PDA

View Full Version : -50 today

Dropy
01-31-2013, 02:54 PM
..here in the wind. beautiful day. Day off and I still went out to wal mart and also to the pharmacy. My boss thinks I am nuts because I go outside in neg20 weather in just jeans and tshirt. Atleast I put on my leather jacket today.

Echo2
01-31-2013, 03:45 PM
What did you have in the vehicle for the "just in case" factor?

Domeguy
01-31-2013, 03:53 PM
I am the same way here in TN. People are always saying 'where is your coat?' I sometimes tell them I'm going through the "change", and I'm having a hot flash. :)

bacpacker
01-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Me too. I will wear a rain coat sometimes. But usually the most is just a vest. Of course I've never been in -50 temps either.

Echo2
01-31-2013, 05:06 PM
I too am one of those folks that will either wear a long sleeve tee....if real cold a Carhart hoody.

But come on.....anyone who will spending any amount of time out in sub freezing temps....let alone sub zero.....should know better.

Run into a store.....out to a vehicle is one thing.....but traveling you gotta have your winter kit.

Domeguy
01-31-2013, 05:37 PM
I agree with you on the traveling, and preparing for a break down, but any other time in winter, it's just jeans and a T-shirt.
I don't understand why people dress like they are preparing to climb Mt Everest, when they are just walking to the Walmart front door.
When I ran my Pepsi route in IL, it would get down to zero quite often, and I just got used to it I guess. When I transferred to TN, I would wear shorts and a short sleeve uniform shirt, while the other guys would be wearing long johns, long sleeve shirts and heavy winter coats. They would make fun of me, but at least I was not the one sweating.

Dropy
01-31-2013, 06:12 PM
just around town usually. so I keep the BOB in the truck. If I were to travel I would add a sleeping bag and hoodie. Maybe throw in the heavy carhart coat and bibs.

Willie51
01-31-2013, 09:21 PM
I was wearing shorts and flip flops yesterday......course it was 79 degrees here. :cool:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :o

bacpacker
01-31-2013, 11:32 PM
I was wearing shorts and flip flops yesterday......course it was 79 degrees here. :cool:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :o

Show off!
:)

Twitchy
02-01-2013, 03:36 AM
BP, ill trade you the 79 degree crap for your weather!

msomnipotent
02-01-2013, 05:39 AM
It is 3 degrees right now, as expected because it is winter. But the wind is just So BITTER cold. Weather.com says it is -15 with the wind chill, and I am inclined to agree. It just seems so much colder this time around! I think I am finally getting old, because all I keep saying is, "DAMN!!!! It's cold!!!". I used to like winter, too. So much easier to be too cold compared to being too hot. I think I will cut someone if I get too hot and cranky.

I keep an extra pair of gloves and wool socks in the car during the winter, plus I never leave home without the 3 in 1 parka. I never get around to completely putting in on unless I am filling up the tank, but at least it is there. I also keep extra chapstick (an absolute must for this wind), a pair of sunglasses, and a bunch of those hand warmers, along with the usual stuff. This year I actually started wearing a hat! Like an old lady! I'm so old my head gets cold now!

My family is going to Orlando in 12 days, and the rest of IL can suck it. I just hope that we don't get snowed in before we leave.

Stormfeather
02-01-2013, 09:18 AM
-1 degrees here. . and hating it.

bacpacker
02-01-2013, 10:18 AM
20 here this morning with a 3 degree windchill. Low teens expected tonight.

Sniper-T
02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
-48F here right now with the wind chill.

Crisp!

Willie51
02-01-2013, 04:11 PM
-1 degrees here. . and hating it.

Yeah, our family in Appleton is ready to head down this way for a break. The good part about where we're at is the mild weather. We haven't run the A/C or the furnace in 8 days until last night. It got down to 43, so head to turn on the heat. Cool nights and mild warm days. :)

Echo2
02-01-2013, 04:17 PM
20 here this morning with a 3 degree windchill. Low teens expected tonight.

ditto