PDA

View Full Version : Prepping for odd scenarios

The Stig
06-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Do you prep for any sort of weird scenarios?

Am in a hotel near an airport and I got to thinking the "what if game".
"What if an airliner crashed into a nuclear power plant?"
"What if a huge damn was made with faulty concrete and it gave away suddenly?"
"What if a huge power outage caused meyhem that overwhelms fire services and my house catches of fire?"

We try to keep our heads planted in more practical scenarios but on occasion maybe we let our mind wander to get creative (thus improving our planning). Heck, maybe there's just some weird situation in your area that makes an "odd scenario" more likely.

bacpacker
06-15-2011, 10:43 PM
I sure do! We live east and southeast from a couple different nuc plants 15 & 40 miles away as the crow fly's, so a release is possible or worse.

We also live maybe 6-10 miles from out local airport, I have participated in air crash training secnarios there.

This area of the state is dotted with dams built mainly in the 1930's and 40's. I have saw photo's of a couple of them that don't look like they are holding up well. One of them had a pretty large crack in a section of it. Our radio group also participated in a couple of training secnarios related to a dam beeing topped during a very heavy rainfall and eventually taking out one of the dams and the resulting wall of water going on down the chain topping the other dams and flooding everything in it's path. We used a software program called "Depiction". It allows you to input different values, rain fall, nuc release-plume, etc. It's very good software and is really pretty eye opening about some scenarios.

As much as we want to plan for everything, there just is no way to know what all could befall you in a particular area. If you travel for your job or pleasure, it just multiplies.

Very good post, I look forward to hearing what stuff other folks look for.

piranha2
06-15-2011, 10:45 PM
The aircraft flying into a nuclear plant isn't likely, however, the next two cause me some loss of sleep. Could happen anytime. remember, the biggest dams were built by the LOW bidders.

LUNCHBOX
06-15-2011, 11:58 PM
I don't think to much on the line of a nuclear situation due to getting out of the area pretty much your top priority. Well, that might be the same answer for most situations. I think we all have our share of power outages in the recent past and they is probably the big one going now. (of course it could be caused naturally or manmade)--although now its anybodies ballgame for what could happen or when it might. If you think about it there has been some weird movies in the past....maybe animals just go crazy...(no, no, not the bird death thing again)

Grumpy Old Man
06-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Given my AO, any of Stig's scenarios are possible. San Onofre reactor is 80 miles SW as the crow flies, Diamond valley Lake (which has 3 dams) is 4 mile south and the Elsinore fault (3rd largest major in CA) is 2 miles east. The one I worry most about is the repercussions of economic collapse amongst the entitlement groups 80 miles west in LA County- think Watts, East LA, South Central, Compton Lakewood, etc. There has been a race war going on over there for 40 years. The MSM doesn't report it, but it is going on. Eventually it would get over here.

LUNCHBOX
06-16-2011, 10:26 PM
How odd of a scenario would it be if a very large group of members (and family) were all at the first big "SHTF OUTING" in Indiana somewhere and something kicked off. That would have been a scenario before anything even happened--lol.