PDA

View Full Version : Cash or PM's in your GHB/BOB?

bacpacker
02-28-2013, 01:41 AM
I've been giving some thought to our GHB's in particular, but BOB's as well. Something I've been considering adding to them is an amount of cash $5, 10, & 20 bills, plus some silver dimes, quarters, & halves. My thinking being I'm stuck at work or somewhere and end up walking home, there is a chance I may need some funds for an item, passage thru an area, boat ride across the lake, any number of things. Cash as long as it's still in use, silver if cash should become useless or worthless.

What's everyone's ideas on this? Anyone else already have this in practice? What amounts seem prudent?

robsdak
02-28-2013, 02:06 AM
good thought.

me i keep rolled change and a few bucks tucked away. but i also keep some silver coins for when other monies are no good. i am also pretty good at bartering my way around.

maybe $75-100 cashy money
2 rolls of quarters
zippered purse/small bag with the silver
extra pocket knives, sheath knife, length of paracord,.22 ammo for a little barter action.

edit: cashy money and rolled coins are in GHB, silver and barter items are in BOB. sorry that wasn't clear.

Echo2
02-28-2013, 02:56 AM
BOB from home has some cash and silver.....I carry some cash on me at all times.....but no silver.

LUNCHBOX
02-28-2013, 09:30 AM
I would say cash for the GHB and both cash/pm for the BOB. Why?...The GHB is based on a short period incident where your going point A to point B asap. The BOB is more long term and should be equipped as such. This is just the way I see it at least.

Also, I would limit the cash in the GHB based on if you leave it in your vehicle full time or take it inside with you. (some people like to take others stuff on occasion) BP, it might be better to get in the habit of keeping a small of $$$ on you at all time or hidden in your vehicle but not in your GHB.

AlphaTea
02-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Do both
Each vehicle GHB has $100 small bills, $5 misc coins and a roll of silver dimes.

David Armstrong
03-02-2013, 04:07 PM
I've seen the value of cash during an emergency, so I keep a fair amount with my gear. A plastic bag holds eight $100 bills and twenty $10 bills, and an equal amount is kept in the safe. I also keep two silver dollars in the gear bag.

realist
03-04-2013, 04:47 AM
I always carry cash. In my truck I always carry $500 in small bills along with a couple of rolls of quarters. I do not have silver in my truck but it is a thought. I do have plenty at my BOL along with everything else I need.

cwconnertx
03-04-2013, 05:51 AM
I have $150 in cash in my edc bag, and 1 roll of silver dimes and 5 morgan silver dollars.

I suppose that's diversification.

Daca102090
03-04-2013, 06:46 AM
In each BOB for both my wife and myself there is a roll of quarters, 10 ounces of silver rounds (1/2 1oz and 1/2 in half ounces) and $250 in ones, fives and tens.

izzyscout21
03-04-2013, 08:38 PM
I keep some cash in my bags. I decided to skip the PMs in the GHB simply due to the fact that while I and others like us know the value of silver currency, a good portion of our population doesnt know the difference between regular and silver currency.... Especially when it looks like a dime, quarter, etc.

LUNCHBOX
03-06-2013, 09:18 AM
^^^Izzy, that is a good point in regards to the silver. I feel cash would be my first option in the G.H.B. anyway just to pay the way if needed.

rentprop1
03-06-2013, 12:44 PM
A plastic bag holds eight $100 bills and twenty $10 bills, and an equal amount is kept in the safe. I also keep two silver dollars in the gear bag.

why the plastic bag , cash is already waterproof you never found that $ 20 from last swim season tucked away in the pocket of your swim trunks from when you last took the kids to the public pool

p.s. thats sounds like an awful lot of cash to keep in the GHB in a vehicle that any thief will be sure to grab and rummage through in a vehicle burglary ???

Jimmy24
03-06-2013, 02:16 PM
I keep folding cash and coin in all my bags. Though I don't smoke anymore, I keep 3 packs of cigarettes with matches in separate vaccum packed baggies. With the way I see folks willing to fork out $5-8 a pack now-a-days, I figure in a shtf type situation someone who really wants a smoke might be willing to trade something I need or have service I need for a few smokes. Plus they are very lite to pack...

Jimmy

msomnipotent
03-09-2013, 05:13 PM
My minivan is basically a rolling GHB for us, so I keep about $10 in change for vending machines, enough cash for one night in a cheap motel and a bit of groceries, and a few pre-64 coins hidden in there. Nothing that I would loose sleep over if someone broke into my car, but enough to get us home. I figure that if something so terrible happens that a credit card or the cash can't cover, I can either barter my wedding bands or try to do without.

Kodiak
03-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Good call on the cigarettes, never thought about it but people will chop off an arm and a leg to get their smoke on.

ElevenBravo
03-18-2013, 07:30 PM
A little cash, about $100 and extra ammo...

EB