PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Wildlife

The Stig
06-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Seems like we've had an explosion of wildlife in our backyard lately. We have two acres and most of it is wooded.

Saw some armadillos off in the weeds several weeks ago.

Then we saw a quail waddle through the yard and disappear into the underbrush/woods a few days ago.

Then in the fading light of dusk we saw a dark colored fox trot around the edge of the backyard and disappear into the underbrush/woods. Oddly, he disappeared at the same spot the quail did a few days earlier.

Then today, while on the phone, I looked out my office window to see a 3' black snake slither by in the yard. He moseyed along and then slithered his way out of sight. I may *forget* to tell the Mrs. about that one.

As a suburban raised human unit I think this stuff is all kinda cool. We have the standard birds, rabbits and racoons too, but the above animal I've never seen in all my Ohio years.

piranha2
06-09-2011, 10:35 PM
yeh, we got critters, too. Rabbits, coons, etc. It is very cool.

bacpacker
06-09-2011, 11:10 PM
We been here or a while, so over the years we've saw different stuff. When we got the place it was just a overgrown hay field. First thing I did was rent a tractor and bush hog and got to cuttin. I ended up killin 5 snakes while mowing, but I also stirred up a bunch of rabbits, dove, & quail. As we were getting things ready to build and made the cut for our driveway we started seeing quite a few deer. Since then we have started seeing some coons, squirrels, wood peckers, hawks, coyote, and our latest just this year after 17 years, wild turkey.
Just about the only thing we haven't saw are bear and boar. I doubt we'll ever see a boar here, but I won't be surprised if we have a bear pass thru.
Stig aren't you glad to be out in the country?

The Stig
06-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Stig aren't you glad to be out in the country?

Most definitely. We're in a subdivision, but our two acres is nearly all wooded and we're next to some open space that is also wooded. Our "city" is 3000 people, the next nearest city claims to be 10,000 and the entire county is 15,000 or so. Quite a change from the 175,000 or so of our last county.

We're really digging the small town experience so far. We've got a little bit of comfort with the small subdivision we're in, but we're basically a rural area.

Its almost.......well......Shelton-esque ;)

RedJohn
06-10-2011, 11:55 AM
I have a 510sq/ft mansion with a 100 sq/ft backyard that is filled with the filth that mansion's owners located above me throw thru the windows on a daily basis. The wildlife here either think that they are still living in a hut near Bamako or turn south 5 times a day and show their butts to everybody in the north.

You boys are so lucky, I need to hurry my ass back.

The Stig
06-10-2011, 01:29 PM
I have a 510sq/ft mansion with a 100 sq/ft backyard that is filled with the filth that mansion's owners located above me throw thru the windows on a daily basis. The wildlife here either think that they are still living in a hut near Bamako or turn south 5 times a day and show their butts to everybody in the north.

You boys are so lucky, I need to hurry my ass back.

No doubt brother. I know it sucks rock being over there.

bacpacker
06-10-2011, 02:42 PM
No doubt brother. I know it sucks rock being over there.

+1000

alaska
06-12-2011, 02:41 AM
gosh all i have is moose,bears,eagles....................and 1 really weird neighbor

bacpacker
06-12-2011, 04:29 PM
We were in the kitchen fixin breakfast this morning. The wife looked out our window and hollered at me to grab a camera. We had a turkey hen and 6-10 young (not so little) turkeys that had came within 20-30 yards of our basement. by the time I got my camera they had went up under a cherry tree. We went out the front door and around both sides of the house to try and sneak up on the and get a picture. About the time we were gettin in position a neighbor slammed something and the young turkeys flew, the hen went running across the garden. What photo's I got weren't any good. Pretty cool first thing in the morning though. I had never seen turkey here until about 2-3 weeks ago when we saw the big tom. Guess I need to go look around and see if I can find where they are roosting.

LUNCHBOX
06-12-2011, 07:52 PM
I see rabbits all the time when I walk around out back. I see deer bed down by my pond on a regular basis. I am going to let one have its own room in my freezer this winter.

piranha2
06-15-2011, 11:26 PM
gosh all i have is moose,bears,eagles....................and 1 really weird neighbor

Your neighbor is weirder than you? He must be a liberal.