PDA

View Full Version : Do you drink water or do you have to make yourself?

Taz Baby
02-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Well I saw a recipe on how to make water look and taste good and it got me thinking. How many people are there who don't drink enough water like they should. Our bodies need just plain ole water to work properly and I for one hate the taste of it. Whether it be tap water or bottled water it all taste nasty to me. I can smell and taste the chemicals in it. The only water that I will drink is out of a free flowing creek or from a spring. Even when I buy what they say is real spring water from the store, I can still taste something in there. I have smelled bleach, fluoride, and something that smells like the filling the dentist uses. It smells like the metal on a pencil eraser. I know I have to force myself to drink water and get away from drinking so much tea. Boy I really like my tea's. I don't drink soda and only about 3 to 4 cups of coffee in the mornings but I do drink tea. So I found this link about How to make Naturally Flavored Water and wanted to share it. How many of you are out there who are just like me and have to get use to drinking water? Because if you don't start now when SHTF comes that might be all you have to drink. There is always water even when you don't see it. Here is the link:::: and some copied info.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/yummy_uploads/blog/4692.jpg

Say goodbye to soda, juice, and bottled water with these refreshing, healthy flavors! I'm keeping 2-3 flavors of this "spa water" in my fridge now, so I have a variety to motivate me to drink more water.

I was a hardcore Dr. Pepper girl for years. Then I gave up regular soda because of the high sugar content and switched to diet soda. Next we were warned to avoid the chemicals in diet soda; and more recently studies have indicated that diet soda actually causes rather than prevents weight gain (source). Geez. Lots of us moved on to bottled water, but that has landfill and environmental consequences and can be less healthy than regular tap water (source). Juice has more nutrition than soda, but is comparable in sugar, carb, and calorie content (source). Dang. It's hard to keep up.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/yummy_uploads/blog/4688.jpg

http://www.theyummylife.com/Flavored_Water

Echo2
02-07-2013, 07:00 PM
I drink at least 4 32oz cups of water daily.....not inclusive of any coffee or tea.....in the winter

Summer will be dictated by actvity....but at the minimum I'd say 1.25 gallons.

bacpacker
02-07-2013, 10:09 PM
I drink a lot of water, close to a gallon a day all year. Sometimes a lot more in the summer when I'm out sweating a lot. I have a glass of tea for dinner some nights and a gatorade type drink some in hot weather.

Otherwise, some milk, an occasional Mtn Dew, or some juice from time to time. I have been using some drink mixes for some of the water I drink just to flavor it. Always avoid anything with Aspertame or the sugar substitues.

ladyhk13
02-08-2013, 07:43 AM
These are awesome. I might have to buy a filter. It would save on the bottled water that I buy all the time! Thanks Taz...great find!

bacpacker
02-08-2013, 12:16 PM
I am going to look into the drink mixes you posted up Taz. They just look good.

The water purifiers do a great job. We went with a Berky model and they take out most everything. I usually keep a half gallon or more in the fridge. I like my water cold.

Stormfeather
02-08-2013, 07:53 PM
I drink alot of water, and so do the kids. Ive weaned the kids off of store bought juices and went with the water. With them it was easy, I just fill up juice jugs with Mio water enhancer or the wal mart generic Great Value brand, and they love it too! It comes in multiple flavors, and is cheaper than juices.

Evolver
02-09-2013, 01:10 AM
Yup Taz you need filtered water and it sounds like a charcoal filter is the one for you if you ever run into the situation that you don't have lemon, lime, tea or the such to add to it. Filters with Charcoal are the bomb!!! The charcoal eliminates the things that tastes or smells. (Wink)

bacpacker
02-09-2013, 01:21 AM
Stormy, I use a lot of the great value mixes, along with Kroger's brand, but you really need to check ingrediants in them. Quite a few are loaded with not so good stuff for you.

If anyone has a Trader Joe's near them, they have some good mixes that are pretty natural. They taste great.

Willie51
02-09-2013, 01:58 AM
I am going to look into the drink mixes you posted up Taz. They just look good.

The water purifiers do a great job. We went with a Berky model and they take out most everything. I usually keep a half gallon or more in the fridge. I like my water cold.

We drink a lot of water and our kids were raised on water as the drink of choice. We use our Big Berkey religiously and the water tastes sooo good and even use the filtered water when making coffee, tea, or even cooking or boiling noodles. We like our water cold too and avoid using many of the water flavorings because of the aspertame. Food actually taste better when drinking water with the meal. Still like a soft drink now and then though. We DO NOT buy bottled water.

Taz Baby
02-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Our spring water is filtered with the Berky. That is the only water I will drink. It is always cold. 3 months ago we had our spring water tested straight out of the rock and then out of the filtered water. The water out of the rock has a faint trace of salmonella in it, so we have to find where and fix it. The filtered water had nothing in it but water. But now that we are living in town we have to rely on tap (which we filter)or bought water. We can't bring our spring water in because we are way to busy with other things going on. I made one of these waters and I am drinking it all the time now. But I made my own flavor. I put a frozen fruit mix called berry mix (into a 32oz. jug) which has Blueberry, pomegranate, blackberry,raspberry, then strawberry, 1/2 a lemon and lime and pineapple, 5 drops of Stevia. I mashed all the fruit and added the water and stevia, let it set over night. The next day I drank all of it before noon and had to fill it back up with water. I didn't add anything to it and that lasted until that evening. Go to the grocery store and in the freezer section find the fruit that is for smoothies. They have a very large selection of flavors. Just check the ingredients for added sugars and stuff. I buy the Dole kind because they do not add anything to it but the fruit. Use your imagination and concoct your own flavor and let us know about it. Garden time is just around the corner and if you can't grow it you can get it from a farmers market. Try hard not to buy your fruits and veggies from the grocery store because it has been forced processed and who knows what else has been done to it. Plus us farmers have to stick together and when buying from someone who grows it, you are helping the fellow farmer.Better chance of not getting chemicals and poisons. Since we will not being growing anything this year I have to rely on our wonderful farmers market, and even in this winter weather I can still get fresh tomatoes from there. There are a few greenhouse farms close by.

rentprop1
02-11-2013, 01:26 AM
last summer I worked in an non-air conditioned warehouse ...up and down steps to the second floor, temps were 95-100 + with maybe 90 % humidity, not only would I drink 1.5 gals of water each day and sweat like a pig ( usually 3 shirts a day ) but sometimes I would only pee once and usually after dinner that night

prepguide
02-11-2013, 03:49 AM
Since being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes almost two years ago I have greatly increased my consumption of water and it has really helped in a number of ways. I try to drink six to eight large glasses of water per day at a minimum and honestly I feel better than I used to. Of course no longer pounding down eight - ten soda's a week does nothing but help also.

ladyhk13
02-11-2013, 04:45 AM
Prepguide...you would be a good one for us to experiment on with Chia seeds to see how it affects your diabetes. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

mitunnelrat
02-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Chia... the new epi for you?

robsdak
02-15-2013, 02:26 AM
i used to drink water by the gallon, summer was a little more due to the heat. now that the Dr. has me on fluid restriction, i get maybe 3 16oz bottles a day. a soda every now and then and sweet tea when i go out to eat. but i was never really picky on what i would drink, bottled,tap,spring. the Dasani water makes me sick to my stomach though, no clue why?

Taz Baby
02-15-2013, 02:46 AM
i used to drink water by the gallon, summer was a little more due to the heat. now that the Dr. has me on fluid restriction, i get maybe 3 16oz bottles a day. a soda every now and then and sweet tea when i go out to eat. but i was never really picky on what i would drink, bottled,tap,spring. the Dasani water makes me sick to my stomach though, no clue why?

Here ya go Rob, maybe this is why yoou get sick drinking that water.
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0304-04.htm

Sniper-T
02-15-2013, 03:22 PM
I hate water! I have to force myself to drink it, an even at that if I have a glass a week, I am doing good! Most of my liquid comes in the form of coffee, milk, or pop (I know :( ). Come SHTF, I will be mostly ok for a year or so, that’s when the coffee will run out and the milk powders. Guess then I will learn to ‘like’ water. Hopefully I will have enough rolaids/tums for the heartburn it causes.

mitunnelrat
02-15-2013, 05:19 PM
I've been going in spurts. I'm more than happy to drink a gallon or more a day when I'm on top of things, but I'm currently off the wagon and enjoying too much Pepsi at the moment.

I

4suchatimeasthis
02-15-2013, 05:40 PM
I religiously drink hot water every morning, filtered through some ground coffee beans ;) . Besides that, I drink a fair bit of herbal tea and crystal light. However, I'm an odd duck in that I always water down my mixes, at least by 50%. Otherwise it's just too strong. Not a big milk drinker, except in the occasional bowl of cereal, but I'm not a big fan of cold cereal either, lol. The only time I prefer plain water is after working out, or on a super hot day, and then it's ice cold water, straight from the tap. We have a good well, that makes a big difference. Some places I can't stand the water. Like, in town. Yuck! I used to have to filter the heck out of it. Now I rarely bother.

I will take bottled water in a pinch, but I don't care for the taste. I have a cabinet full of bottles for water that we fill halfway, freeze, then top off with tap water, for summer use on-the-go.

2die4
02-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Water is 90% of the liquid I take in. Occasionally I will have a soda. Awhile ago it was the other way around. Drinking calories didn't make sense to me anymore. I rather eat them. I couldn't stand drinking water so I used sugar free mixes to flavor it. Now I simply go without the powders and haven't looked back.

robsdak
02-16-2013, 12:01 AM
Here ya go Rob, maybe this is why yoou get sick drinking that water.
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0304-04.htm

could very well be. thanks. i carry water from home with me in the truck, so i am never without 'good water', the tap water here is filtered, so it tastes fine.

Grumpy Old Man
02-16-2013, 02:20 AM
I drink 1 TBSP of Honey and 1 TBSP of apple cider vinegar in 16 oz of water every morning to help lose weight. I also drink a couple of quarts during the day from my Cera Grav filter ( like a Berkey but without the claims- uses the same Super Sterasyl candles). At night after along day at work, I flavor my water with Rebel Yell, Evan Williams or Jim Beam. That also eases Grumpy's rheumatism and promotes a feeling of well being so important in these troubled time. Note: Do not treat rheumatism while reloading, tying flies, sharpening knives or axes, or while playing with your blue heeler!

mitunnelrat
02-16-2013, 02:26 AM
Water is 90% of the liquid I take in. Occasionally I will have a soda. Awhile ago it was the other way around. Drinking calories didn't make sense to me anymore. I rather eat them. I couldn't stand drinking water so I used sugar free mixes to flavor it. Now I simply go without the powders and haven't looked back.

Annnd there's that wagon I was talking about!

robsdak
02-18-2013, 04:56 AM
Grumpy... why do you treat Jim and Evan that way? BAD Grumpy!!!

Grumpy Old Man
02-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Grumpy... why do you treat Jim and Evan that way? BAD Grumpy!!!

Just making sure the water is adequately purified,lol!