PDA

View Full Version : 6" stainless steel and barrel clasp key ring

Xzaniel
03-17-2013, 02:18 PM
I have read in the forums here of folks utilizing "A&P mechanics key rings" that said I searched for them and they seem to be about 2$ USD.

Now I also play a geolocation game called Munzee. And on their website they sell 6" stainless steel barrel cables, 6 for 6$ USD.

So I thought I'd share the link.

http://www.munzee.com/store/Stainless-Steel-Wires.html

Cheers X

helomech
03-17-2013, 02:34 PM
I am an A&P mechanic what is a A&P key ring?

Xzaniel
03-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Okay I can not find the thread I was reading it in (been reading a lot this week) but the Colonist mentioned having an "A&P key ring" in their BOB or EDC. So I googled A&P key ring. And it is stainless steel cable with a barrel clasp. I found this link > http://www.countycomm.com/ring.html < and they refined the term to include 'mechanics' and offer a brief insight then a link to buy. That's all the history I can give right now...

helomech
03-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Huh, must be a sales pitch, I know hundreds of A&P's and none of us use this. Looks like it could be handy though.

robsdak
03-18-2013, 04:24 AM
helo, they are very handy. i have a few i use to hold smaller items together. like my small figure 9's by Nite Ize.

helomech
03-18-2013, 01:57 PM
helo, they are very handy. i have a few i use to hold smaller items together. like my small figure 9's by Nite Ize.

I am sure they are, just find it funny it is called a A&P ring, when no A&P I know of ever heard of one, and most people don't even know what a A&P is.

robsdak
03-18-2013, 06:01 PM
OK, i know who and what they do. :) i have also seen several use and carry them, but i live in a 'flight friendly' area.

helomech
03-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Didn't mean to imply you didn't know what a A&P is, but if you ask 100 random people I bet less than 5 of them do.

What is a flight friendly area?

Xzaniel
03-18-2013, 06:54 PM
I didn't know what an A&P was (when I was younger it was a grocery chain around here)! That's why when I originally read of someone utilizing one of these in there BOB or EDC I had to google "A&P key chain". Then it was "I've seen these items before used for another application" and subsequently linked it for 'us' here... :)

ak474u
03-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Only thing I've seen that resembles these used by aircraft guys is the wire they put thru the holes in bolts and twist it up like bailing wire to retain a nut. Do they even still do that?

helomech
03-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Only thing I've seen that resembles these used by aircraft guys is the wire they put thru the holes in bolts and twist it up like bailing wire to retain a nut. Do they even still do that?

Yes it is called safety wire. Hate doing that, but the pliers make it much easier.

robsdak
03-19-2013, 02:30 AM
Didn't mean to imply you didn't know what a A&P is, but if you ask 100 random people I bet less than 5 of them do.

What is a flight friendly area?

up and coming expanding airports and an Air Force Base with in 20mi from me. yes, the safety wire is a PIA, the pliers make it simple.

Evolver
03-20-2013, 12:10 AM
Looks like someone in the aviation industry that used stainless/galv cable ( Aircraft Cable) day in and day out that made all kinds of things out of it then introduce the A&P Cable Key Chains. It's a good sells ploy... Right? It got our attention. :)

robsdak
03-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Looks like someone in the aviation industry that used stainless/galv cable ( Aircraft Cable) day in and day out that made all kinds of things out of it then introduce the A&P Cable Key Chains. It's a good sells ploy... Right? It got our attention. :)

Evo, not to burst a bubble, but they aren't new. i had them in Boy Scouts , let's say 30yrs. and leave it at that..:) getting old.