PDA

View Full Version : Idea Solicitation: Camo Bivy Sack

bourneshooter
03-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Anybody made a Bivy Sack here?

My ideal was a multicam one, but the only quality one I found I can't find for sale and its a Outdoor Research one for 1K so not very friendly to the wallet.

I'm open to just buying a mil surplus woodland camo one if it's to much work.

ElevenBravo
03-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Ive bought 2 of the bivy bags milsurp... Its really hard to beat the typical $40 price tag *AND* get Gortex all in one mouse click!

BTW, they work GREAT!

EB

greg48
03-20-2013, 05:55 PM
i've got woodland camo as well as a dcu colored one, they of the gore-tex family work very well, i've been in rain storms, thought i'd float away and stayed toasty dry, zippers were tuff, well made.

realist
03-21-2013, 03:11 AM
EB you are right I think the cost can't be beat. I have ordered four for the family. My wife who sews can't match the price.

ElevenBravo
03-21-2013, 07:52 PM
EB you are right I think the cost can't be beat. I have ordered four for the family. My wife who sews can't match the price.

Somtimes... Its best to just not try to re-invent the wheel... Ill trust my LIFE to the GTex Bivy Bags from USGI! I could NEVER make one from scratch with the same material and quality craftsmanship that a surplus bag would cost!

Give one a test, next time it rains or snows... you will be AMAZED!

EB

bourneshooter
03-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks. Look like I'll get a Woodland one in Surplus and maybe add some krylon to make it more universal camo wise - I live in a very ATACS/Multicam friendly enviroment, not a Woodland or DCU one.

izzyscout21
04-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Thanks. Look like I'll get a Woodland one in Surplus and maybe add some krylon to make it more universal camo wise - I live in a very ATACS/Multicam friendly enviroment, not a Woodland or DCU one.

I'm not sure that adding krylon to a GORETEX bivy would be such a great idea. It may totally defeat the purpose of the GORETEX's breathability

bacpacker
04-03-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure that adding krylon to a GORETEX bivy would be such a great idea. It may totally defeat the purpose of the GORETEX's breathability

Applying any kind of coating to Gore Tex will screw up the breathability aspect.