PDA

View Full Version : Water barrel stand

bacpacker
03-01-2013, 09:48 PM
I found these plans today and thought some of you may be interested. It wouldn't be very hard to make this into a multi-barrel rack both wider and taller. I have a few barrels and think I'm gonna make one to hold them and probably fix some type of cover for it to keep them clean and to keep the light out.

http://www.iwillprepare.com/Water_files/Water_Water_Barrel_Stands.htm

4suchatimeasthis
03-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Nice! Thanks.

2die4
03-01-2013, 11:51 PM
This is going into my favorites. Thank you.

Evolver
03-02-2013, 12:01 AM
I like!!! And... to give you more head PSI you could manifold the top and bottom together by putting a second spigot in the bottom barrels and connect it to the top one's with a short hose and just draw out of the bottom spigot.

For every foot of head (height) you gain 0.4 PSI so at 5' in height you'll have 5 times the water flow (2 PSI)... For the wine in the box/Gott drink cooler users... This is why the first glass fills faster than than the last.

bacpacker
03-02-2013, 12:21 AM
Great idea E! I'm thinking of going 3-4 barrels high in the basement.

Evolver
03-02-2013, 12:38 AM
How will you fill them? Another spigot on the top one and gravity feed? :)

bacpacker
03-02-2013, 01:06 AM
Still in the planning thought process. Right now I'm thinking of hooking all the barrels together vertically and using the small bung to fill the barrels from the top down using gravity. That could change if I can come up with something better.

Evolver
03-02-2013, 01:17 AM
I brain farted... :o I thought it threw and you'll need to vent each drum in order to fill them if there manifolded. To manifold them correctly you will need three penetrations in each barrel.

bacpacker
03-02-2013, 02:11 AM
Details, details. That is something to be figured out. Right now I'm thinking maybe a small 12v pump to pump water thru a hose into each upper hole, let the air blow out around the hose.

I don't know yet, but I'm sure the brain trust on here will come up with a good idea before I get a rack built. Right now I only have three barrels anyway.

Echo2
03-02-2013, 02:58 AM
Nice....I gotta remember to snap some pics of the completed water tower at the BOL.

Evolver
03-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Bingo! I found this pic of a venting system that would work well on stacked manifolded barrels.

http://nwpreppers.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/rain-barrel-4a.jpg?w=224&h=300

Jimmy24
03-19-2013, 12:50 AM
Details, details. That is something to be figured out. Right now I'm thinking maybe a small 12v pump to pump water thru a hose into each upper hole, let the air blow out around the hose.

I don't know yet, but I'm sure the brain trust on here will come up with a good idea before I get a rack built. Right now I only have three barrels anyway.

I have a scavenged water pump from an old RV. It is not particularly fast, but it is low amp draw and does move the water. It is my back up water plan. BTW I only have 3 barrels too, at least for drinking.

I have 4 of them for my garden that I have used for many years. I use gravity flow for them with a drip system I built from ½ pvc.

I like the stands. I stand mine straight up. I put a valve in the bottom of mine for the garden barrels. They sit on 4 foot tall stands I built for them. The garden water comes from the roof of my barn.

Good luck. It’s not rocket science but may take a while to figure out what you really need and want your system to do.

Good thread.

Jimmy