PDA

View Full Version : Floating SHTF, Carnival Triumph no power as sea

rentprop1
02-14-2013, 06:46 PM
if you haven't seen the news the Carnival ship Triumph had an engine fire at sea, its being towed back to Mobile Al today and should arrive tonight

lots of folks are able to start to call in to the news stations as the cell reception improves as they near shore

lots of stories about sewage back ups, no showers, hot sleeping on the hall ways and on decks and people hoarding food ??

any discussion on this from the prep crowd ??

Katrina
02-15-2013, 05:39 AM
One of the ladies that works in the building has a sister on the ship. As of 3:00 today she said they hadn't heard from her since Monday. Her sister is a diabetic and she figured her sister hs run out of insulin. I'm praying her sister is ok, won't know till I go to work tomorrow. She did say from what her sister told them it is worse than what we've seen on the news.

Sniper-T
02-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Good thing Carnival has lots of money... They're going to need it!

Considering how many people on a cruise have cameras, I am surprised that there aren't a million photos of the 'poor conditions' posted already. But I guess they'll come in time

rentprop1
02-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Considering how many people on a cruise have cameras, I am surprised that there aren't a million photos of the 'poor conditions' posted already. But I guess they'll come in time

yea, as the ship got closer to land , people were then able to upload and send pics and video, but while out at sea they only had WiFi available when another ship came up next to them with supplies, and for some reason not a lot of the pics or vids were able to make it out....

CNN interviewed a lot of folks on the way off, even after Carnival told them they were not allowed to speak to the press, yea right, how could they stop you

one of the guys must have been a prepper because he stated he had a flashlight and some paracord ( yes he used that exact phrase ) to lash some sheets in the form of a tent on the deck.....since the fire occurred at 05:30 am, a flashlight would have been invaluable

Evolver
02-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Here's some.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/243642/158/PHOTOS-Aboard-the-Carnival-Triumph-Cruise-Ship

David Armstrong
02-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Maybe it is just me, but having problems with the toilet flushing and having to stand in line for lunch really doesn't strike me as a SHTF scenario. A slight inconvenience, maybe, but that is about it.

Stormfeather
02-18-2013, 01:07 AM
Yea, after reading some of the stories about walking thru feces laden water on all the floors, that is a HUGE biohazard issue there. Sure would not want to be those guys cleaning it up.

On the plus side, Carnival Cruises are now DIRT CHEAP on pricing! What was originally a $900 cruise has dropped pricewise down to $229!!!

ladyhk13
02-18-2013, 05:45 AM
Of course this happens just after I booked our first cruise to leave in April. I've been scared thinking about all of the things that can go wrong...hurricane, Burmuda Triangle, fire, pirates, iceburgs, sharks eating me once our ship sinks into the bowels of the ocean....yeah, it's all flashing through my mind. I'm just so thrilled to be going I'm jumping through my skin. Just get my butt on the island and I'll be fine. Oh yeah, there will be no pictures of me on the ship without my lifejacket on. AND we are packing some of Izzy's survival tabs just in case.

Gunfixr
02-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Even under normal conditions, a cruise ship is one thing: a big, floating petri dish.

No, thanks.

ladyhk13
02-18-2013, 11:40 PM
Even under normal conditions, a cruise ship is one thing: a big, floating petri dish.

No, thanks.

You are making me feel so much better about going..........................I just want to get to the islands. Maybe we should have flown.

Gunfixr
02-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Well, as long as not one person, in all of them, is sick in any way, you should be ok.

I just know what my wife told me, during nursing school, when they discussed microbiology.
Her instructor said she'd not be caught dead on a cruise ship, and explained why.

ladyhk13
02-19-2013, 12:09 AM
I'm going to make sure I don't touch a lot of things (I'm almost a germaphobe)...take antibiotics with me, wash a lot, have extra water in our cabin, our own soap...everything I can think of.

Sniper-T
02-20-2013, 09:44 PM
The ship we were on were the biggest germaphobes I ever met!. they had people with "squishy-squishy" squirt bottles for your hands EVERYWHERE!! clean towels, clean plates, clean cuttlery...clean every thing. If you want a second or eighth cup of coffee... leave your cup behind, and go get a new one.

we were up late a few nights, and up early in the morning. They drained the hottubs nightly for scrubbing, they scrubbed the whole deck, and everytime you turn around they were wiping railings, elevator buttons, everything. Even my wife who works in a medical lab was amazed at the effort put in to sanitize the ship continually

Sniper-T
02-20-2013, 09:49 PM
What islands are you going to LH?

ElevenBravo
02-20-2013, 10:35 PM
By the law of statistics, this should not occur again for quite a while (a year?) so this is the best time to take a cruise!

EB

ladyhk13
02-21-2013, 02:43 AM
What islands are you going to LH?

Somewhere in the Bahamas. We're going to stay at a cabin on the beach at a resort. Hopefully it will be fun. I can't wait to have a tan again and scrunch my toes in some pure white sand and see the crystal blue water. Sometimes I really miss living in Fl (and Hawaii).

Katrina
02-21-2013, 05:22 AM
My friend says that her sister told her there were a couple of college students on board that jury rigged a charging station somehow and peoples phones were being charged while out at sea. That's why you see a lot pictures. My friend's opinion is that the company may have felt since they were too far away from shore and there was no power to charge phones that people wouldn't be able to snap pictures and were telling the world all was ok but I guess they found out that wasn't the case. She also said her sister did run out of insulin and contrary to the Company's announcements to the public, there was no medicines on board for any one. She also said her sister was interviewed on CNN this weekend . She said it wasn't till the ship reached US waters did they start feeding the people on the ship any real food. Her sister said all they got for the first 2-3 days was some fruits and some vegetables and water but when they got close to US Waters and peoples cell phones were sending they got lobster, chicken,etc. If I remember a show I saw on cruise ships , they supposedly load up on food for the cruise ship when they dock and before they ship out. SO I wonder why they didn't feed the people from the stores. And if they couldn't cook food , how come they were able to do so when they were being towed. Also she now has a rash on her legs that the docs here can't quite figure out what it is but they do know it was from slogging thru the ankle deep polluted water on the interior decks. The sister has documented everything and there are a couple of big time maritime lawyers now involved. You watch ,the company will go belly up and all those people will be outta luck.

Sniper-T
02-21-2013, 11:22 AM
It is a popular misconception that ships re-stock in all the ports; in fact, they take all the food/water/fuel from their originating port for the entire trip, and only take on 'extras' if absolutely necessary. Without main power, I would imagine that most of the kitchen facilities were out of commision, as would be the hot water. This may help explain why hot food/cooked food was not provided initially (no way to defrost/cook the amount needed).

One other thing they did on our boat, was to have poolside BBQ's each sea day for lunch, but I would guess only a 1/4 of the people actually took part of this, and even at that, on the seafood jambalaya day, the wait was about an hour.

I am sure Carnivals pockets are mighty deep. They'll take a nasty hit, but I doubt they'll go belly up.

Hopefully all the cruise lines learn something from this

David Armstrong
02-21-2013, 03:36 PM
By the law of statistics, this should not occur again for quite a while (a year?) so this is the best time to take a cruise!
EB
Sorry, got to throw the penalty flag on that one. Statistics doesn't work that way. The chance of this occurrring again is exactly the same today as it was yesterday and will be tomorrow. Think of a coin toss. you have tossed 6 "heads" in a row. What are the odds of tossing "heads" again? 50/50.

ladyhk13
02-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Sorry, got to throw the penalty flag on that one. Statistics doesn't work that way. The chance of this occurrring again is exactly the same today as it was yesterday and will be tomorrow. Think of a coin toss. you have tossed 6 "heads" in a row. What are the odds of tossing "heads" again? 50/50.

Awe come on....he was trying to make me feel better. You just busted my fuzzy feeling bubble :(

Gunfixr
02-23-2013, 01:32 AM
LadyHK, I sincerely hope all goes well, and that you have a real good time.

If somehow I ever get to an island in the Bahamas, it'll be by some other method. Even if I were to go, my wife will never get on a cruise ship, after what she learned in Microbiology class, and she's not a germophobe by any means.

Sniper-T
02-23-2013, 01:50 AM
Awe come on....he was trying to make me feel better. You just busted my fuzzy feeling bubble :(

at least he wasn't tossing cats...

jus' sayin'

lol

ladyhk13
02-23-2013, 05:45 AM
LadyHK, I sincerely hope all goes well, and that you have a real good time.

If somehow I ever get to an island in the Bahamas, it'll be by some other method. Even if I were to go, my wife will never get on a cruise ship, after what she learned in Microbiology class, and she's not a germophobe by any means.

I know about micro (did all the sciences and chems in college) but back then I tried not to think about it as much. Now I'm much more aware especially with all of the diseases out there that could be spread on purpose (bio warfare included). Plus most people are just NASTY!!!
At least our WalMart did put the ladies trash can near the door so we could put our paper towels in it after we open the door with them after I asked them to. Made me a happy camper not to have to feel like a basket ball player tossing it across the room while holding the door open with my foot and stretching as far as possible to try to reach enough to make it in it. THREE!!!!

rentprop1
02-23-2013, 08:28 AM
At least our WalMart did put the ladies trash can near the door so we could put our paper towels in it after we open the door with them after I asked them to.

Dr OZ actually did a thing on his show to start a movement, that said to just toss it on the floor, so the mgmt and the janitor would get the picture and actually put one there, you shouldn't have to ask for one

I always make it a point to tell the wife in a really loud voice after following someone out that did not wash up, hey honey that guy took a crap and didn't wash as I point and shake my head so that all around can hear it ....lol

ladyhk13
02-24-2013, 05:58 AM
I usually will ask the establishment for what I want and since we live in such a small town they are pretty accomodating. I try not to do rude or ill mannered things unless totally provoked and even then I usually still try to be nice about things. But I have made remarks like you rentprop1 about people not washing or doing something nasty. I have my days.

rentprop1
02-24-2013, 10:39 AM
its nice that you ask, but more and more health department officials are telling restaurants and other places to put a can there if the door doesn't open out, here in FL thay are gonna change the building code so that restroom doors have to open out..... but I think its a fire thing , not a germ thing ....lol

apssbc
02-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Cruise ships can be a giant Petri dish but that's kinda to be expected. You can't forget that the cruise ship has 1000 employees giving 110% to clean the ship and take care of you. I just got back from my cruise and it was amazing. To be honest I won't travel Any other way to see the Caribbean.

Just remember to keep a small go bag with you. You can bring a knife under 4" with you. I actually brought 2, multiple water purification devices, med kit, trauma kit, shelter supplies and what not and they scanned it without saying a word. The med kit came in handy as I lacerated and broke my toe on a reef. I kept a hydration bladder full all the time and had extra food in the room.

I highly recommend cruises. I've been to the Bahamas, st Maarten, st Thomas, Cozumel, and the grand caymans. I will be going on more. Don't worry and have a good time.

Gunfixr
03-04-2013, 03:50 AM
And I thought I was the only one who took a paper towel to open the bathroom door at public bathrooms.
Mostly, I try to avoid them, but, well, you know how that goes..........

ladyhk13
03-06-2013, 06:04 AM
I am going to try and think good thoughts. It could be worse. I could be going to the hospital and catching all kinds of diseases and flesh eating infections. Oh wait, that's not until May.

Gunfixr
03-16-2013, 03:24 AM
You know I read the other day that another Carnival ship had troubles, but they caught it in a port.
Once they realized it was going to take too long to fix, they just got everyone airfare home.

Of course, I believe it was Carnival had that ship sink off Italy awhile back.

rentprop1
03-16-2013, 03:57 AM
they just got everyone airfare home.

every thing " what if you don't like to fly " and that why you take cruises to vacation spots :confused:......wonder if you could wait it out for the next boat

Stormfeather
03-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Right now there are actually 2 Carnival Cruise ships experiencing problems, ones in port, and another is bypassing Bimini to come straight back to Tampa!

rentprop1
03-18-2013, 05:01 AM
and since Carnival owns just about every cruise line that Royal Caribbean doesn't , its not a ploy to declare bankruptcy, I think its just a string of bad luck

bring on the low prices baby

ladyhk13
03-20-2013, 12:41 AM
They said that even though there are all these problems the ships are still full. Amazing. Glad we aren't on one of them. Still scared though. It's getting close!

Sniper-T
03-21-2013, 04:53 AM
we were on Norwegians oldest ship. and it was in amazing shape. I'd have no issues sailing Norwegian again

ladyhk13
04-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Well we made it back from the cruise...the ship didn't sink but by bad feelings about going were not without merit. On the way down just south of Atlanta I was driving and had an accident where I ended up going from the left lane of the interstate all the way off the road hitting the guardrail on the right side of the road. Totally smashed the right rear end and trunk of the car. Thank God I didn't flip the car or take anyone else out. BWRR had to pull away the metal in Orlando in order to get the trunk to open and close and push out some of the rear panel so that if it rained there wouldn't be a huge gap for the trunk to fill up with water.
On the way home he was driving and the lady next to us had someone swerve into her lane so she came into our lane and slammed into us and hit the passenger side from the door all the way down to the trunk so basically the whole right side of the car, trunk and rear bumper are going to have to be replaced. Her SUV had to be put on a tow flatbed trailer and hauled away so I guess it could have been worse for us. Volvo's take a licking and keep on ticking.
I should have listened to that bad feeling I had and stayed home. It was the first trip I felt it and the first one bad things happened. I should have known. My mom told me before I left that I should listen to it and cancel but we had already paid for it so I told her I was going to go anyway. What are the chances of having 2 accidents on a vacation???? My poor car! At least we weren't hurt, both were on the interstate going 80 mph so it could have been very bad. We were being protected for sure.
The cruise was great though. Grand Bahamas was wonderful. The people are awesome. I loved that it wasn't such a main tourist spot with thousands of people. We swam with the dolphins and ate great food...oh and the drinks!!!!! Yummy! We were on the go nonstop! We met some great people on the ship and hung out with a semi pro football hall of famer Larry DeVoe and his wife who are crazy fun people and another couple who the guy works for the Dept of Justice. What interesting discussion went on with that one!!!
All in all it was fun but I think I'm done leaving home. My plants that I've babied from seed since Dec are dead or dying, poor dh has spent the past 2 days mowing/bush hogging and still isn't done and so many other things go to pot when ya leave especially when animals are involved that it's easier to stay put. Great experience though and makes me miss living in old FL.