PDA

View Full Version : US Gov eying your 401K

bacpacker
03-04-2013, 11:52 PM
I read Investors Buisness Daily on occasion. While i don't but into much of their investment advice. I do find some of their news articles fairly accurate most of the time. I have heard discussions about this very thing for several years from different sources. This article, if accurate, disturbs me greatly. I haven't had a chance to find anything to back it up yet.

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/030113-646474-obama-and-new-bureaucracy-targeting-401k-savings.htm

Broke U.S. Government Eying Your Retirement Savings

Posted 03/01/2013 06:44 PM ET

Dodd-Frank's new "consumer protection" agency wants to "help" Americans manage their nearly $20 trillion in retirement savings, and President Obama has tax loopholes in his sights.

It's mattress-stuffing time.

You probably thought the Dodd-Frank Act was all about reining in greedy big banks and Wall Street predators.

Well then, what is the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau it established doing planning to "help" people manage the $19.4 trillion they've managed to save for their retirement?

CFPB director and longtime Democratic politician Richard Cordray earlier this month told Bloomberg News that managing retirement savings is "one of the things we've been exploring ... in terms of whether and what authority we have."

Every such new creature legislated into existence by our elected officials wastes little time before seeking to expand its power — always with the best intentions, of course.

There always ends up being an excuse to do things the law doesn't give you any authority for, and the CFPB's Office for Older Americans being headed by another big government Democrat, Hubert H. Humphrey III, is further cause for worry.

What business, exactly, does a U.S. government that has rung up over $16.6 trillion in red ink have giving consumers advice on how to save money?

Uncle Sam, Spendthrift

What can a consumer learn about frugality and responsibility from a corrupt, insatiable Washington leviathan that screams about the sky falling when just 2% in automatic spending cuts kick in?

In this context comes the release of a report from the liberal Brookings Institution last week suggesting a 28% cap on "the rate at which deductions and exclusions related to retirement saving reduce a taxpayer's income tax liability."

Don't worry, Brookings says, because "the (mostly high-income) individuals that do alter contributions in response to changes in the return on these investments tend to simply offset these adjustments with changes in other forms of saving."

And "the available evidence from studies of 401(k)-type programs with automatic enrollment suggests that many would stay with the program and, in turn, increase their saving."

Elsewhere, the think tank recently argued that "New research suggests that the tax subsidy for contributions to retirement accounts only affects the behavior of certain financially sophisticated households and does not raise overall saving significantly."

Savings Tax?

As American Society of Pension Professionals & Actuaries CEO Brian H. Graff charged last week, such a cash grab "would more accurately be described as double taxation" in which "a small-business owner in the 39.6% bracket would pay an 11.6% tax on contributions made to the 401(k) plan today, and pay tax again at the full rate when they retire."

Read More At IBD: Broke And Broken U.S. Government Eying Your Retirement Savings - Investors.com http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/030113-646474-obama-and-new-bureaucracy-targeting-401k-savings.htm#ixzz2Mcb9UQlj

ElevenBravo
03-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Ive said it for years.. the only way to keep your money safe is stick it in a sock and tuck it under your mattress (yeah, I know... short of a house fire, etc...) but its the CONCEPT that still holds true.

The great depression left many wishing they had done the same, how can today's risk be any different.... something to ponder.

EB

bacpacker
03-05-2013, 12:23 AM
The great depression left many wishing they had done the same, how can today's risk be any different.... something to ponder.
EB

I think you may be on to something there.

ak474u
03-05-2013, 01:03 AM
It wouldn't surprise me at all, there's a big fat chunk of change sitting out there in all these "rich" people's accounts, (people who have any savings at all and don't get government assistance) and surely these "rich people" have screwed someone over to get the money they have "saved" so why not distribute it. I'm sure these people wouldn't want to be living the good life while their fellow Americans starved. The death tax is my favorite, pay taxes on everything your whole life, and when you drop dead, uncle sugar steals your wallet.

helomech
03-05-2013, 01:46 AM
If my 401k is taken someone is going to pay the ultimate price. That I promise.