PDA

View Full Version : "Trauma" treatment overkill because I'm a klutz ;)

mitunnelrat
04-11-2013, 10:30 PM
The title pretty much says it all. This time of year we still need some wood to keep the place warm, but due to the time of year and the sloppy conditions outside I decided to bring in some trash cans of short pieces rather than carry armload after armload of stove lengths. Long story short, I wasn't paying attention to the spacing I had, and rammed my hand into/ along a sharp corner of a metal electrical unit to our furnace as I was going past it.

The "wound" was superficial, but long, and bled more than I figured it should have. So, I cleaned it, got the dead skin out of the way so it wouldn't trap anything underneath it, and as I went to grab some bandaids I saw a "better" option - a guaze roll. :D

Oh, it still stings a little...

Medic! MEEEDIIIIIICCCCCC! Lol.

bacpacker
04-12-2013, 12:16 AM
OUCH!

Taz Baby
04-12-2013, 01:18 AM
Reading that made my skin crawl, kinda like when you hear someones kid has lice, you start scratching your head, lol. I am glad you had the stuff in easy reach. But just for note, flour stops the bleeding fast. So always keep flour handy for when you can't stop the bleeding. Just pack in on the wound and add pressure. I keep a 5 lb. bags in everything I ride in.

mitunnelrat
04-12-2013, 01:39 AM
I didn't know that about flour. Thanks Taz!

Sorry to make everyone "feel" this one. lol

ak474u
04-12-2013, 03:27 AM
Reading that made my skin crawl, kinda like when you hear someones kid has lice, you start scratching your head, lol. I am glad you had the stuff in easy reach. But just for note, flour stops the bleeding fast. So always keep flour handy for when you can't stop the bleeding. Just pack in on the wound and add pressure. I keep a 5 lb. bags in everything I ride in.

I have lice.... You're welcome

LUNCHBOX
04-13-2013, 04:47 AM
Tea bags work also. (that was hard to type since I was scratching my head.....Taz)

Twitchy
04-15-2013, 02:44 AM
I wouldn't recommend using a non-sterile packing material for an open wound... Most bleeding can be controlled simply with good direct pressure, elevation, and if needed, pressure on a pressure point above the wound... Anything further than that, and it is quickclot / Tourniquet time... I would vote Flour is a no no unless its a very serious injury with no other alternatives, because you are opening yourself up to an infection... no pun intended.

mitunnelrat
04-15-2013, 05:00 AM
I wouldn't recommend... I would vote... ...no... ...no... ...no... ...no...
I "no" what you're saying there, negative nancy. If not for the fact it wasn't on long, and I had a wonderfully thick smear of triple anitibiotic ointment after I spent some time irrigating it I would have responded differently. I just thought I'd have a little fun at my own expense, and see if I could still wrap my own hand as well as a medic :D

(mtr's) pun intended.

Stormfeather
04-15-2013, 05:12 AM
Ok folks, heres a quick field expedient down and dirty way to close a wound. Quick clean out with peroxide or alcohol, direct pressure to slow it down enough til the capillaries close. Head wounds are always the worst. They bleed forever and end up being a little scratch.
Anyways, close it off with direct pressure, once it stops, use superglue over the wound. Closes it off quickly, and provides a protective barrier. Down and dirty, but fast and field expedient and it WORKS! If theres medical facilities available, obviously use that option. But overseas in wartime, you would be surprised how many medics and pipe hitters have 3-4 tubes right inside their IFAK

mitunnelrat
04-15-2013, 05:16 AM
For as often as I've heard about using superglue you'd think I'd have some around and think of it, right? I need to get on that.

bacpacker
04-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Superglue is the real deal. The wife used to work for a dr and had his kids at a swim meet. One of them cut their foot and the dr grabbed a tube of SG and glued it close after cleaning it out. First time I had ever heard of it but it works.

apssbc
04-16-2013, 02:36 AM
Superglue is the shit. It was originally designed for wound healing. I keep it in all my kits for closing wounds up.

mitunnelrat
04-16-2013, 02:42 AM
I jumped into a conversation on this very thing today at the bank. One of the loan officers was talking about slicing her arm open bad enough she should probably have gotten stitches, but decided to just glue it shut.

I thought of this thread and blurted out "Superglue!" Like I was the smart kid in class :D

Twitchy
04-18-2013, 01:35 AM
Ok folks, heres a quick field expedient down and dirty way to close a wound. Quick clean out with peroxide or alcohol, direct pressure to slow it down enough til the capillaries close. Head wounds are always the worst. They bleed forever and end up being a little scratch.
Anyways, close it off with direct pressure, once it stops, use superglue over the wound. Closes it off quickly, and provides a protective barrier. Down and dirty, but fast and field expedient and it WORKS! If theres medical facilities available, obviously use that option. But overseas in wartime, you would be surprised how many medics and pipe hitters have 3-4 tubes right inside their IFAK

Preferably alcohol despite it stinging like you wouldn't believe... Peroxide can kill tissue as well as harmful bacteria. Friendly notice :D

I "no" what you're saying there, negative nancy. If not for the fact it wasn't on long, and I had a wonderfully thick smear of triple anitibiotic ointment after I spent some time irrigating it I would have responded differently. I just thought I'd have a little fun at my own expense, and see if I could still wrap my own hand as well as a medic :D

meh... grumble grumble grumble... LOL.. If i was in the field and all i had was flour, id probably use it to stop bleeding... but that is provided EVERYTHING ELSE has failed... Gauze works great for something like this as long as there is a pad under it... otherwise it will suck removing it as it will rip the scab off as well... I made that mistake once, and oh boy i never made it again...

realist
04-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Uh I think you got it wrong. I thought the alcohol was for drinking, Jameson would be better. Hemostatic gauze works well if you are having problems with bleeding. But then a good pressure bandage would work good too. With regard to the gauze there is on problem taking it off just so long are you are the one taking if off someone else.........