PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you are away from ALL of your gear?

2die4
02-03-2013, 03:39 PM
As I sit here at 10,000 feet flying to my destination, It got me thinking. When/If you travel out of state via airplane and have to leave your gear behind, What are your plans for survival when you are away from ALL of your gear? Don't use an easy answer like "Don't travel by plane"

Right now all I can come up with is a basic altoid survival tin with an EDC of flashlight, Folder, and a multi-tool.

Echo2
02-03-2013, 03:43 PM
I would still have my mind.

Can't take a multitool on a plane.

izzyscout21
02-03-2013, 03:45 PM
I lost my mind a long time ago......;)

ak474u
02-03-2013, 07:21 PM
I lost my mind a long time ago......;)

I traded mine for ammo.

prepguide
02-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Mindset is your biggest asset. You could also mail yourself a small to medium size package (USPS Flat Rate box) that is waiting at your destination with a mix of assorted prep items. It you don't need them, mail them back. Just a thought.

izzyscout21
02-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Mindset is your biggest asset. You could also mail yourself a small to medium size package (USPS Flat Rate box) that is waiting at your destination with a mix of assorted prep items. It you don't need them, mail them back. Just a thought.

I've sent myself things to the nearest DHL or UPS store before.

Jimmy24
02-03-2013, 07:57 PM

Exactly what I did back in November. I flew to left coast to see daughters and their families. I packed Mark III in it's Pelican case, with 400 rounds of ammo in different bag.. I carried my BOB on the plane as a carry on. No there was no "stuff" in it, but had the bag... All the "stuff" was packed in baggage. I also have "stuff" at my daughter's place. I ended up packing a USPS flat rate box with food goodies and shipped it. Of course didn't need anything, so when I flew back the day after elections, (crying btw), I just reversed everything.

Now if you fly and want to take ammo, make sure you check your particular air carrier to see what requirements they have, as far as amount, packing etc.

This was about my 24th trip doing it this way.

Jimmy

ak474u
02-03-2013, 09:45 PM
I used to have to mail pepper spray and inventory to myself when I did law enforcement trade shows. Hotels are pretty good about receiving packages in advance of your arrival.

Stormfeather
02-03-2013, 09:53 PM
I ALWAYS fly with a gun and various bugout items. Several reasons for this, First off, flying with a firearm expedites the check in process at the airport, I get to bypass lines of people waiting to check in and get tickets. It also provides peace of mind knowing wherever I am, I always have a firearm with me, be it CCW, or stashed in the hotel room. Its not that hard to build a small bugout bag to include in your luggage. As preppers, why wouldnt you? Just because you are on a plane and not in your backyard, doesnt mean you dont prep for emergencies. I find it outright foolish not to plan ahead. Ive been flying with firearms since way long before 9/11, and the procedures have pretty much stayed the same.

Sniper-T
02-04-2013, 11:42 AM
So what do they do? check it for you, or are you sitting in 26C with your sidearm?

Echo2
02-04-2013, 12:43 PM
So what do they do? check it for you, or are you sitting in 26C with your sidearm?

You cant fly with it on your person....with out some really fun credentials ....but it's not that difficult to do on a domestic flight....check it with TSA.

BTW.....When flying with a gun.....you can get "WARNING: TRACKING DEVICE" Stickers....to put on case.

The case has to be FAA approved.....lockable....cant fly w/ ammo.

Last time...after inspection and locks......I plastic wrapped the entire thing.

ak474u
02-04-2013, 01:34 PM
You cant fly with it on your person....with out some really fun credentials ....but it's not that difficult to do on a domestic flight....check it with TSA.

BTW.....When flying with a gun.....you can get "WARNING: TRACKING DEVICE" Stickers....to put on case.

The case has to be FAA approved.....lockable....cant fly w/ ammo.

Last time...after inspection and locks......I plastic wrapped the entire thing.

I thought ammo had to be in the same case but not loaded in mags or gun.

Echo2
02-04-2013, 01:51 PM
I thought ammo had to be in the same case but not loaded in mags or gun.

When I called the local TSA office at the local airport.....they said no ammo in same container.

This is a Govt agency.....so who knows.....dude sounded like he just busted someone for dope and didn't turn it in.

I FedExed 600 rds of 308 Fed GMM to my buddies home.....I borrowed one of his Glocks for CCW.....brought my own holster.

apssbc
02-04-2013, 02:02 PM
I have no idea about flying with a gun. My honest answer is to not fly anywhere. I absolutely refuse to fly due to the expense, the "gate-raping", and being away from my kit. I drive everywhere, check the gun laws of where Im going and pack a small bug out kit in my luggage. This nation has a wonderful system of expressways that I love to take. However if forced to fly I would check in a bob and firearm per the rules. You can put most things in your checked luggage knives, survival stuff, etc.

I'm going on a cruise here shortly and this will be my second cruise. They are pretty stringent on what you take with you even in your checked luggage. On my last cruise I witnessed a man going through the metal detectors pull out a pocket knife and pass through security. Since I was forced to fly last time I packed my knife in my check in. They confiscated it after a very long argument, I stated that knives with blade of under 4 inches were allowed. They wanted to take mine because it looked scary, it was a KABAR TDI knife. it was one of those evil black assault knives. I argued to the point of shouting with the head of security, finally I gave in so i didn't get kicked off the boat. This time Im going armed with a knife, their rules, the specs of the blade, and a measuring tape. Im also driving so it will be on my person this time.

For the cruise I plan on packing my knife, a small med kit, fire starter, paracord, and some purification tabs. Were going to Mexico so if something crazy happens it'll be an interesting ride.

Sniper-T
02-04-2013, 02:12 PM
I carried my knife on the cruise. when coming back on board, I tossed it in the tray with my other pocket stuff. They didn't once question my, or it

Echo2
02-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Failed to mention....I wont fly anywhere now.....not til the state of the union improves....

It about drove me nuts just going to Emerald Isle 6 hours away by truck.....I took a full field locker and provisions.

helomech
02-04-2013, 02:27 PM
I don't fly because I will go to jail if a TSA agent touches me (unless she is hot). That is why I plan on getting my own airplane in a few years.

rentprop1
02-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Re cruse , just order steak and eggs each morning and keep the steak knife, then when you go ashore in those 3rd world hell holes they call tourist destinations take it and just dump it on the way back to the boat, or tell them it belongs to them, wash it and send it back tomorrow morning........lol

- - - Updated - - -

Re cruse , just order steak and eggs each morning and keep the steak knife, then when you go ashore in those 3rd world hell holes they call tourist destinations take it and just dump it on the way back to the boat, or tell them it belongs to them, wash it and send it back tomorrow morning........lol

apssbc
02-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Yeah I'm not super happy about the Mexico destination. I did St Thomas, St Maarten and Nassau last time. I loved that trip, it was great. I like the steak knife idea, but I will be carrying my pocket knife this time. I guarantee it.

Evolver
02-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Mindset is your biggest asset.

Adapt and conquer. :) What is one man's garbage is another mans three... Weapon, food, shelter.

Stormfeather
02-05-2013, 12:18 AM

I wish I could sit in 26C with my sidearm!

I always pack my ammo along with my firearm. I use a pelican case with locks, which are TSA approved, and pack it all in together. Your best bet is to buy new defensive ammo, so its new in the box, and bring that. The next step, is to print out the TSA regs and have them in with your firearm with pertinent items highlighted for the TSA robots to read. This reduces confusion across the board. Once they inspect the box, they place a tag inside noting it is a inspected firearm, and lock it up. Then they hand you the key, and toss your bag unceremoniously on the baggage carousel just like all the others. The tags themselves dont have any RFID tracing or tracking, as some have claimed on other forums. I know this because Ive dissected the tags before just to check!
Hope this helps!

SF!

2die4
02-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Money's been an issue for awhile so shipping gear is out of the question. To compensate I recon the area I go into. I also plan my trek back to my house. Hospitals, weapons, food,etc. Hitting the areas quick and then disappearing into the night is the plan. I always travel with my Rush 24 so it would be too easy to pack that up.

realist
02-05-2013, 06:35 AM
Stormfeather you are right. If you want to check your firearm you just put it in a lockable container. FYI I put a Glock in a Kimber box with one lock on it. I had the slide off so in the even some one got nervous or did not know what they were doing they could see it would not function. They said I had to have a second lock since they could pry the edges, so I put on a spare lock that I had. Then I just filled out a short form and put a label on the box that said it was unloaded. I carried my mags unloaded in another box with a couple hundred rounds of ammo. You can only bring 11 pound of ammo on the flight. I got to the hotel at 1600 and my luggage took the long way and got there are 0100. BTW the way it was a non stop flight, go figure that one out. On the way back it was even easier. I showed the lady the box with two lock and she said okay and did not even inspect the weapon. Just goes to show you some people just don't give a rats ass about anything.

Jasper
02-11-2013, 12:44 PM
I usually have a bit of kit with me but flying is the toughest. Like others I just try and keep the principles of survival in my mind and like to think I would use what is around me. Look at most survival tales, most of them made do with what they had they didn't have a well stocked pack and gear cache. Always a tough question.

cwconnertx
02-11-2013, 07:18 PM
You CAN fly with the ammo and the gun in checked baggage. The firearm must not be loaded. I just keep the ammo in the original box, I keep a box of ammo for traveling, 9mm hydrashock to be specific, in the 50 round LE packaging. I use a pelican case, locked with two big brass combo locks. Inside I have my multitool, flashlights, and a big plastic covered cable for locking the thing up on arrival. Its really not that hard to check a firearm in most places in the US, but be patient as some places see very few and are a bit clueless.

Other than knives and my firearm, I travel with everything else survival related in my carry on. Here is the list:
PVS14 gen3 night vision monocular
leatherman style ps multiool (no knife, no problem)
short multibit screwdriver
poncho
umbrella
titanium cup
matches
lighter
first aid kit (normal stuff, plus quickclot and antibiotics for my fish and iosat potassium iodide)
One roll silver dimes, 3 morgan silver dollars
10x pocket monocular
streamlight protac 1aa flashlight
nukalert
small roll duct tape
95% ethyl alcohol (3oz or smaller, marked cologne) this is technically not allowed as the proof is too high, but never had an issue in 80,000 miles flown last year
electricians scissors (like a knife, and can be separate with a screw to make two knives, very very sharp)
3 packages MRE peanut butter, 3 packs mixed nuts (plane food is not for me)
space blanket
sechylle water filter straw
deck of mini playing cards

plus my android phone and tablet both loaded with useful information and applications

2die4
02-12-2013, 03:03 AM
Other than knives and my firearm, I travel with everything else survival related in my carry on. Here is the list:
poncho
umbrella
titanium cup
matches
lighter
first aid kit (normal stuff, plus quickclot and antibiotics for my fish and iosat potassium iodide)
10x pocket monocular
nukalert
small roll duct tape
95% ethyl alcohol (3oz or smaller, marked cologne) this is technically not allowed as the proof is too high, but never had an issue in 80,000 miles flown last year
electricians scissors (like a knife, and can be separate with a screw to make two knives, very very sharp)
space blanket

plus my android phone and tablet both loaded with useful information and applications thanks. I like the alcohol idea.

cwconnertx
02-12-2013, 04:58 AM
thanks. I like the alcohol idea.

For medicinal purposes.... actually firestarting, but I carry the drinkable kind because I sometimes use it to warm some food. And if you are crazy you can also drink it

David Armstrong
02-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Like some others, I simply do not fly anymore unless I'm going someplace where that is the only way to get there. But when I did fly I'd pack a few items in the carry-on or carry them on me. Now that the regs have changed I guess I'd toss my Swiss Army knife in the checked bags. And the beauty of having friends in most places rather than mess with checking a gun I'd just have my party provide a handgun for me when I arrived. Overseas I found that cruise ships generally don't get excited about a Swiss Army knife, and those that do use the steak knife trick mentioned earlier. I also suggest making one of your first stops some touristy joint that sells walking sticks, canes, etc. Almost all cultures have some type of big stick they use and you can carry one around all day and just look like a tourist who went shopping for local color.

apssbc
02-15-2013, 01:43 AM
So here's my plans for the cruise ship when I go. My goal was to break everything down very simple and non metallic.

I'm not worried about bringing food as there is plenty on the boat to take with me back to my room.

Water we are bringing a bunch of bottles and I have a 3 l hydration bladder I plan on keeping full. Also I have sanitation tabs and 2 emergency straw type filters.

My Gerber blade will be with me at all times. I've convinced the fiancée and my brother in law to each have one also.

For fire I have a magnesium starter and lighter.

I have my fully stocked first aid kit complete with meds. Also I'm bringing 2 olaes dressings and 2 cats.

I have a GI poncho, two large hd garbage bags, 40' of para cord, hand light, and a knife sharpener.

Ill be carrying everything in my Blackhawk pack especially while on Mexican soil. On the boat it'll be by the door ready to go stocked with food from the ship.

The fiancée and I have also discussed what to do if we loose power and what not so we have plans on the books for that. In Mexico ill have my pack and all my gear. My valuables and wallet will be on the pack to make it harder for anyone to get to. My very sharp blade will be ready cause even though its a nice area I don't want to risk anything. I will be alert at all times.

helomech
02-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Ill be carrying everything in my Blackhawk pack especially while on Mexican soil. My very sharp blade will be ready cause even though its a nice area I don't want to risk anything. I will be alert at all times.

http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/tijuana/warning.html

If you carry a knife on your person in Mexico, even a pocketknife . . .

You may be arrested and charged with possession of a deadly weapon;
You may spend weeks in jail waiting for trial, and tens of thousands of dollars in attorney’s fees, court costs, and fines;
If convicted, you may be sentenced to up to five years in a Mexican prison.

Sniper-T
02-15-2013, 01:44 PM
you're not going on the Triumph are ya?

2die4
02-15-2013, 02:54 PM
http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/tijuana/warning.html

If you carry a knife on your person in Mexico, even a pocketknife . . .

You may be arrested and charged with possession of a deadly weapon;
You may spend weeks in jail waiting for trial, and tens of thousands of dollars in attorney’s fees, court costs, and fines;
If convicted, you may be sentenced to up to five years in a Mexican prison.
This is true. Your best bet is to stay in the designated safe tourist zones. You know you're on edge when the town gets less fancy(paint peeling, cars on blocks, etc). Also don't go off to see other "shows" that involve animals and women who should have been hugged more by their fathers growing up.

Sniper-T
02-15-2013, 03:14 PM
So for those who take their gear with, and check it on the plane, you are still without your gear. You are hoping that they put your checked baggage on the right plane, and that it gets off with you. And everyone knows that airlines ‘lose’ luggage a lot more often than they would like to admit!

So to reiterate the ops question, you’ve landed at your destination, and you have your carry-on… but your luggage didn’t make it. So, no gun, no multi tool, no knife, etc., what do you do?

apssbc
02-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Well balls, maybe Ill rethink bringing the knife with me. That really sucks, guess Ill have to be more observant and be ready to go hands on. I dont want to spend time in any Mexican prison.

If I had nothing with me and am completely separated from my kit I will have to improvise. Scavenging anything that may be of use from garbage bags and metal containers, to sharp pieces of metal and sticks. Who knows that is where knowledge and the ability to adjust to situations will play into everything. I am not worried about being away from my stuff since there is so much out there that can be used for survival purposes.

mitunnelrat
02-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Maybe just carry a big stick in the form of a walking cane... If anyone questions it you can show them your gnarly scar and insinuate your leg sometimes gives out at inopportune moments :D

Jimmy24
02-15-2013, 08:34 PM
I wish I could sit in 26C with my sidearm!

I always pack my ammo along with my firearm. I use a pelican case with locks, which are TSA approved, and pack it all in together. Your best bet is to buy new defensive ammo, so its new in the box, and bring that. The next step, is to print out the TSA regs and have them in with your firearm with pertinent items highlighted for the TSA robots to read. This reduces confusion across the board. Once they inspect the box, they place a tag inside noting it is a inspected firearm, and lock it up. Then they hand you the key, and toss your bag unceremoniously on the baggage carousel just like all the others. The tags themselves dont have any RFID tracing or tracking, as some have claimed on other forums. I know this because Ive dissected the tags before just to check!
Hope this helps!

SF!

We must be reading minds...lol...that's exactly what I do. The guber boys need something to read. Pelican case is the only way to go. I only check one bag, so ammo stays in factory packing and gun in case. Never had a problem so far. Been doing this pretty much since '94 or '95.

Jimmy

- - - Updated - - -

I buy a large newspaper and a couple of magazines. The paper gets a short read and then rolled into a tight roll. The clear wire ties are never seen. The mags are to ward off and box cutter etc...the rolled paper will get someones attention....

Jimmy

Evolver
02-15-2013, 11:22 PM
A good key chain is always nice to have... http://www.shtfready.com/threads/2760-Robsdak-Keychain-Lanyards

how i see things "anything is possible, impractical maybe, but still possible".

yes, but you might be happier with one made from paracord. i have 3/4",1" in steel and a few glass in 1".

something like this?
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo102/robsdak/Paracord/3-3-10027.jpg

Sniper-T
02-16-2013, 01:59 AM
that's cool, my bud. but unless people are affluent in hand to hand with a weapon... really? Seriously, I can kill threats with a toothpick, but can most? can you? would you?

remember, the Q from the op is that you have nothing, what do/can you do?

rentprop1
02-16-2013, 08:12 AM
got a flashlight , one of the biggest things people from the Triumph said was they wished they had a personal flashlight

Sniper-T
02-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Never needed it, but I had one with me on the cruise too.

Stormfeather
02-17-2013, 03:31 PM
So for those who take their gear with, and check it on the plane, you are still without your gear. You are hoping that they put your checked baggage on the right plane, and that it gets off with you. And everyone knows that airlines ‘lose’ luggage a lot more often than they would like to admit!

So to reiterate the ops question, you’ve landed at your destination, and you have your carry-on… but your luggage didn’t make it. So, no gun, no multi tool, no knife, etc., what do you do?

Well, as Ive said before, the biggest most adaptable weapon I have at my disposal is my mind. I know to think outside of the box, and to use life experiences, to gain what I will need to survive. Be it weapons, vehicles, food, water or any combination thereof. When it comes to survival of me and mine, Im willing to pull out all the stops. A person can stop at any local restaurant and get a knife if there's no walmart/sporting goods/hardware store. Once at that point, you can acquire a firearm just by going down to the local ghetto. While this may not work for some due to ethnic profiling, myself, as a "culturally diverse" individual, I have a tendency to be able to fit into any neighborhood any with the proper application of local language and attitude. Now, this approach is not recommended for everyone, especially if you haven't spent some time in a extremely low income neighborhood. But if you have, then you know how easy it is to procure a firearm. From that point, Its to the local bank to withdraw any cash funds left in the accounts, then E&E plan goes into action.

rentprop1
02-18-2013, 08:00 AM

here is a post I did a while back about flying with a GHB

http://www.shtfready.com/threads/1363-Flying-with-GHB-or-small-Emergency-kit

cwconnertx
02-19-2013, 01:52 AM
You CAN fly with the ammo and the gun in checked baggage. The firearm must not be loaded. I just keep the ammo in the original box, I keep a box of ammo for traveling, 9mm hydrashock to be specific, in the 50 round LE packaging. I use a pelican case, locked with two big brass combo locks. Inside I have my multitool, flashlights, and a big plastic covered cable for locking the thing up on arrival. Its really not that hard to check a firearm in most places in the US, but be patient as some places see very few and are a bit clueless.

Other than knives and my firearm, I travel with everything else survival related in my carry on . Here is the list:
poncho
umbrella
titanium cup
matches
lighter
10x pocket monocular
nukalert
small roll duct tape
space blanket

plus my android phone and tablet both loaded with useful information and applications

There may be some confusion, other than knife, leatherman surge multitool, and my firearms the list is what I carry on with me, I suggest everyone do the same.

If its not on you, you don't have it. I realize I might arrive without the knives, gun, and multitool, which I why I carry a separate knifeless multitool and scissors on board. But I am getting there with ample tools and a head full of knowledge to use them.

Sniper-T
02-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Every single time I fly, they confiscate my lighter (I have matches as backup). And on the last trip flying home from Miami, they took away my multi-tool. even though there was no knife on it.

:(

cwconnertx
02-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Every single time I fly, they confiscate my lighter (I have matches as backup). And on the last trip flying home from Miami, they took away my multi-tool. even though there was no knife on it.

:(

the multitool must be under 7 inches open, this applies to screwdrivers and pliers even, all tools

I flew 85000 miles last year and had a lighter and leatherman every time. ask for the manager if they give trouble. never had anything taken away, got plenty of friendly conversations about the pvs14 and silver though. in case of emergency is my answer.

rentprop1
02-23-2013, 08:43 AM
I lost a el-cheap-o Stanley multi-tool last month in PIT, it was one of those $ 10 stocking stuffer gifts that I didn't expect to last too long, glad it wasn't a more expensive one, IMHO its almost not worth the risk to loose a good one with the power hungry TSA goons