PDA

View Full Version : CDC sounds alarm on deadly, untreatable superbugs

bacpacker
03-27-2013, 01:48 AM
I ran across this article tonight. It may should go under the medical thread instead of here, but it being a news article I choose here. Mods if you feel it should be moved, please help me out and accept my apologies.

This is a long 6 page article. I only put up the first page. But from what I read of it, we should keep an eye out for it. If you know anyone in the medical field, it might be worthwhile to ask a few questions.

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1965133?articlePage=0

by Liz Szabo and Peter Eisler, USA TODAY

Updated: 03/05/2013 02:35pm

Updated: 03/06/2013 05:00pm

A family of "nightmare" superbugs — untreatable and often deadly — is spreading through hospitals across the USA, and doctors fear that it may soon be too late to stop them, senior health officials said Tuesday.

"These are nightmare bacteria that present a triple threat," said Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "They're resistant to nearly all antibiotics. They have high mortality rates, killing half of people with serious infections. And they can spread their resistance to other bacteria."

So far, this particular class of superbug, called carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae, or CRE, has been found only in hospitals or nursing homes, rather than in the community, Frieden said. But officials sounded the alarm partly because, if the bacteria's spread isn't contained soon, even common infections could become untreatable.

The superbug tends to strike immune-compromised people who are hospitalized for a long time or living in a nursing home, Frieden said. And CRE doesn't spread easily from person to person, like the bacteria causing pink eye or strep throat.

Copyright 2013 Page 1 of 6

Twitchy
03-27-2013, 03:08 AM
Ah... these... Very common as they stated in patients who already have a compromised immune system. They are treatable, but by the more dangerous and powerful antibiotics... common examples of these types of diseases are MRSA (most well known), and MDR Tuberculosis (a real nasty critter, big problem in Russian prisons).

ElevenBravo
03-27-2013, 09:23 PM
FFS... If they look like hell, or coughing to beat the band... Keep your distance!

EB