PDA

View Full Version : Language skills.

LUNCHBOX
04-11-2013, 05:37 AM
Does anyone speak another language (leaning towards spanish here) or are you planning to learn. We have some soft cover books here at work labeled "Survival Spanish" that I have been looking for certain phrases in. We get quit a few individuals that speak spanish (and nothing else) in the field of work I am in. Has anyone else thought about this issue?

RedJohn
04-11-2013, 06:01 AM
I speak 2 1/2 languages. English and French fluently, Spanish read (understood).

Stormfeather
04-11-2013, 11:25 AM
English is actually my 3rd language, As for languages I do speak, Tagalog, English, and White Mountain Apache. Since Tagalog is very close to Spanish, I do pretty good there as well. Im heading to Monterey California later this year to learn another language courtesy of the military, this isnt my first trip there if that means anything.

izzyscout21
04-11-2013, 03:16 PM
I speak Arabic, Pashto, Dari, Farsi, and German.

None of which I find useful.

bacpacker
04-11-2013, 03:19 PM
I have a hell of a time speaking English! I can get by reading a little German and can understand less spoken. Can't speak it for crap. Nothing else.

ak474u
04-11-2013, 03:20 PM
I speak Texan and some English. I know a little survival and construction Spanish, but the only words in Spanish I find to be critical are manos arriba! (Sp?) which is hands up!

bacpacker
04-11-2013, 03:23 PM
I will have to remember that. I could se that being very handy.

Daca102090
04-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Spanish, a little german, a little french and a little italian.
I become more fluent when I am red faced pissed...

mitunnelrat
04-11-2013, 10:49 PM
I know enough to ask people in French or Spanish if they speak English, and I never got that far in the Korean language. With that I only know enough to use the honorific for an older man and woman while respectfully asking them to move away from me, or telling them to get the fuck away from me.

I've been tossing around the idea of buying Rosetta Stone for learning Spanish at work.

Sniper-T
04-11-2013, 11:16 PM
I was pretty fluent in Greek when I first moved back from there, but 20 years later, I can hardly order in a resteraunt.
I have a smattering of French, German, and Spanish, but mostly just enough to insult someone, an/or make an ass of myself.

A couple days ago I stopped for a car in the ditch. Was a German neighbour of mine's wife... who spoke no english. But with a little patience, we were able to make ourselves understood enough, that I pulled her out of the ditch, without a problem, explain a problem with her car (bent tie-rod), and send her on her way (and me too)

I've been in many situations (mostly good), where a little patience and a lot of sign language and pointing can get the meaning across.

Back in University, I dated a girl who spoke 9 languages. That was really cool!

Grumpy Old Man
04-13-2013, 05:10 PM
I have some spanish, i understand more than I can easily speak, as I don't think in spanish. And I'm fixin to become fluent in Texan.

David Armstrong
04-13-2013, 05:19 PM
I can order whisky or women in about a dozen languages, but other than that, nada. Spanish was a second language when I was young and it comes back to me fairly quickly when I work with it regularly, but otherwise it is very slow going.

Katrina
04-14-2013, 04:42 AM
English, passable French, enough to make me understandable, some German from when I was little. Used to be able to understand Armenian, thanks to grandmother who lived next door to us but I don't think I'd be able to understand it now.
Can say please and thank you in a couple of other languages but that's about it

Stormfeather
04-15-2013, 06:23 AM
I speak Arabic, Pashto, Dari, Farsi, and German.
None of which I find useful.

Ive got a few of these as well, heading to DLI for NK next it seems. Maek Joo Chu Say Yo! (spelling may be off, I last studied it in 1989!)

The Stig
04-18-2013, 10:20 PM
I speak fluent frontier gibberish and swearing.

Sadly, that's about it. I know some German words.

piranha2
04-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Cervesa, por favor?

izzyscout21
04-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Ive got a few of these as well, heading to DLI for NK next it seems. Maek Joo Chu Say Yo! (spelling may be off, I last studied it in 1989!)

LOL. I went to DLI. I actually liked Rosetta Stone more, believe it or not.
i actually learned the German through immersion while i was stationed there.
I learned Dari and Pashto from my terp while deployed.

i'm working on mandarin, and can understand russian. I can speak enough of it to get by, but its very crude.

as much Dora and Diego as my kids watch, the kids will have me fluent in spanish if im not careful ;)

ak474u
04-19-2013, 04:41 PM
LOL. I went to DLI. I actually liked Rosetta Stone more, believe it or not.
i actually learned the German through immersion while i was stationed there.
I learned Dari and Pashto from my terp while deployed.

i'm working on mandarin, and can understand russian. I can speak enough of it to get by, but its very crude.

as much Dora and Diego as my kids watch, the kids will have me fluent in spanish if im not careful ;)

I'm convinced that Dora has drugs in that backpack, she's a mule for the cartel. Lol

Fidel MD
08-09-2013, 03:44 PM
English, Spanish (more or less a job requirement), German (stationed there 3 years), Hebrew, a little Latin and Greek, some french, Portuguese, Dari, Pushto, Arabic, Farsi. Oh, and I can swear pretty well in Russian.

My wife and I try and learn Finnish, but it i tough. It's called a heavenly language since it will take a eternity to learn to speak it well.

ladyhk13
08-14-2013, 04:41 AM
Izzy tries to look dumb but he's actually a rocket scientist in hiding. German was my first language but is made my American grandmother mad so my mom learned English and stopped speaking her native tongue to me...she didn't want to upset her mother in law in this new country. Kind of sucks. Only remember a few things. Took Spanish in high school and college but forgotten most of it. Can say hello in Japanese and Korean but that's about it. But hey, I can write in pig Latin so does that count?

izzyscout21
08-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Izzy tries to look dumb but he's actually a rocket scientist in hiding.

nah, i just dont show all my cards.

you've seen more of my deck than most

Domeguy
08-14-2013, 03:46 PM
I'm convinced that Dora has drugs in that backpack, she's a mule for the cartel. Lol

Thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning.

ladyhk13
08-14-2013, 08:42 PM
nah, i just dont show all my cards.

you've seen more of my deck than most

Does that make me special???? Not the kind of special that rides on the short bus...

Gunfixr
08-15-2013, 12:17 AM
Well, English, and some German. Not much, took two yrs in high school, but 30yrs of not using it has left its toll.

Been wanting to learn several, but no real time to devote. The way things are going, Spanish seems likely. I've always liked the sound of Russian. Thought about Arabic.

Been wanting to learn Gaelic, since I am of Scottish decent.

Got a good friend who can speak something like 5 or 6 languages, just moving form one to another in the middle of a conversation.

Domeguy
08-15-2013, 05:21 AM
I don't mean to brag here...ok....I am.....I am fluent in 3 languages, totally distinct but with a common ancestor. I speak English (American English), The Queens English, (British English), and Southern American Redneck (not much English at all).

bacpacker
08-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Very good DG. I forgot to add southern rednck to mine. Very important.