PDA

View Full Version : cheap security force multipliers

Dropy
03-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Been thinking about ways a lone survivor or small group can have some added security to beef up there situation. I know...get more people. And I agree. But lets look at it from the standpoint I mentioned at the beginning for now.

I like a couple dogs. Or even just one dog. Dog sleeps light and can hear, se and smell better than we can. Dog can carry a pack or pull a cart if it is large enough. DOg can also be solid defense if trained properly. Downside is dog requires food and water, but that isn't terribly expensive to be honest. Dog also requires medical care just as humans do, again this can be inexpensive when compared to humans.

Another option that has been on my mind is those cheap window/door security alarms that run on a battery. You can easily carry a dozen of them in a BOB and set them up around your camp on a trip cord to set them off. The alarms are basically 2 piece and when the 2 pieces are separate they make a loud squeely noise. A few feet of light weight line to use as the trip wire and a few of these can be a life saver.

A lot of defensive measures require some stout line to use. High test fishing line is best IMHO. You can always retrieve it if you have time.

A few cans stacked on each other with some line around the bottom set up trip wire style can make enough noise to warn you. And empty metal cans or beer/pop/food cans can be easy to find almost any where. ANY Glass works well here also.

So you cant find cans? How about anything that can be stood up and tipped over? Like a piece of 2x4 wood. Say you find a piece 4 feet long. You stand it on end against something like a tree or wall. Under it where it is to fall you make sure there is a solid surface or something that it can make noise on so that when it falls it makes a noise you can hear. Tie your trip wire to it so that the wire pulls it TOWARDS the noise maker. Simple really.

Think outside the box, stay outside the pinebox!

- - - Updated - - -

Oooo I forgot about my bearbells that I keep on my camera bag. A couple of bells hung up and tied to a trip wire also works well. When your on the move just wrap in a piece of cloth and bury them in ur bag to quiet them down.

Xzaniel
03-27-2013, 03:16 PM
I like your thinking, I have a loyal black chow/chow he's a great dog, doesn't bark unless absolutely necessary silent and invisible in the dark.

Hint for the bearbells is put a small NIB magnet against them when in storage and the 'clacker' will stick and stay silent. I picked up a couple at Walmart that had a net sheath fitted with NIB magnets, works good.

helomech
03-27-2013, 06:50 PM
I am building hundreds of toe poppers, or british ground spikes. If the SHTF stepping on a 20 gauge shot gun shell will ruin someone's day.

Kodiak
03-27-2013, 07:17 PM
I like the idea of using something like a bell over the battery operated alarms for obvious reasons, batteries will be like gold when/if shtf.

Something else I was thinking of is wind chimes, they are loud and a common household item. Havnt tried, but you could probably tie it to a trip wire in such a way as to not allow a light wind to activate it.

2die4
03-27-2013, 10:24 PM
http://s14.postimg.org/781ptlupp/alarm.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/781ptlupp/) Blank 12 gauge shell activator. Will scare them away and force them to change their pants.

Evolver
03-27-2013, 10:52 PM
http://s14.postimg.org/781ptlupp/alarm.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/781ptlupp/) Blank 12 gauge shell activator. Will scare them away and force them to change their pants.

I like!!! It looks like when the pin gets pulled the shell goes bang! :p

I'm also in favor of the trip wire and bell/rattle can... My buddy and his GF are living in the woods in a tent at the moment and the coons are driving them crazy by getting into their trash and spreading it everywhere so I told him about the tripwire and rattle can method and also suggested that he purchased a wrist rocket and shot to make to coons think twice about what happens to their ass after the alarm goes off. :)

Evolver
03-28-2013, 12:01 AM
How is this for cheep? ... $4.52 at Lowes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt_ZATda2XU

2die4
03-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Nice! I'm heading to Lowe's this weekend.

robsdak
03-28-2013, 03:50 AM
Evo, looks like Justa needs shooting lessons. :) "Those who run only DIE TIRED" LMAO!!!!

LUNCHBOX
03-28-2013, 04:19 AM
I saw a couple of the 12 ga alerts at the Goodman Gun Show but passed on them (this time) I know something else that would work. I fish for big catfish at night and I picked up these little whistler alerts. You just tie (rubber band) them to whatever and run the line between the two metal plate and then when pulled it screams. It runs on two watch batteries for years. It isn't something to last forever but in then beginning they may come in handy (I picked them up at Bass Pro)

Taz Baby
03-28-2013, 01:23 PM
We have these all over our property and they work really well. Also when someone who hears them it kinda freaks them out at first because they don't know what happened. We have them hanging on trees and the main alarm is inside of house. Another alarm is outside so they can hear it.
we change the batteries once a year.
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11813.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMzQ2NjM3MTMiLCJza3Ui OiI5MzA2OCIsImlzIjoiMTIuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0A IjoiMjUyNSJ9%0D%0A

David Armstrong
03-28-2013, 03:22 PM
For fixed locations I prefer Guinea Fowl for the home site. Not mobile like a tripwire alarm for camping or on the move, but for a fixed location the are great. Very territorial, very loud, very alert. Plus you get the extra benefit of insect control, eggs, and meat.

Taz Baby
03-28-2013, 05:20 PM
A good guinea is a cooked guinea. I hate those things alive.

helomech
03-28-2013, 05:23 PM
For fixed locations I prefer Guinea Fowl for the home site. Not mobile like a tripwire alarm for camping or on the move, but for a fixed location the are great. Very territorial, very loud, very alert. Plus you get the extra benefit of insect control, eggs, and meat.

I have 2 guinea, and they are great, but the ducks seem to be even more wary that the guinea. My ducks make all kinds of racket even if I go outside.

Taz Baby
03-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Now my Uncle use to have a tom turkey that was his guard dog, so to speak, but it did not like girls. It locked me in the outhouse one night until I was rescued the next morning. I was on a young kid then.

Stg1swret
03-29-2013, 01:31 AM
Geese work well too.

helomech
03-29-2013, 01:39 AM
Geese work well too.

Believe it or not, but our two monkeys let us know what is going on more than any of our other critters, and we have had plenty dogs, chickens, ducks, turkey, geese and so on. When those monkeys see or hear something the shake there cage and make all kinds of racket, and won't stop for a while unless we go outside. And they never have false alarms, they are smart enough to know a real threat from just a stupid bird flying in the air.

And they will fight what ever I fight even if it means them getting killed. I have to be careful when messing around with other people, because even a friendly pat on the back can lead them to think I am fighting someone.

greg48
09-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Along with dogs, guineas make very good alarms, I don't have any, my grandfather always had guineas on the farm just for that reason, they are noisy when distrubed.