PDA

View Full Version : Fishing gear.

LUNCHBOX
04-11-2013, 08:57 AM
We all have posted our means of collecting water, canning food or hunting. Has anyone given any thought to survival fishing gear? I have a handful of sinkers and hooks (various sizes) in a cigar tube and a small roll (100 yards) of 10/12 pound line in my B.O.B. I also have a few rods that collapse but I wouldn't trust them in that type of situation. I would probably just set up a canepole style rod at that time. I don't worry about a bobber due to any small piece of wood being available to use as one. Bait is also easily available if you know where to look.

Obviously if you have the means you would use a regular rod/reel setup but I'm looking for the on the move version. Some of the packing lists I have seen did not have fishing gear listed and I feel it could/will be a vital piece of equipment.

Onestep
04-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Here's what I'm doing LB.
I have a 4 piece spinning pack rod. I am removing the butt section and replacing it with a 1" diameter section. Within that I will store leader material, terminal tackle and some small lures. This will be in some sort of case (haven't determined what that will be yet) that will pack in the main BOB. The biggest problem I see is protecting the spinning reel bail so I'm looking for a bail-less reel.

In my personal BOB (small everyday belt bag) I have a sewing machine bobbin with 10# braid line and a small tube with some panfish hooks, split shots and a couple of 1/8 oz. jigs. With this I can rig a stick/limb with the briad for a makeshift pole, attach the terminal tackle (using a stick like you said for a bobber) catch dinner or a small fish and use it for bait for something larger.

Taz Baby
04-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Here is what we have. The e z clip hooks go on e z and you can store them in any medicine or vitamin bottle.

Trotline

http://www.gablesportsga.com/images/trotline.jpg

http://www.ezcliptrotline.com/images/Clips.JPG

bacpacker
04-11-2013, 03:14 PM
I dont have much of an answer for a rod/reel for the BOB. I do carry a small Altoids plastic box with various sinker and hooks. I have also put in a couple of small three way swivels. I also have a small spool of 8 lb test, maybe 1-200 yards. I like the idea of limb rigging. Another idea for a float would be some type of small bottle. I have used a screw top coke bottle as a type of trotline.
Taz that is a nice set up as well. Gotta find some of those.

Taz Baby
04-11-2013, 09:15 PM
here ya go BP.

http://www.memphisnet.net/category/trot_winders?gclid=CJj10JXEw7YCFQc3nAod4j8Avg

mitunnelrat
04-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Well, it seems to me this interesting yo-yo thing made it home with me last fall. I packed it in a compass pouch with an altoids tin as a tackle kit, and a length of brass wire I can use to secure it or make snares. The yo-yo has a its own line I intend to test this spring (if the water levels and weather would ever cooperate).

I can't remember exactly what I put in the tackle kit, so I'll have to double check later, but I like fishing so I can't imagine I missed much.

I also EDC a fish spear, hook, snap swivel, and 8# line in my wallet.

Finally, I've got two collapsible rods I'm thinking to throw in my INCH setup when I get it, and (depending on how I set up) I'll probably end up putting a cast net somewhere in my gear. They're heavy though, so its not something I'd backpack.

Willie51
04-12-2013, 02:16 AM
Fishing gear is an important part of my BOB, especially since I love doing it and feel confident I can catch fish if nothing else.

I have 2 each Automatic Fishing Reels YoYo Type- 60 Pound Test Nylon Line Wire Trigger. I also have a telescoping 6 ft. rod that I bought at Bass Pro Shop there in Sevierville, TN and it collapses down to approximately 12" and fits in backpack. It's made for an open faced spinning reel but I installed a Zebco 33 because that's what I had laying around for the kids to use when panfishing. Plus with the closed face, I don't have to worry about damage as much while in backpack. A 202 or 404 would also be lighter and work just fine for survival. I don't use closed faced spinning reels in my regular fishing, but for survival it could be a blessing. I then put a Penn neoprene reel cover on it for protection plus it has enough room inside the cover for some additional small tackle, jigs and line to make trotlines.

David Armstrong
04-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Like Taz, a trotline. Easy to set up and use, small and light to carry.

Grumpy Old Man
04-13-2013, 05:05 PM
I like the trotline idea as well. I have 30' of WF7W flyline and a couple of leaders, that I can use on a branch or cane pole. It's rather specialized but I've been fly fishing for over 50 years so I can make it work. YMMV. A small spool of 8 lb test and a variety of hooks are also good to have. But then again, I have 6 tackle boxes,2 fly fishing duffles and some number of rods, so I have a lot to choose from when I put together a kit.

Sniper-T
04-13-2013, 05:20 PM
I love fishin'!! But even more... I LOVE catchin'!

It doesn't matter where I am, I always have some fishing gear with me. I have a bunch of these made up:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/TackleBoxesFishingLine/PRDOVR~0782513P/Plano+Pro+Latch+Slim+Tray.jsp?locale=en

for different situations (pan fish, bottom feeders, bass, pike, etc.) all the dividers are removable, so customizing them is really simple. each can hold a small spool of line, snaps, swivels, hooks, and some lures. There are a million sizes/shapes available, so there is one for every need.

I combine that with a collapsible rod/spinning reel, and I'm good to go. If I don't have the rod, then trot lines (night lines) are the way to go.

mmmm
fishin...

mitunnelrat
04-14-2013, 12:11 AM
Trot lines are only legal for some commercial fishermen in MI, so I've never bothered with them. I've never even seen a kit like Taz linked in the stores here. The cast net isn't much better because its illegal on inland waters here, but they are allowed on the great lakes and connecting waters, and sold in local stores. Possessing one in normal life won't forfeit my license and other gear.

ETA: I grabbed "Build the Perfect Survival Kit" on my way out the door tonight. I thought I'd gotten the cast net idea from there, but a quick read on his fishing section proved me wrong. What I should be looking for is a gill net, which deploys in similar fashion to a trot line.
http://www.bestglide.com/deluxe_gill_net.html

MegaCPC
07-29-2013, 12:45 AM
Was searching around the site and came across this thread. I think carrying a basic fishing kit in your BOB/GHB/whateverbag is a very smart idea (if you are near water of course.) Fishing gear is light, and easy to carry. Fish are quick and easy to prepare.

I carry a little tool kit in my GHB that also has a small fishing kit.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/megacpc/fishingkit_zpsa302211c.jpg (http://s210.photobucket.com/user/megacpc/media/fishingkit_zpsa302211c.jpg.html)

150yds of line. Can also be used for other things, like a tripwire.
Assorted hooks
2 lures
Assorted sinkers. These can be cast into bullets if need be, or used as projectiles for a slingshot.
Bobbers
The tool kit includes pliers for removing hooks.

A rod can me made and bait can be found, so that's it. Takes up little space, doesn't weigh a lot, it just makes sense to have if you live near water.

bacpacker
07-29-2013, 12:51 AM
I have set up small kits out of small mint tins up to altoid tins size. My favorite though is a large cigar tube. Takes up no space and holds quite a lot of gear.