PDA

View Full Version : Chicken run

bacpacker
03-16-2013, 01:37 AM
A little background, I built my chicken run 32'x64' and with 11 birds I thought I had it plenty big enough. Before last fall arrived they had torn the grass up and was down to bare dirt. Needless to say it hasn't gotten any better over the winter. And when it rains, it's slicker than snot. I'm really glad the DW hasn't been shooting any video while I've been in the run. :cool:

Anyway, I've been debating my options. My main and long term plans is to enlarge the run by at least 200%, maybe more. Then divide it into 3-4 sections and use a rotational method of moving the chickens from lot to lot every few weeks, before they can destroy the grass. Once they are moved the grass will come back and can be reseeded if needed. I think this plan will work for them, I know it is successfully used in a lot of ranching operations for cattle, horses, sheep, & goats. I see no reason it won't work for chickens. The down side is the cost of the fencing, post, etc. Plus the time to install the fence and build what gates i will need to incorporate this plan. Long term I do thing it will be worth while, particularly if/when I increase my flock size.

I have been doing some research on a couple of chicken forums I'm on to see what others have used. Most folks on those sites are on small properties and use small coops and much smaller runs than what I have. But today I ran across an idea that looks to me to have some merit for both short and long term use.

http://www.thegardencoop.com/blog/2012/02/07/grazing-frames-backyard-chickens/

I'll not add part of the story because it has some pics and and plans for building the grazing frames. I'd like you fine folks opinions on this idea. I'm seriously considering building 2-4 of these as they will be much cheaper and a whole lot quicker to get in use. What do you think? Helo, since you seem to be the resident expert on chickens, I'm really looking forward to your thoughts.

helomech
03-16-2013, 01:55 AM
Free range.

bacpacker
03-16-2013, 03:16 AM
Possums, coons, skunks, hawks, yotes! Not real practical for us, plus we aren't around as much as I would want to be if we free range.

helomech
03-16-2013, 03:37 AM
We have the same critters where I live also. Remember I am 4 miles from any other house, so we are surrounded by woods.

We have an automatic chicken door, it opens whenever we set it to, and closes when we set it to. Our chickens let themselves out in the morning and put themselves up before the door closes at night. Our dogs watch out for the other critters, we loose some, but there is more gain by letting them out that we loose in predation .

LUNCHBOX
03-16-2013, 07:40 AM
I agree with Helo about letting them free range (I did the same at the old place) I now have them in a coop full time due to the limited space. I do get plenty of eggs so I'm not worried about doing it different at this point. Of course if I had the space I would let them run. There something about seeing chickens all over the place without a care in the world.

If I was using a limited run then I do like the boxes in the link just to save the grass.

helomech
03-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Also you can lay chicken wire on the ground inside your chicken run and stake it down. This will stop the chickens from scratching.

Taz Baby
03-17-2013, 01:51 AM
I agree with Helo about letting them free range (I did the same at the old place) I now have them in a coop full time due to the limited space. I do get plenty of eggs so I'm not worried about doing it different at this point. Of course if I had the space I would let them run. There something about seeing chickens all over the place without a care in the world.

If I was using a limited run then I do like the boxes in the link just to save the grass.

So sorry lunchbox for disliking your post. I didn't mean to do that I must of hit the wrong button. They need to put the dislike button off to the right side by itself away from the other ones so People like me wont hit the wrong one. Sometimes the arrow on my computer moves on its own and won't be still so when I click it it is not where I put it. I would never dislike anyone here.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4775489172342492&pid=15.1&H=160&W=154

I fixed it