PDA

View Full Version : Bug-out bag on a budget (video) HD

Richarddbeck
03-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Hello all. I'm new here but I've been in to mild prepping for a while now. I say "mild" because I lack the cold hard cash to be anything other then a mild prepper. I finally got my emergency bag / Bug out bad put together. A friend and I are going to test out our bug-out system tonight. We are not going to a lagit location just spending the night in the woods tonight with only our bug out bags. The challenge is it's going to be in the 20 degree rang tonight. I also deprived my self of sleep to make it more of a challenge. I've only sleeps 3 hours in the last 24.

Here is a video of my Bug-out system. Also I have Tumbs and a flash light in the front pocket of my bag that I forgot to show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaYe7_oc_YQ

Taz Baby
03-08-2013, 02:26 PM
First of all welcome to the colony, go to the new members thread and introduce yourself. I like the video and you seem to have most of what you need but I will mention a few things that I saw that you missed and what you can do to make more room if you don't mind.

First off you can vacuum seal the canvas and pillow for more room. You said that you were going to get water from a stream, but you don't have a water purifier in there. You need one because stream water is not clean enough to drink. Also in your little fanny pack you can put most of your stuff that was in the water bottle in there to have on your person at all times. Which when you use your bottle for water where are you going to put that stuff? You didn't have any toasty toes or hand warmers in there and since it was going to be in the 20's you might need them. Also a bigger flashlight would come in handy. Just trying to help out.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I see you have a dog, might want to make a bag for him or her to carry also.

Richarddbeck
03-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Thanks that is really great advice. I do have a some toasty toes and a flash light in the bag I totally forgot to empty the very front pouch. lol I like the idea as how to use the fanny pack, and vacuum packing the pillow and canvas.

I have a vacuum but no vacuum bags. Is there and easy way to use a normal plastic bag that I don't know about?

For water I did end up fitting the stuff that I had in the bottle into the front pouch in the bag and I filled the water bottle with clean water. For additional water we where going to boil it. Will that be good enough for small amounts? I do plan on getting a bigger bag and more stuff. This is our first try. This fall we hope to have loads more stuff and we're gonna do a week long outing. (well not just more but better stuff)

That's why I'm here. I need to learn a lot before then. :)

O yea... I love the dog bag idea! I'll work on that for the next time.

Taz Baby
03-08-2013, 03:07 PM
You can use a garbage bag to vacuum seal with using your vacuum but I have found out that is a 2 person job. You need to put a zip tie on the bag, fill it up, zip the tie down to almost there (like what a balloon looks like when you blow it up), vacuum it with your vacuum hose and when it is all the way there 2nd person finishes zipping the tie. It will not hold as good as the vacuum bags but it will work. Try putting several zipties and ducktape around it for added hold.

Jimmy24
03-08-2013, 03:32 PM
If you have a dollar store close by, the vac bags are cheap. Several sizes and you several for $4-5 bucks. Way worth it.

Jimmy

Richarddbeck
03-08-2013, 08:41 PM
If you have a dollar store close by, the vac bags are cheap. Several sizes and you several for $4-5 bucks. Way worth it.

Jimmy

sweet I'll check it out. we do have a Dollar General just down the street. I'll see what they have. I might try that garbage bag idea too. :)