PDA

View Full Version : Someone unexpected noticed.

LUNCHBOX
06-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Well, today I'm making rounds through the rec yard and I overheard a few inmates talking about what the system would do with them if something happened. This didn't shock me to hear it, it just shocked me that individuals that were/are used to living off someone elses tax dollar was even asking. I didn't let on that anything being said mattered to me but they talked for awhile but not worried either way.

Mods....If this not a discussion worth getting into, by all means take care of it for me.

mitunnelrat
06-08-2011, 05:48 AM
It actually doesn't surprise me too much that an inmate or 3 might have thought of this and brought it up in discussion. Its exactly how I'd be thinking if I was in their shoes. I've got to admit though, I am interested in realistic answers to this question due to my proximity to a couple facilities, and its nothing I can ask the CO's I do know, who would more than likely ridicule my even asking.

AlphaTea
06-08-2011, 06:04 AM
My brother is a CO.
He says this comes up more and more often.
He also says, no matter what, they aint going anywhere!

LUNCHBOX
06-08-2011, 10:03 PM
As for inmates here, well, see-ya. I will say this....the jails power comes from natural gas piped directly to the huge ass generator here. Almost good information-lol

RedJohn
06-09-2011, 07:42 AM
They would be the real people to worry about in case of crisis. It is good to know that they're going nowhere.

beginner
06-09-2011, 07:50 AM
I wonder if a regular joe type sheeple with a starving kid wouldn't be a bigger threat than some corporate big wig who was caught insider trading.....

RedJohn
06-09-2011, 08:20 AM
I wonder if a regular joe type sheeple with a starving kid wouldn't be a bigger threat than some corporate big wig who was caught insider trading.....

I don't think so. Most of these people will look for gov help. All depends on the length of the crisis.

mitunnelrat
06-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Accounts from Hurricane Katrina actually corroborate that prisoner's (and even some guards) were abandoned and left alone for days.

Prisoners went days without food, water and ventilation, and deputies admit that they received no emergency training and were entirely unaware of any evacuation plan. Even some prison guards were left locked in at their posts to fend for themselves, unable to provide assistance to prisoners in need.

The prisoners were finally evacuated by order of the state after days of fear and chaos. The report follows the prisoners as they were transferred to jails and prisons around Louisiana.
ACLU Report Details Horrors Suffered by Orleans Parish Prisoners in Wake of Hurricane Katrina | American Civil Liberties Union (http://www.aclu.org/prisoners-rights/aclu-report-details-horrors-suffered-orleans-parish-prisoners-wake-hurricane-katrin)

It'd be a safe bet to say this will happen again, under the right circumstances, but it doesn't sound like the prisoner's went much longer than any other resident of New Orleans depending on FEMA. Does anybody else remember the outcry over federal aid taking too long to arrive?

After reading this account and recalling some past conversations I'm willing to theorize that any abandoned prisoner's will actually be transferred to other facilities somewhere between 72 and 120 hours after the shtf event. It strikes me that reports are constantly made already of prisoner overcrowding. How much more so when you run into this? Couple that with low staff numbers during and after an emergency... Best case, they're all transported without incident between these facilities, and any issues stay contained within the prison system. Worst case... Anyone? Or am I just talking out of my ass on this?

LUNCHBOX
06-10-2011, 02:44 AM
We have the means to move them but won't have to due to our power system. There are plans in place but the question would be to where.

alaska
06-12-2011, 04:21 AM
Well most of us here have also talked about gangs once or twice here and there and the role they might play should the balloon go up.
Would they seek out fellow imprisoned members or vice versa?
What about linking up and setting up shop in the prison?

So the balloon goes up, mass panic and exodus.... outside gang bangers meet up with locked up members, they have been setting up and prepping like we have talked about.

There are a worse places, I reckon, then a prison to set up shop.
Designed not to be broken out of but would it be easily held onto. My line of thinking is based on couple hundred members.
Yes I understand multiple points to patrol and such but its allready set up so to speak.

Am i bordering tin foil here or do you think it has some merit?

Kodiak
06-12-2011, 08:12 PM
An inmate asked me once what would happen if a train hit the jail, since the tracks are probably no more than 100ft away. Anyway i chuckled at him and said he was screwed because i would be heading the other way. I think that depending on the scale of the disaster at hand, that would be the mindset of most people. Look out for #1 first.

TOOTHPICK
06-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Ya, Kodiak and Lunchbox, If something happened or something hit the jail, I would hope to whoever anyone prays to that one of us who looks out for each other, is working the control room! I wouldn't have any problem letting officers out first and forgetting about the inmates, after all, it's their fault they are in there, they couldn't function in a "normal" society, let alone one that is crumbling! I look at it as 1,000 less people that will be bothersome during a SHTF situation! and job be damned if the situation does happen! I'll look out for the home team before I will look out for the "visitors"! And if I lose my job over it, so be it! after all Obama will take care of me!! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I just made myself LOl! ;)

pitbullnga
07-12-2011, 07:45 PM
I speak to some DOC guys about said scenarios and they tell me that plans are in place to put the prison on lockdown and good luck to the ones left inside.