PDA

View Full Version : BOV alternative

bacpacker
04-01-2013, 12:25 AM
Just ran across this on another forum. I'm sure it's high dollar and not EMP proof, but it looks Bad Ass IMHO.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/slideshow/2013/03/28/devolro-diablo/#slide=3

Stormfeather
04-01-2013, 02:30 AM
Ive actually been looking into outfitting a truck from the ground up as a BOV. I think my base model is going to be an early 80's toyota. I keep looking and looking, but no luck lately.

Sniper-T
04-01-2013, 02:58 AM
Badass!

bacpacker
04-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Stormy I had 3 early to mid 80s yota. Great trucks and easy as pie to fix if something did break. My favorite was a 86 with the first year extra cab.had little to no electronics in it. And way over 30 mpg.

izzyscout21
04-02-2013, 05:27 PM
That's super cool.

One of these days, I'll start working on a BOV. Right now, it's a matter finding the right vehicle, at the right price, at a time when I can afford it.

ElevenBravo
04-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Im glad Ive already got my BOV, and its my daily driver... Still some work to be done to it before it is a truly finished project. Getting ready to work on my BOT (Bug Out Trailer). Needs tires, lights wired, safety chains, etc.. Going to convert it to pintal setup.

EB

helomech
04-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Im glad Ive already got my BOV, and its my daily driver... Still some work to be done to it before it is a truly finished project. Getting ready to work on my BOT (Bug Out Trailer). Needs tires, lights wired, safety chains, etc.. Going to convert it to pintal setup.

EB

I have used pintal setups in the Army, but what is the advantage of them? I always thought they where horrible, because of the slop in them.

MegaCPC
04-03-2013, 12:48 AM
That thing is badass. I would have started with a solid front axle truck. That bumper is going to put a ton of weight on the already stressed front end. I would definitely rock it though!

I have used pintal setups in the Army, but what is the advantage of them? I always thought they where horrible, because of the slop in them.
Pintle hitches work better on heavier loads, that's why almost all medium duty and up trucks use them for towing. They are sloppy and noisy, but have a much wider range of movement than a ball setup, which can be useful for offroad towing and high angle approaches.

Plus they are much easier and faster to attach and detach than a ball hitch.