PDA

View Full Version : BurnFree dressing review

msomnipotent
03-18-2013, 06:50 PM
The backstory:
I tried a new recipe which called for broiling the meat in the oven while still in the pan, which I never did before. I took it out of the oven with my left hand (with an oven mitt), removed the meat, and then promptly picked up the pan with my bare right hand. And then I stood there a minute thinking, "why does this hurt???" before I threw the pan on my freshly mopped kitchen floor. Just to make sure I really screwed up my hand but good, I panicked and put an ice pack directly onto my burned skin and it stuck. It took me a while to find the burn kit, because it turns out I had all the burn stuff in my car. So all in all, my hand was burned pretty good by the time I got some BurnFree dressing on it. Blisters were already forming on several areas, except where I had to rip the ice pack off of my skin.

The review:

I'm surprised I was able to open it with a burned hand. Once I opened it, a bunch of ooze dripped out of the packet and made things slippery to handle. Be prepared for a mess. I was also expecting some sort of gauze material, but this was a type of foam. The 2x6 dressing is just long enough to cover my palm and weave between 3 of my fingers, which is where most of the burn was. Again, it was oozy and messy, and I had to wrap my hand in a clean kitchen towel because it soaked through the gauze I had. It also didn't seem to do anything for the pain. I didn't see any ingredient listed on the label that I recognize as a pain reliever, so you probably want to pack some Advil with this in your kit. There was a separate bottle of gel in the kit I bought that said it relieved pain, but I was momentarily out of my mind and didn't think to use it. I honestly do not know if the bottle contained the same ingredients as the dressing because the wrapper was thrown out. And it might have just been because my hand was raw, but my hand seemed to hurt a lot worse once the dressing was on it for at least the first hour. The dressing stayed moist for the 3 hours I kept it on my hand and probably would have stayed moist a lot longer. By the time I took it off, the areas where I saw blisters forming only had white patches on them, and the blisters never formed. Three days later, there is nothing but a bright pink patch of skin where the ice pack stuck. It still kind of hurts and I can feel the skin pull every time I move my hand, but I really don't think that it could have been avoided.

Considering that the pan was probably at least 500 degrees, I think this did amazingly well. Well worth the money, IMO. I will be ordering more. I originally bought a small kit from beprepared.com, but I think I will shop around and buy a slightly larger kit. This does have an expiration date, but I bought this at least a year ago, maybe 2 years, and expiration date is 2/14.

I'm also going to keep some in the kitchen and the bath room. I burn myself with my curling iron with surprising frequency. Oh, I also kept an ice pack on my hand the whole time, on top of the kitchen towel, which probably helped as well.

prepguide
03-19-2013, 02:24 AM
Burn Free is a great product. I include it in the first aid kits I produce. I have used it on myself a number of times as well as in the field. It isn't perfect but its pretty good. Thanks for the review.

msomnipotent
03-19-2013, 04:34 AM
Thanks. Before I buy some more, is there a product you think is better? The only other product I have used was called Silvadine or something, and to be honest, it didn't do much of anything for me despite my best efforts. But that was a long time ago. I would hope that burn care has evolved since then!

On the plus side, it appears that my thumb print is permanently screwed up, so good luck tracing those wicked thumb crimes back to me! BWAAAAHAHAHAHA!

ak474u
03-19-2013, 04:43 AM
I feel your pain. When my wife was pregnant, I waited tables at night for extra cash. I picked up a plate that had been under the heat strips on the serving line for an hour bare handed, and it stuck (like I had to fling a 8x12" plate loose onto the kitchen floor). The only thing I had was ice, and some of that blue aloe sunburn spray in my truck. Surprisingly, that stuff works too, although not intended for such burns.

bacpacker
03-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Good review on the burn free product. I need to pick some of that to keep on hand.

Another product most folks wouldn't consider for burns. Lavendar essential oil! The wife got a similar burn to what you described from a hot cokkie sheet. We got haer hand in ice water right away for 30 minutes or so and after drying it I put the oil all over the burned area and wrapped it in gause. The next morning it was only a little red. The blisters that had started forming were all gone. It made a beleiver out of me.