PDA

View Full Version : Gear Review: Midland AVPH3 VOX Headset

FL-Jeeper
02-03-2013, 05:54 PM
As promised, here's my review and initial perspectives on the Midland AVPH3 VOX headset.

I wanted to enhance the household coms that consisted of four Midland LXT385's. While the radios themselves have great range (advertised 24 miles) and voice clarity, depending on the venue, it could be hard to hear the transmission even with the volume at max, without mashing the handheld to your ear. I reckon it's called a crappy speaker... For a trek through the woods, this was not an issue but if there was a crowd or other overbearing background noise, it could be difficult to communicate effectively. For the times that fell in the middle, the radios performed as required but they were lacking that extra little bit.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/rock_scott/IMG_20130203_125610_zps716392e3.jpg

Enter one pair of AVPH3 Security Headsets. I picked up the pair at a local Gander Mtn for around $30 and while I have not yet had the opportunity to put them to use in practical application, I have had a chance to test them out a bit. For a $15 headset, I am pretty impressed.

Build quality appears ok. Not sure how well they will hold up to repeated sweat soakings and such "real world use" but the rubberized switch is firm and will hopefully withstand repeated depressings. The headsets support VOX, but my radios do not. There is a metal clip on the mic and it does a great job of securing the mic to your lapel or collar. There's a plastic clip on the cord as well but it sucks and falls off. I have been attaching it to the tag on the back of my shirt to keep the cord up & out of the way & intend on replacing it with a metal clip.

The microphone is phenomenal. With the mic attached to a t-shirt collar, voice pickup is perfect. They will pick up a whisper if depressed to the throat. I had debated picking up the inducting type headsets but they were much nigher priced & the reviews were all over the place unless you spent several hundred dollars, which is not in my budget. Anyhow, the mic pickup is awesome. All that said, I do not know how sensitive the VOX capability is in regard to picking up a whisper.

Noise transmission of the earpiece is perfect while minimally inhibiting hearing in the worn ear. The clear plastic tube allows external noise in while piping the radio transmission directly into the ear canal. The earpiece is soft & comfortable after hours of wear. I can hardly tell it is there and that is saying something. I hate most earpieces that you stick into your ear as they typically hurt after an hour or so. Not so with these.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/rock_scott/IMG_20130203_125646_zps06297b38.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/rock_scott/IMG_20130203_125634_zpse279dc69.jpg

Overall, I feel I have successfully addressed a specific need with minimal expense. We'll see how long they last. ;)

izzyscout21
02-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Good review. Have you had a chance to stretch the range out on the radios themselves yet?

FL-Jeeper
02-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Haven't had a chance to really stretch em out but I've got better than 5 miles out of them in a wooded area with rolling hills. Most everything I'm using them for involves several hundred yards to a mile or two at most.

bacpacker
02-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the nice review. I have looked at them but wasn't sure how good they would work and didn't want to take the chance. Think I'll have to get us a set now.

I haven't tried our radio's past about a mile outside of a vehicle. While in the car a mile or a little more is the most we've been successful with.

FL-Jeeper
02-04-2013, 01:25 AM
Yeah transmission from the interior of an automobile with these radios sucks but I typically use a CB for that. The primary role of the handhelds are for while being on foot be it running around the campground, on a hiking trail, or large event coordination/execution.

Echo2
02-04-2013, 03:06 AM
We bought a 4 pk of these...they worked well for the first few times we used them.

3 of them are still working properly....one of them was in the rain extensively, and stopped working all together.....and a couple of the others worked intermittently until they dried out.

I'm not sure if they are the exact same model number....this was about 3 years ago.

For the price....I would say they were a good deal....I would just refrain from using them in a down pour.

We did also loose a radio that day too....:(

Willie51
02-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Jeeper, great info. I have the GXT 1000 radios (pair) that I picked up at GM a couple of years ago. The headsets that came with mine do bother your ears after awhile wearing them, so next time I'm at Gander, I will pick up a pair of the AVP-H3 headsets. I was looking at them, but wasn't sure if they were worth the money, so now I know....thanks bud. :)