PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Ship Stranded for 5 days

72hrbugoutbag
03-03-2013, 10:44 PM
I know this isn't exactly "breaking" anymore, but I just recently joined. This is actually my first (of many hopefully) posts on this forum. If y'all didn't hear about it, you can read about what happened here (http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/14/travel/cruise-ship-fire). The basics of the story is that an engine fire left the ship without power for 5 days, and tugs had to drag it into port. People were using bags/buckets as latrines; the plumbing started leaking; food was running low; etc.

Having been on a cruise before and planning my next one for next year, I wrote an article on my site about things that "survival-minded" people would probably want to bring along. If you want to read the whole article, you can find it here (http://72hrbugoutbag.com/cruise-ship-survival-emergency-preparednes/). Here are the highlights:
- Know how many bags you can bring and make one of them a BOB type bag
- Most military personnel know the 7 P's - Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance (ie bring food and water)
- Passports are not required for most cruises but highly recommended
- International calling card if you get stranded/left behind by your ship in a foreign country
- Solar/battery powered phone charger (There was only one working outlet for the whole ship according to one passenger that was interviewed.)
- Research the areas you will be making stops in and/or going close to in order to be more prepared for what to expect once you get boots on ground.

I'm glad to be involved on a forum with other like-minded people that can offer some other tips and constructive criticism. With that being said, what would you add to this list? Anyone planning on cruising or already have?

Evolver
03-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Good read and welcome aboard. 'no pun intended':)

bacpacker
03-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Good article! We aren't planning a cruise anytime soon, but I bookmarked it for future reference.

72hrbugoutbag
03-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Good read and welcome aboard. 'no pun intended':)

Well played.

Also, I was browsing the forums more and stumbled across a few threads where you guys already discussed this. I'm kinda new to this whole forum thing, so I'll work on not double-tapping topics. I really like the idea of using the steak knives they provide. I'll definitely be keeping that in mind on our next cruise.