PDA

View Full Version : Need help with some storage options

izzyscout21
04-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Guys, maybe one of you has an idea or have seen a product that could fit the bill.

I need a footlocker type storage container that is airtight. Normally I would just get a pelican case, but I need several of these cases. I can't spend an arm and a leg for these, so I was hoping someone here knows of a cheaper alternative to a pelican case.

mitunnelrat
04-10-2013, 09:18 PM
I don't know if they're airtight or not, but I came across some boxes called Tuffy boxes a bit back. Might be a good place to look

Sniper-T
04-10-2013, 09:21 PM
mid sized barrel with a gasket and a snap ring?

scroll to the bottom of this page: http://www.tworedcanoes.com/camping_hanging_food.php

bacpacker
04-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Depending on what size you need, Plano makes some like Pelicans but much cheaper. But Im not sure of sizes.

mitunnelrat
04-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Hey BP, speaking of boxes, what was it you had in the back of your truck last fall? I haven't found one yet with the lock options it had, and I'd like to be able to secure one with the tie downs in my SUV

bacpacker
04-10-2013, 10:25 PM
They came from WalMart but I dont think they carry the same boxes now. Ive had mine for 10+ years. They still carry some as does Tractor supply and probably others. I just got one around Thanksgiving I liked pretty well. I've never had water in any of them during trips in downpours and snow. They work out well and hold a bunch of crap.

mitunnelrat
04-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Thank you. I'd looked at Walmart and don't recall seeing any with the side hasps. I'll look again.

bacpacker
04-11-2013, 12:43 AM
Tractor supply has boxes with hasp. Thats what I got last year. I also got one a couple years ago that had wheels and a handle from Home Depot. Lowes has similar stuff as well. The box is set up for tools, but will work well for what ever and I think it may have hasp as well. Down side to it, the handle seems flimsy when loaded heavy. I just don't extend it very far.

BTW, the boxes I had did not have hasp. There are a two rings type and I used a heavy bike type cable and two locks on each box. I'm sure they can be cut, but will slow somebody down a little.

ak474u
04-11-2013, 01:05 AM
Are the military electronics crates air tight enough for your needs? They aren't as much as pelicans but they look durable.

mitunnelrat
04-11-2013, 01:36 AM
The rings were what I was thinking. Thanks BP

LUNCHBOX
04-11-2013, 04:24 AM
Without asking for to much info Izzy....what size items are you storing? That would give us a better idea of what your looking for.

izzyscout21
04-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Without asking for to much info Izzy....what size items are you storing? That would give us a better idea of what your looking for.

everything.

tents, MRE's, assorted camping gear, sleep systems.......

you know. The norm.

bacpacker
04-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Are you looking for air tight or just something to keep rain out?

AlphaTea
04-11-2013, 03:55 PM
I saw some things at sportsmansguide.com (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/military-misc-storage-containers.aspx?c=171&s=196) that might work.

izzyscout21
04-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Are you looking for air tight or just something to keep rain out?

preferably air tight. I dont need anything getting moldy or musty.

izzyscout21
04-11-2013, 04:08 PM
I saw some things at sportsmansguide.com (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/military-misc-storage-containers.aspx?c=171&s=196) that might work.

yeah, but everything SG has that would work is an arm and a leg. I need several cases, and I don't have a gold tree in the back yard.

AlphaTea
04-11-2013, 05:36 PM
I bought some used open top 55 gal blue drums from the local dump/recycle center for $10 each.
Originally had strawberry syrup in them, but you wouldnt know it now as they dont smell at all.
Have a snap on lid with a rubber gasket and a lock ring to hold it down.
They are pretty light weight. I can stand on the side of one without colapsing it (185#)
I dont use them for potable water. I have TP, clothes, ammo and whatever in them. They make excellent "cache" containers.