for that guy to kill that kid. The news says it is a dry stacked cinder block bunker, so hopefully they're tunneling in or something just in case. I really hope the kid makes it, as for the kidnapper, don't care at all.

Stormfeather
02-05-2013, 01:00 AM
I hope these Feds aren't just sitting on their asses waiting for that guy to kill that kid. The news says it is a dry stacked cinder block bunker, so hopefully they're tunneling in or something just in case. I really hope the kid makes it, as for the kidnapper, don't care at all.

Well,no worries about this now. . . FBI decided to end the standoff, bad guy- 0 FBI -1, looks like they took him out without hurting the kid.

Sniper-T
02-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Betting it was the FBI's HRT ( Hostage Rescue Team ) that pulled this off ...

Midland City, Alabama (CNN) -- A 5-year-old child abducted from a school bus six days ago is safe, and his kidnapper is dead, ending a nearly weeklong ordeal for the little boy, his family and a small Alabama town.

The child appeared to be OK when he was freed, law enforcement officials said. The boy was taken to Flowers Hospital in nearby Dothan, Alabama, state trooper Kevin Cook said.

The child -- identified only by his first name, Ethan -- was to be reunited with his mother and grandmother at the hospital, state Sen. Harri Anne Smith said.

The legislator said she was just arriving for an afternoon visit with Ethan's mother when authorities whisked away the mother and her family. Smith said the woman's smile, and the smiles of others, gave away the good news. The two hugged before authorities drove the mother away.

FBI Special Agent in Charge Steve Richardson at the scene said negotiations had broken down with 65-year-old Jimmy Lee Dykes, the child's abductor, and Dykes was "observed holding a gun."

Believing the child to be in imminent danger, an FBI team entered the bunker at 3:12 p.m. CT (4:12 p.m. ET) and rescued the boy, Richardson said, adding that the hostage-taker is dead.

One neighbor said he was outside when he was startled by the sound of an explosion.

"I heard a big boom and then ... I believe I heard rifle shots," said Bryon Martin, who owns a home near the bunker where the boy had been held since Tuesday.

It was a loud noise that "made me jump off the ground," he said.

After the good news spread through the community, travelers on a nearby highway honked their horns as they drove by.

The FBI had borrowed from the U.S. military high-tech detection equipment similar to the technology used to discover homemade bombs in war zones, three Defense Department officials told CNN.

It was unclear whether the equipment, which is not readily available to civilian law enforcement, had been used by the FBI.

One of the defense officials said no members of the military were involved in the rescue. They would have been acting a technical advisers, the official said.

Last Tuesday, police said, Dykes boarded a Dale County school bus and demanded the driver hand over two children.

The driver, Charles Albert Poland Jr., refused, blocking access to the bus's narrow aisle as at least 21 children escaped out of the back emergency door, authorities said.

The gunman killed Poland, then grabbed a kindergartner before barricading himself and the boy inside a nearby bunker he had built.

Smith said Monday that Ethan has siblings, but none of them were on the bus last week.

In the ensuing days, officials said little about what was going on in the bunker or in their strategy, or what -- if anything -- Dykes wanted.

"Based on our discussions with Mr. Dykes, he feels like he has a story that's important to him, although it's very complex," Dale County Sheriff Wally Olson said Monday before the hostage situation ended. He didn't elaborate.

Ethan suffers from Asperger's syndrome and attention deficit disorder, state Rep. Steve Clouse said during the week.

Dykes told authorities that he had blankets and a heater in the bunker, and authorities have previously said the bunker -- built 4 feet underground -- has electricity.

Authorities did not say how they were communicating with Dykes.

Meanwhile, residents and business owners in Midland City put up blue, red and black ribbons in support of the boy and Poland. Blue and red are the local school colors, and black is in honor of the slain bus driver.

The U.S. Navy confirmed Monday that Dykes served in the military from 1964 to 1969.

Naval records list him as an aviation maintenance administrationman third-class who served with units based in California and Atsugi, Japan. The job entails clerical work related to aircraft and aircraft maintenance, according to the Navy's job description.

Neighbors and officials had described Dykes as a survivalist with "anti-government" views.

Even as the hostage situation continued Monday morning, plenty of police were on hand as schools in neighboring Ozark, Alabama, reopened for the first time since the incident began.

Dale County schools remained closed but were to reopen on Tuesday, the district said.

In Ozark, school officials decided to begin strictly enforcing a 15-foot safety zone around school buses required by state law. The law prohibits any unauthorized adults, including parents, from approaching within 15 feet of a school bus stop. If an unauthorized adult gets too close, bus drivers are supposed to close bus doors or drive away, if necessary, school officials said.

FL-Jeeper
02-05-2013, 06:13 PM
I've not read one iota of this guys demands. Don't hostage situations typically have a demand or grievance? Did I miss it?

Willie51
02-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Nope, you didn't miss it. They are very tight lipped about it. The last I heard last night was the idiot kidnapper is still lying inside the bunker where they shot him while they continue their investigation. It was reported they did find some explosives in the bunker.