PDA

View Full Version : a basic review of the Twizy Electric vehicle that i rented over in England

hank2222
02-05-2013, 05:06 PM
I just got back from beening in London and other places around the London for my job for my company and i rented what is called a Renault Twizy electric vehicle and it got me thinking about the whole useage of the socalled short driving habits we have here in the states .Most people do not drive more than 20 miles round trip a day and it one person in the vehicle driving it .

The biggest thing i notice about was how quiet it was when driving in town with it and it seam to catch people by surprize when i came up on them or turn a corner and they where there .The whole thing it make a great low speed around the town type partol vehicle for a night watchmen to partol a area .

The vehicle was a breeze to drive and it was a little stange at first not to hear a engine sound from the vehicle .Also i found out it will do a socalled backcountry english road without a problem from the store at night to the place i was staying at the time.

My vehicle came with installed windows that where made by a french company and it did keep the cold weather out .I did get a little cold a couple of time's but it was more of my fault by not latching the sliding window secton down for travel and that where the cold air came in from .

The vehicle had a range of about 55 miles total on a single charge and it took about three hours to recharge the battery .They also have solar power charging stations along with the electric vehicle solarcharge set up there in the area .I drove on avg about 15.miles round trip each day i was there and never more than 20.miles total in the whole time i was there .

It will do about 50.miles a hour top speed but most of the time i was at 30.miles a hour and that was speeding on some of the roads i drove on .most of the time it was on a socalled two lane road that was about 10.ft wide it seam to me and it was stange to have move over just a little bit to have a person pass you coming down the other side of the road

The vehicle use a standard 220.volt type dryer plug in socket and the cord and plug in goes back into front of the vehicle storage pocket .Charge time is around 3.hours total and i would plug it in and it would charge during the time i was in the building working or at the bed and breakfast place i was staying at .

It does ride a little rough compared to a regular vehicle but the one thing i did like about the vehicle i paid no socalled tax on the vehicle because of it beening a green vehicle .

but if it does come here i'm thinking about buying one for it a neat set up to drive in and around the city and countryside driving i did there

Sniper-T
02-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Sounds interesting. pics?

helomech
02-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Sounds fine for city folks, but for us that live outside the city it would not work.

Taz Baby
02-05-2013, 05:38 PM
kinda sounds like a golf cart. Yes please pics.

hank2222
02-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Try the Renault website and look under the Electric vehicles section or go to the youtube and look under the Renault Twizy videos it will come up

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds fine for city folks, but for us that live outside the city it would not work.My last week in England i was out in the country side working and it did great out there without much of a single problem driving to and from the B&B i stayed at .

Most of the driving i did was into and out of the town where the new store was going in to the B&B hotel and it was on winding two lane socalled country road that they call the backroads over there

helomech
02-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Try the Renault website and look under the Electric vehicles section or go to the youtube and look under the Renault Twizy videos it will come up

- - - Updated - - -

My last week in England i was out in the country side working and it did great out there without much of a single problem driving to and from the B&B i stayed at .

Most of the driving i did was into and out of the town where the new store was going in to the B&B hotel and it was on winding two lane socalled country road that they call the backroads over there

I kind of doubt country side in England is similar to east Texas. It is a 30 mile drive one way into town from my house after you get on concrete roads, it is another 5 miles of muddy dirt roads to the concrete roads. When it rains the only way to my house is with a 4X4.

ElevenBravo
02-05-2013, 07:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/results?q=Renault+Twizy&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=w1

Cool Robocop looking thing, it is...

Ive got a soft spot in my heart of electric vehicles, Ive often dreamed of converting an old Chevette!!

EB

bacpacker
02-05-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat as Helo. I'm no where near as far out in the country (don't I wish), but i drive about 65 miles round trip to work. Even if I could charge there, I'd still be getting low by the time a one way trip was over.

Good idea, but just won't work for me.

helomech
02-05-2013, 08:49 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat as Helo. I'm no where near as far out in the country (don't I wish), but i drive about 65 miles round trip to work. Even if I could charge there, I'd still be getting low by the time a one way trip was over.

Good idea, but just won't work for me.

My drive to work is 170 miles one way. Luckily I only do it 4 times a month.

hank2222
02-05-2013, 10:19 PM
I kind of doubt country side in England is similar to east Texas. It is a 30 mile drive one way into town from my house after you get on concrete roads, it is another 5 miles of muddy dirt roads to the concrete roads. When it rains the only way to my house is with a 4X4.

That true but for my personal needs there in England it was prefect for the driving that i did there .Most of the socalled little villages or towns there where not that far apart in the area i was in .most of them could be reached by the train into and out of London or by bus service there .

I drove the car there to the town i was staying in and it was broken down into two stops for recharging the vehicle from the local electric vehicle charging station .

Sniper-T
02-06-2013, 11:52 AM
I wish they'd come out with an electric truck. be nice to have a little payload. I am over 120 mi. round trip, so it wouldn't work for me, but if I was still in the city, I'd consider one.