PDA

View Full Version : What brand of rain gear

Jimmy24
03-08-2013, 03:17 PM
....do you have? I started this thread as I didn't want to take away from ElevenBravos Frog Togg thread....

My gear is pretty dated and yellow too boot. Now I actually have some "late model" stuff. It is the bright green DOT approved stuff. I do keep it for roadside problems to stay visible.

I think the Frog Toggs are probably pretty good, but here in the deep south, I'm thinking they will be too hot for summer time use. Sooooooo.....

I'm thinking a nice set of Gore Tex duds....

What ya'll got....?

Jimmy

Taz Baby
03-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Just plain ole waders and jacket, the ones that the boots are built in. Cant remember where we got them from but they are green rubberized.

bacpacker
03-08-2013, 03:49 PM
My most recent gore tex came from cabelas. Gander mtn dicks and bass pro carry them as do most all backpacking stores

ElevenBravo
03-08-2013, 08:09 PM
I think GT is probably the measuring stick that anything would be... er, measured. Short of that, I have a set of Red Ledge that I love. It does breath pretty well, and deff. keeps me DRY IN A DOUNPOUR!

This is the jacket I got, they dont show it but the store has the pants too, I got the set. IMHO its foolish to only get a jacket, a full set offers premium protection.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Red-Ledge-Camouflage-Thunderlight-Jacket/productDetail/Mens-Camo-Rain-Jackets/prod9999002291/cat110403#reviews

HTH,
EB

Evolver
03-08-2013, 08:56 PM
I just bought a set of ACU US Military Issue Gortex Jacket and Pants and like them alot!!!

Thanks again Izzy.

LUNCHBOX
03-09-2013, 04:43 AM
Evolver, I don't think we are allowed to say ACU here....LOL I have a pair of the Frog Toggs, Gor Tex and a Columbia jacket.

Jimmy24
03-09-2013, 02:56 PM
I just bought a set of ACU US Military Issue Gortex Jacket and Pants and like them alot!!!

Thanks again Izzy.

Where at?

Jimmy

realist
03-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Military issue Goretex you cant go wrong. I also have a couple of other sets from work 5.11 Tactical. When it is raining it is what I live in.

Evolver
03-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Where at?

Jimmy

I bought them from Izzy. I think he still has a nice set of rain gear (non Gore-Tex) that he's selling though.

Evolver
03-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Here is a set selling for 169.00.

http://store.glennsarmysurplus.com/acu-gen-ii-gore-tex-parka--trouser-gen--usgi-new-p229.aspx

ElevenBravo
03-10-2013, 01:19 PM
ACU
Yuch Yuch Yuch! Worst woods cammo ever, as... it was never meant to be used in the woods, only in the rubble of Afaganastan.

EB

Evolver
03-10-2013, 01:54 PM
ACU IMO is more diverse than any other pattern and I'm not plaining on buying three or four sets different patterns just to blend into the surroundings that I might be in at any one given time to stay dry.

Lunchbox... Evolver, I don't think we are allowed to say ACU here....LOL

Ooooops... your correct Lunchbox.:)

Jimmy24
03-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Here is a set selling for 169.00.

http://store.glennsarmysurplus.com/acu-gen-ii-gore-tex-parka--trouser-gen--usgi-new-p229.aspx

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Not to cut my current stuff short, cuz I lived in it pretty much for 30 years at my job...but that color is gonna not hide well...:p

I'd like to find some with the long coat, instead of just a jacket. Only time I ever used just my jacket and pants was climbing. Used pants (actually they were bib overalls) and the long coat 75% of the time. You will stay dry, even in a hurricane....trust me, been there done it..:p The long coat does have some added "Tailage", but worth it to me.

Thanks so much for all the replies. Backpacker, looking in Gandermtn next time I'm in there...

Jimmy

bacpacker
03-10-2013, 04:12 PM
I always get a Parka style instead of a jacket. I'm long waisted and a jacket style just don't give me good coverage. I also get a Tall model, otherwise the sleeves are too short as well.

I've never purchased a coat from Gander before, just saw some on site. My latest purchase was from Cabelas and I have been well pleased.

David Armstrong
03-10-2013, 10:46 PM
I like the old military poncho. Simple, effective, and versatile.

Stormfeather
03-11-2013, 05:25 AM
Hefty Trash Bag. . . Hole ripped out for sleeves and head.

ElevenBravo
03-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Hefty Trash Bag. . . Hole ripped out for sleeves and head.

Ghetto rain gear... Ive seen it used. It dont breath, but it worked for the trooper in a pinch. Wasnt sure if I should laugh or cry, but it did work...

EB

bacpacker
03-11-2013, 11:23 PM
I carry 1 contractor bag and 1 hefty bag in my GHB. It'll make a get by shelter if I need it to.

Stormfeather
03-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Yup, if it stupid but works, Its not stupid.

Make the best with what you have, its the out of the box thinking that wins the day.

Remember folks. . .Conventionalism will always lose in guerilla warfare!

rentprop1
03-13-2013, 02:40 AM
for you bigger guys who hate those one size fits all plastic poncho things they sell for $ 99 cents, here is the big boy alternative...Breathable, durable, 100% polypropylene
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Rain-Ponchos-for-Men/product/10204971/?cm_ven=bazaarvoice&cm_cat=RLP&cm_pla=10204971&cm_ite=image_link

Jimmy24
03-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Yup, if it stupid but works, Its not stupid.

Make the best with what you have, its the out of the box thinking that wins the day.

Remember folks. . .Conventionalism will always lose in guerilla warfare!

Heck I thought everyone knew that....I have several stuck in all my bags and vechicles....but I want a nice set for when I want to go out on a date in the rain.....I would never wear Sunday-go-to-meeting stuff to an IED party....

Jimmy

bourneshooter
03-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Mixture of Sierra Designs from REI and Arc'Teryx LEAF stuff.

izzyscout21
04-03-2013, 02:21 PM
As much as I like the Arc'Teryx LEAF line, there is no way on God's green earth I can justify the cost.

bourneshooter
04-08-2013, 08:48 AM
It's worth the penny, if you have the hundreds of pennies to buy it.

There are 2 items in the LEAF line that are a must own:
Atom LT jacket
Kneepads

The rain jacket - Alpha LT. I don't live in Portland/Seattle, so I can't justify it.

mitunnelrat
04-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Would those knee pads be the Military Knee Caps? I've been reading good things about those.

bourneshooter
04-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Would those knee pads be the Military Knee Caps? I've been reading good things about those.

Yes. Absolute best Knee Pads/Caps around unless your going with the Crye Combat Pants with internal Caps.

I run the Dirty Bird caps for any time I need knee protection.

On Rain Gear topic, The Dirty Bird Sphynx is a hybrid Hard Shell/Soft Shell for wet weather protection for wear with body armor. It works very well, at a high price though.

mitunnelrat
04-24-2013, 06:58 AM
I just realized I haven't said anything on topic here.

I've got an emergency poncho in a cargo pocket, a goretex jacket (still need pants, I keep forgetting about this) for winter, and just picked up a Frogg Toggs Ultralite2 suit.

mitunnelrat
04-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Replied to mtr

Thanks.